Target Vs JCPenney Vs Kohl's: Prices, Service and Website Reviewed
Target is a well-known department store name that has been around since I was a little kid. Target offers a wide selection of consumer and household goods including clothes, shoes, beauty care, appliances, and much more. They carry all major brands and minor brands of products. Their main categories have many subcategories that include everything.
- Women: Clothing, shoes and accessories.
- Men: Clothing, shoes and accessories.
- Baby: Clothing, toys, car seats, health and safety, feeding, nursery furniture and strollers.
- Kids: Clothing, shoes and accessories for boys and girls.
- Beauty: Bath and body, fragrances, hair care, makeup, skin care, oral care and more.
- Home: Bath, bedding, appliances, décor, improvement, kitchen and dining, storage and patio and garden.
- Kitchen: Bake wear, dinner wear, serve wear, appliances, tools and gadgets and more.
- Furniture for the bedroom, home office, kids rooms, dining, living room and patio.
- Electronics: Cameras, cell phones, camcorders, computers, TVs, iPads and iPods and video games.
- Video games for all platforms.
- Toys: Outdoor and indoor toys, puzzles, learning toys, games, riding toys and stuffed animals.
The customer ratings and customer comments for Target.com are not very good. The main complaint is their customer service. For a department store as large as target, customers are saying that the customer service is terrible. It seems that the main complaint with Target customer service is that when you call them, you are calling out of the United States. And usually, this type of complaint means that you get nowhere when trying to get answers. The overall main complaint with Target online, is that the ordered product was either wrong or it was sent to a previous or wrong address. They have been rated the following:
- ResellerRatings.com gives them an overall rating of 1.35/10 with 282 reviews.
- YahooShopping.com rates Target 3 stars out of 5 stars based on 415 customer ratings.
- Stella Services rates Target.com Excellent
- PriceGrabber.com gives them an overall rating of 2.14/5 based on 22 reviews.
Customer comments, both positive and negative include:
- “I don't understand why people are complaining about Target customer service. I ordered a $400 piece of furniture. The delivery company called to inform me when it would be delivered and it was on-time. Some of the screws were missing, so I called. I spoke to the nicest person who provided me with several options as a resolution. In the end I took a discount and bought the screws at my local hardware store. Sure, I had to make a trip to the hardware store, but it was better than waiting for the item to be picked up and returned.”
- "Despite the bad reviews people have left, I mostly love Target. Everything I've ordered from their website has been received in a timely matter at an affordable price. They have a great selection. However, I have tried to make returns using my Target RedCard (Debit) and was refunded and immediately charged for the item that I now no longer have. That was incredibly annoying, however my positive experiences with Target do outweigh this issue. I recommend getting money back in CASH and not back to your card though. "
- “After sending the wrong item Target treated me like it was my fault. They expected me to do all the work to return the item. They refused to send the correct item, insisting that I would have to repurchase it if I wanted it.”
Target has a good online website with clear categories and sub-categories. One of the most important functions of a website is to be able to easily find what you are looking for and a search engine that actually finds what you enter into that search engine. Since department store websites are full of so many different items, the search engine should be able to find the product or brand you are looking for.
The Target website’s search worked fine with everything I searched for. If I entered in a brand, it showed me all products made by that brand. If I searched for a product, the Target website showed me all products made by all brands.
Once I got to the page of products, the Target website gave me options to refine my search. I could sort the search by:
- Category of the product
- And there are even more refinements depending on the product
Once I refined by search, I could sort by the following criteria:
- Price – low to high
- Price – high to low
- Average ratings
- Best seller
Target’s website gives you the opportunity to click on sales items, categories, sub-categories and everything on the page you are on. Each page on the Target website is full of products and brands that you can click on just to browse their online store or to find that particular item you are looking for.
Overall, I like the design of the Target website. It is busy, but not overly busy as to make you want to stop looking. The page loads up fast, mainly because they don’t have animated ads that can slow some websites down.
- Spend $150, Save $15; Spend $250, Save $50 at Target
- Sale on select sleepwear at Target
- Save $30 on Philips Norelco SensoTouch 2D electric shaver with Jet Clean at Target
Target Free Shipping
Target offers free standard shipping if you pay using your Target Credit card, Target Visa credit card or Target debit card.
JCPenny is another well known department store that has been in business for more than 100 years. Like other department store websites, JCPenny also has a very large selection of items for every need and carries all major and minor brands of products and clothing. Their main categories include:
- For the Home includes everything you could want or need in your home with sub-categories of departments, brands and shops. This category includes everything from the bath to vacuums.
- Bed and Bath has bedding, bath and bedroom furniture and décor.
- Window is their category for all types of curtains, blinds and window accessories.
- Women: Clothing, accessories and special sizes.
- Men: Clothing, accessories and special sizes.
- Juniors and Guys include clothing and athletic uniforms for juniors and guys.
- Kid’s category includes clothing for boys and girls.
- Baby: baby clothes, nursery, baby gear and maternity clothes.
- Shoes for men, women and children.
- Handbags and accessories.
- Jewelry and Watches includes all types of gold and silver jewelry and watches.
