How to Get Rid of Red Face: Home Remedies to Reduce Red Skin on Face
If you have facial redness, it may be caused by rosacea or skin flushing. Avoiding triggers such as spicy food or exposure to the elements can help, and there are herbal treatments you can use at home that will ease the redness. Although medications are available to treat facial redness, such as beta blockers and antibiotics, you can first try to relieve the redness naturally at home.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Red Skin on Face
- Wash your face in the morning with a gentle, creamy cleanser that does not contain soap or other ingredients that will dry out your skin. Use lukewarm water to wet your face, smooth the product over your skin and then wash it off.
- Sun exposure worsens rosacea and flushing symptoms . Wear a hat and glasses and use sunscreen if you have to be in the sun. Make sure the sunscreen has an SPF of at least 15 or higher, and look for a facial sunscreen for sensitive skin.
- Mix whole-grain organic oatmeal with milk to establish a pastelike consistency. Apply thoroughly across the face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Milk helps to calm aggravated skin while also acting as a gentle exfoliant with its lactic acid to remove dead skin cells associated with inflammation. Allow to dry for approximately 15 minutes and rinse with warm water. This mask is safe to use once a week for those who experience redness.
- Another easy way to soothe skin and reduce redness is to apply a washcloth soaked in milk to the affected skin. The vitamins, fats and proteins found in milk can calm red skin and speed up healing time.
- Make a mask with 1/4-cup aloe juice and 1/4-cup cucumber, pureed in a blender, and apply it to your face daily. Cucumber and aloe both have calming, soothing, redness-reducing properties.
- If you are overheated and have a flushed look, suck on ice chips to relieve facial redness. Hold the ice chips in your mouth for several minutes until you notice the redness fade. You can also treat overheating by moistening a washcloth with cold water and placing it on your face for a few minutes.
- Aloe has a cooling effect on the skin that can help stop facial redness. To extract the juice from an aloe plant, remove one of the plant's leaves. Cut a slit down the center of the leaf and allow the yellow gel to drain out of the plant. After it has drained, take a piece of the gel and rinse it under cool water. Apply the aloe gel directly to where you are experiencing facial redness.
- Lifestyle changes are often necessary if you have rosacea. The best way to tone down a red complexion is to avoid anything that causes a flare-up in the skin. This can include extreme wind or temperatures, alcohol, hot drinks and even the sun.