TD Ameritrade vs E-Trade vs TradeKing vs OptionsHouse vs Scottrade
TD Ameritrade has been helping their clients since 1975 take control of their financial and investment decisions. Clients can make their own informed decisions and trade and invest as they wish on TD Ameritrade.
TD Ameritrade Features
TD Ameritrade offers a full range of brokerage, trading and investing services including:
- Heat Maps: You will be able to find the stock market hot sectors and the lower performing sectors with their heat map.
- Watch List: Stay on top of all of your investments and trades.
- Objectivity Research: Read third party research reports that will help you make the right financial and investing decisions.
- Live CNBC Streaming: The ability to watch CNBC as you make your decisions and help you keep up with the economic news and reports.
- Tools and Calculators: TD Ameritrade offers many tools and calculators like retirement planner, Morningstar Instant X-Ray, IRA comparisons and many more.
- Educational Resources: These resources will help you learn about every type of investment so you can make the informed decisions.
TD Ameritrade offers access to all of the following platforms:
- Web Platform
- Trade Architect
- Mobile Trading
On TD Ameritrade, you can trade and invest in the following stock market products:
- Mutual Funds
TD Ameritrade Pricing and Commissions
TD Ameritrade offers the following prices and commission:
- Stocks and ETFs cost $9.99 on the internet, $34.99 over the phone and $44.99 for a broker assisted trade. These prices are per trade.
- They offer hundreds of no-transaction fee mutual funds; otherwise it is $49.99 for no-load funds and no commission for load funds.
- Options cost $9.99 plus $0.75 fee per contract for internet trades.
- Futures and options on futures cost $2.25 fee per contract (plus exchange & regulatory fees).
E-Trade was founded in 1982 as another low cost brokerage firm to help clients handle their trades and investment decisions without high commissions.
E-Trade offers the following investing tools and features:
- Smart technology: They offer innovative and easy-to-use tools that make it easy for you to make smart investing decisions.
- Retirement Planning: Their retirement planning calculators will let you know if you are staying on track with retirement plans.
- E-Trade Pro: This is their premier trading platform for active traders.
- Free Research: Clients will get the very best and up to date trading and investing information including exclusive market commentary, educational videos, live and on-demand web seminars and demos and tutorials.
- Screening: They offer all types of stock market screeners to help you find the best investments and trades.
- Professional Advice: Online or at one of their retail branches, you can get professional advice about stocks, ETFs, options and mutual funds.
- Options Analytical Tools
- Live Streaming CNBC
E-Trade Pricing and Commissions
E-Trade has the following prices and commissions:
- Stocks, options and ETFs cost $9.99 per trade with discounts on larger trades.
- Options contracts cost $0.75.
- Futures contracts cost $2.99.
- They offer more than 1,300 no-load, no transaction fee mutual funds and over 8,000 mutual funds.
They also offer bond trading and Forex trading. You can also trade free for 60 days at E-Trade.
TradeKing was founded in 2005 and has been one of the leaders in low commission online brokerages. They offer low cost pricing that is easy to understand and plenty of free tools for both traders and investors.
TradeKing Tools and Features
TradeKing offers the following features and investing tools:
- Market and Company Snapshots: The ability to know exactly what is happening in the market and with specific stocks.
- Watch Lists
- Quotes and Charting: TradeKing offers great charting abilities including interactive charting.
- Research: Get free access to objective analysis and S&P research reports.
- Technical Analysis: A complete technical analysis suite of tools including chart pattern recognition.
- Option Chains: This is a great feature for all option traders that make it simple to understand and place option trades, including complex multi-leg option trades.
TradeKing Pricing and Commissions
TradeKing offers the following prices:
- A $4.95 flat rate on all stock trades
- $0.65 plus a $4.95 base per option contract.
New clients can also get a $150 transfer fee credit at TradeKing.
OptionsHouse was founded in 2005 and they are dedicated to providing active option traders with the best commissions, high speed and trading tools available.
OptionsHouse Features and Tools
OptionsHouse offers the following option trading tools:
- Live Action Scanner: This scanner scans all streaming quotes, volatilities and other metrics to help you find the best option trade.
- Strategy Seek: Input forecasts and risk proprieties and this tool will find the most appropriate options for you to trade.
- Snapshot Analysis: This tool will analyze risk vs reward in one click.
- ExitPlan: With every option trade, you need an exit plan, and this tool will help you.
- Adjust Trade: You will be able to find a way to adjust your current trade if you need to with this great options tool.
OptionsHouse Prices and Commissions
OptionsHouse has the following prices and commissions:
- Stocks trade at a flat rate of $4.95 per trade.
- Options trade at a base rate of $4.95 plus $0.50 per contract
- 100 Free Trades at Optionshouse
- Get a FREE Kindle Fire HD when you open and fund an OptionsHouse account at Optionshouse
- Get a FREE Xbox 360 when you open and fund a new OptionsHouse account at Optionshouse
Scottrade was founded in 1980 by Rodger Riney and has ever since been one of the top online brokerage firms. They offer transparent and easy to understand, not to mention, cheap commissions on stock trades.
Scottrade Investment Products
With Scottrade, you can trade in any type of investment product, including stocks, options, ETFs, mutual funds, fixed income, IRAs and international investing.
Scottrade Features and Tools
Scottrade offers investors and traders the following tools and features:
- Powerful Tools for Portfolio Management: This tool is powered by Morningstar and will help all investors and traders select the right trade or investment.
- Morningstar Quotes: Morningstar quotes and review information.
- Quick Trade Bar: You will be able to place trades while browsing online. If you find a news item that you want to trade on, you will be able to do so quickly.
- Market Snapshots: Get the pulse of the market with these snapshots of stocks, ETFs and mutual fund screeners.
- Birds Eye View: This feature will show you top market performers.
Scottrade Pricing and Commissions
Scottrade offers the following trading prices and commissions:
- Stocks and ETFs cost $7 per trade online and $32 for broker assisted trades and telephone trades.
- Online option trades cost $7 plus $1.25 per contract.
- No fees for no load, no transaction fee mutual funds, $17 for no-load funds. Fees are higher for broker assisted trades.
Online Stock Brokers Conclusion
These online stock brokers all have great trading and investing tools. TD Ameritrade has the most trading platforms available for all types of trades and affordable futures trading commissions. E-Trade has many tools at your disposal, plus they have local retail brokers that you can talk to in person.
TradeKing is great for option trades with their analytical charting tools and OptionsHouse offers the lowest commissions on options trades. Scottrade is the best all around online broker offering the most comprehensive list of investing products.