JCPenny has better customer comments and ratings than does Target. A main complaint with JCPenny is customers would order a product, pay for a product and going through all of that, they were then told by email the product was backordered.
JCPenny has been going through some rough financial times recently and the CEO of the company has let many employees go in cost cutting measure. Customers are aware of this and have also voiced their displeasure at how JCPenny has gone downhill; these comments also lowered their customer ratings.
ResellerRatings.com gives JCPenny an overall rating of 3.67/10 based on 54 customer reviews with the following comments.
- "I really don't know why everyone keeps complaining about this wonderful store. I had to order twin xl bedding for my college dorm, and jcp was the only store that one at a steal and was really pretty. I was worried though, because I ordered them a week before school started. I shouldn't have worried though, they came three days later. I shipped it to the store because I didn't want to pay the shipping fee. It was beautiful and excellent quality…”
- "I am writing to let everyone know that JC Penney is an awesome company and has wonderful customer service. I recently ordered curtains for my dining room. The order did not arrive at my house after about 2 weeks so I sent an email to the customer service email address on their website. Within 48 hours, I received an email back with a few questions about the order. After determining that the order did not arrive at my house, they completely refunded the entire dollar amount. I was so pleased and will continue to be a JC Penny online and in the store customer. Thank you!"
The JCPenny website is nicely laid out and easy to use. Their main categories are all easily accessible at the top menu bar and their main categories are all divided into sub-categories that make finding your product simple.
JCPenny’s search engine works fine and when you enter in your search term, it will take you exactly where you can find your product. Once you get to the products you are searching for, the website will let you further refine your search. Item type, brand, price range and many other refining terms based on the type of product you are searching for.
At the JCPenny website, you can sort your search results by:
- Best match
- Price – high to low
- Price – low to high
- Ratings – high to low
The JCPenny main page clearly shows you their current discounts in several different categories and there is an area you can click on for all of their current discounts and sales. The web pages load up fast and there are no animated ads to slow down the pages.
JCPenny Free Shipping
JCPenny offers free shipping to their stores for orders over $25 with 4-7 business day delivery everywhere in the U.S. and territories.
JCPenny offers free shipping to your home for orders over $99 with 4-7 business delivery everywhere in the U.S. and territories.
Kohl’s is another major and popular department store with many retail locations in addition to their online store. They also sell about anything a person would need for their home and office. Their categories are divided into subcategories and you can also search by brand.
- For the Home: Small appliances, kitchen and dining, home décor and more.
- Bed and Bath includes bedding, bath and buying guides.
- Furniture for the bedroom, living room, dining room, home office and more.
- Outerwear for men, women and children.
- Clothing and shoes for men, women, juniors, guys and kids.
- Baby includes clothing, baby gear, toddlers and more.
- Toys category has several search features to find indoor and outdoor toys.
- Jewelry and Watches.
- Sports Fan includes the NFL Fan Shop, NBA Fan Shop, NCAA Fan Shop and products for all other major sports.
Kohl’s has fairly good customer comments. They were awarded the Stella Service Excellent award in 2013. Stella Service rates them 4.5 out of 5 stars.
ResellerRatings.com rates Kohl’s 3.17/10 based on 74 reviews with the main complaint concerning poor customer service and slow delivery. Some orders were split into two deliveries with one not showing up or showing up late. A few positive customer comments are:
- "I ordered a toy at a great price and the transaction went smoothly. Never pay full price at Kohls. Buy at a sale price and use a coupon along with a cash back portal."
- "I've bought a great deal of clothes for low prices on Kohls. Find a coupon code and stack these on top of sales and you can get great clothes for a great price. These guys are one of the few vendors to make fitted clothes like I like and high quality material khakis with the right fit."
Kohl’s website is nicely designed and loads fast. It will show you main discounts on the home page with the product categories at the top easily accessible.
The Kohl’s search engine worked fine and takes you directly to the products you enter in as your search word. When you get to the product page you are looking for, there is a list of their products with many of the products having a customer rating and customer reviews about each product.
You can refine the search by brand, price and star rating plus other refinements depending on the type of product you are looking at. You can sort by:
- New arrivals
- Best sellers
- Price – low to high
- Price – high to low
- Highest rated
Kohl’s Free Shipping
Kohl’s offers free standard shipping with orders of $50 and over. There are no exclusions and no promo code is needed.
Department Store Price Comparison
Department store price comparisons can be hard to do considering there are just so many sales and discounts at each department store. This section will compare a few prices at Target, JCPenny and Kohl’s.
Mr. Coffee 12-cup programmable
- Target – currently on sale costs $39.00. This is a temporary price cut. The normal price at Target is $49.99.
- JCPenny – Currently costs $44.99.
- Kohl’s – Currently costs $41.99.
Hamilton Beach 6-qt Slow Cooker
- Target - $24.99.
- JCPenny - $29.99.
- Kohl’s - $29.99
Each department carries different brands. Target carries the least name brands with the searches I made. Both JCPenny and Kohl’s have a far greater selection in name brand clothing and shoes. For electronics, Target carries more electronics and brands than the other two stores. When shopping for a product, it is best to compare prices each day, since sales prices can change so rapidly at each department store, especially at holiday sales times like Black Friday.