Potency Problems Symptoms and Cures
Potency problems range from difficulty in obtaining, or maintaining, an erection, to an inability to ejaculate during a climax. The causes range from discomfort in the penis or testicles, to reduced blood supply (common in middle-aged or older diabetic men and those with clogged arteries), anxiety, tension, or other emotional disorders.
- Partial erection only - the penis may be too floppy and limp for penetration
- Erection satisfactory until penetration attempted, when it disappears
- Pain experienced in penis or testicles when intercourse attempted
- Prevailing anxiety or depression reduces libido (sexual urge) and/or causes erectile failure
This is a particularly valuable therapy for complaints such as potency problems which tend to have multiple causes. A whole food diet would lie at the center of any treatment, together with regular exercise and effective relaxation. Hydrotherapy might be employed to administer herbal and/or aromatherapy remedies in baths and sweet-smelling compresses.
Vitamins and Minerals
A whole food diet with a high percentage of raw fresh fruit and vegetables would also include freshly squeezed juices. A particular combination recommended to improve potency comprises 5 fl. oz. (140 ml) red cabbage juice, 3 fl. oz. (85 ml) celery juice and 2 fl. oz. (55 ml) lettuce juice. Drink twice daily (if the taste is not to your liking, add some ground spice such as clove, nutmeg, and/or dash of Worcestershire sauce or a little orange juice). Oily fish and fish roe contain fatty acids that help make healthy sperm.
Specific dietary supplements include zinc gluconate, pollen, and a high-potency vitamin B-complex to counteract tension and stress. Calcium and magnesium, among the antioxidant nutrients, are especially beneficial in cases of anxiety and "feeling wound up."
Most of the herbal remedies prescribed for prostate gland are also recommended to help improve potency. Siberian ginseng is also used, as are elixirs of basil, celery and savory mixed with fortified wine. Sip very strong mint tea or some ginseng tea half an hour before lovemaking.
Essence of cedarwood is reputed to stimulate the sexual senses. Add to a massage oil, or to bathwater, place a few drops on the bed linen, or heat in a candle burner, dissolved in sweet almond oil. Other erotic essences include rose, ylang-ylang, lavender, clove or ginger.
Take every 12 hours for up to 5 days: Lycopodium 30c for a surge of desire with the anticipation of failure, and when the penis is cold and small; Agnus 30c when the erection is not firm enough for penetration, general weakness, when the penis is small and cold, especially if intercourse has been very frequent or if erectile problems have recently come on; Selenium 30c for erectile problems associated with dribbles of semen while asleep, increased desire for sex and erotic fantasies; and Arnica 30c following a bruising injury to the penis.
Acupuncture, yoga and relaxation or meditation, dance and music therapy, art therapy, laughter therapy, and t'ai chi could all play useful roles (depending on personal tastes).
Any of the above therapies may be suggested by a doctor after diagnosis. Viagra is used to boost the circulation to the penis and promote erections but it is not suitable for people suffering from angina or other heart problems. Medicines known to affect potency include alcohol, diuretics, several prescribed for high blood pressure, barbiturate anticonvulsants, appetite suppressors, some peptic ulcer drugs and some antidepressants.
- Maintain a healthy heart and blood vessels
- Avoid STDs (sexually transmitted disease) by practicing safe sex with first-time partners
- Keep the penis and testicles scrupulously clean and seek medical advice for any injuries or rashes
- Seek medical advice for persistent depression, anxiety or phobias
- Seek medical advice for lumps, soreness, blood or pus associated with the genitals
- The longer a potency problem is allowed to continue, the more difficult it may be to solve
- Relax - performance anxiety (nervous before lovemaking) commonly causes erection problems
- If you do not know the cause of your problem, see your doctor for a check up