Understanding Different Terms Used in SolderingFitness Equipment
Understanding different terms used in Soldering
Understanding different terms used in Soldering are essential before moving forward to the process of soldering and desoldering.
Solder: is a metal alloy usually consisting of the elements lead and tin.
60/40 Solder: refers to 60% tin and 40% lead metal alloy.
Rosin: is the flux contained in the hollow core of the solder and it is a non corrosive cleaning agent.
Wetting: is the process of the solder molecules combining with the molecules of the metals being soldered.
Tinning: is the process of lightly coating with solder. It prolongs tip life, improves heat transfer, and adds rigidity and strength to multi-strand wires. A blunt soldering iron tip can lead to soldering bridge which can result in short circuit so tinning is an important aspect for attaining a perfect soldering process.
Solder Bridge: results when two adjacent foils are shorted together by solder.
Cold Solder Connection: poor quality solder connection, usually results from insufficient heat, not heated long enough, component movement during cooling, using dirty soldering iron tip.
Rosin Connection: poor quality solder connection, usually a result of insufficient heat or poor transfer of heat from the soldering iron tip to the connection being made.
Good Solder Connection: should appear smooth, shiny and completely covered by solder. It should also be physically strong and resistance free.
Tools for Soldering
A few inexpensive tools for electronic kit assembly/soldering will make the job easier and faster. We may use the following tools for Soldering:
• Screwdrivers (small and medium size). See that the blade of the screwdriver is suitable for various screw heads. Solderering and desoldering is done basically for the PCB and the Circuit boards have different kinds of screw so it would be feasible to buy a set of screwdrivers with changeable screwdriver points.
• Side cutter, nail cutter or micro shear. It should be sharp. Test to see that its tip can cut ordinary thread easily.
• Soldering iron is one the most important tools for the electronic kit so chose a Soldering Iron which best suits our purpose. Don’t compromise as an ordinary soldering iron can make your Circuit board useless
• Tweezers or noise for straightening component leads.
• Blade or knife: For cleaning component leads.