The 15 Best At-Home DNA Testing Kits for Identifying Medical ConditionsDNA Testing Kits
Have you ever wondered whether you might have or be prone to a certain illness, but didn't want to make the doctor's appointment or have the testing done to find out for sure? You're definitely not alone. Sickness can be a scary thing to face, and many of us will try to avoid it until it can no longer be ignored.
The good news? The FDA has now approved the use of certain at-home DNA testing kits for the purpose of identifying a number of medical conditions and their risks. For the first time ever, these tests are being marketed directly to the consumer, giving people direct access to genetic risk information they've never had before.
But experts warn that people should not take the test results as a guarantee they will or will not develop any certain disease. Instead, they should regard it as one part of many contributing to your overall health, which can be heavily impacted by lifestyle as well as the interactions of many different genes to cause or prevent disease. It's best to use the information provided by the test to take a proactive stance in one's approach to their health, and seek a follow-up appointment with a doctor to clarify results and get suggestions on ways to get or stay healthy.
Please note: It does sound very exciting to learn our genealogy and share it with our family — maybe even connecting with relatives we never knew existed. But some relatives may not want to be found, others may never respond to our attempts to contact them, and there may be secrets we uncover that we aren't ready to know about (issues of adoption, paternity, etc.) Aside from those issues, serious illness found in your results may be devastating, and you should have someone to reach out to in case that occurs.
Conditions that can be identified via at-home DNA tests
- Late-onset Alzheimer's disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Celiac disease
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Early-onset primary dystonia
- Factor XI deficiency
- Gaucher disease type 1
- Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase deficiency
- Hereditary hemochromatosis
- Hereditary thrombophilia
- Other various disorders of the blood and organs.
Our picks for best DNA testing kit for medical testing
From our research, we've decided the following testing companies are best for these categories:
- Best for athletes or those who want a DNA-tailored health/diet/supplement plan: Vitagene
- Best for couples interested in family planning: Sema4
- Best for assessing mental health needs/medications: Pathway Genomics
- Best accuracy for screening only certain cancer and heart-related risks: Color
- Best if you want to test for your risk of over 100 diseases and money is no object: MapMyGene
- Best price for the combo of tests including several Genetic Health Risks, Carrier Status Risks, a Wellness Report AND Ancestry Report: 23andMe (Viamedex is cheaper, but you may have trouble contacting them and wait a long time for your results)
Let's see what these at-home DNA tests have to offer, and find out the pros and cons of each:
The 15 best at-home DNA testing kits for identifying medical conditions
For $199, 23andMe will test your DNA for various genetic health risks in addition to your ancestry, including your possible carrier status for certain conditions, overall genetic wellness, likelihood of certain physical traits, and more.
Genetic health risk reports cover numerous areas, for which they run 6 tests:
A full report can cover the testing for certain variants of breast cancer, age-related Macular Degeneration, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin deficiency, Celiac disease, G6PD deficiency, Hereditary Hemochromatosis, Hereditary Thrombophilia, Late-Onset Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease.
They can also test your carrier status (meaning your potential for passing on certain conditions to your offspring) for certain genetic conditions, like Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hereditary Hearing Loss, and more (there are 42 of them — you can view a sample report here).
23andMe also can tell you how your DNA plays into your lifestyle and overall wellness, as well as any traits you're likely to have based on your DNA (i.e. baldness, freckles, a cleft chin, etc -they run 19 of them.).
Results can be expected in 6-8 weeks, with kits promised to be shipped from the warehouse within 2 days. After you've purchased your kit, you'll have 12 months to use it. 23andMe only guarantees products purchased through their website or an authorized retailer.
- 23andMe reviews give a comprehensive profile of health alongside ancestry
- Has the second largest database, reported at appx 2 million people in 2017
- Turnaround time on results is between 6 and 8 weeks - about average
- May be able to seek treatment or ways to improve health if testing shows illness detected
- Some found their results confusing and needed help reading the reports provided
- Some felt their results weren't correct (per their expectation)
23andMe offers a comprehensive profile of health along with ancestry, excellent turnaround time, and most customers rated their experience at least 4 stars or higher - and their price for both health and ancestry is among the lowest we've found.
A new favorite among at-home DNA testing kits, Vitagene has been featured in several widely-read publications, and can test for health issues as well as ancestry.
The great thing about Vitagene is that they not only give you the results — they give you a plan to improve the things that aren't so great.
By understanding your genetics, you'll learn what eating right means for you, how to decide what supplements you need, ways to improve your skin, get fit, and also, along the way, you can trace your ancestry on an interactive global map.
Vitagene looks at your lifestyle as well as your genes to analyze your complete profile. Your results will be available in 4-6 weeks, alongside a personal supplementation plan, diet recommendations, and nutritional guidance.
Vitagene reviews indicate most people were happy with their product, but some wished there were more DNA info than diet-related.
The Health Report is $49 and draws on results provided by 23andMe, AncestryDNA, My Heritage, or Family Tree DNA.
The Health & Ancestry Report is $79 and includes actionable plans on diet, supplements, fitness and more.
The Premium Report is $99 and includes guidance on diet, fitness, supplements, skin traits, and ancestry.
The Vitality Bundle is $169 and offers the same types of guidance on diet, exercise, and so on, but also includes daily vitamin packs and personalized nutritional coaching based on your DNA.
The Vigor Bundle is $149 and offers the same as the Vitality Bundle, only it uses the raw DNA file from your 23andMe, AncestryDNA, MyHeritage or FamilyTreeDNA test.
- The test is a painless cheek swab
- 5 types of reports available
- Vitagene makes a commitment to privacy (at least in writing on their site)
- Customer service easily reached via email or phone
- DNA is tested against hundreds of thousands of genetic markers
- Is newly founded since 2015
- Less in-depth ancestry info on the combined tests
Vitagene gives you more than a DNA test; they provide an in-depth health report with an emphasis on helping customers make better decisions tailored to their body's exact needs.
For those who want to deepen their understanding of their own health through an analysis of their heredity, there is Helix.
Helix offers 4 main health tests: the Alzheimer's ApoE Test, which pertains to late-onset Alzheimer's disease; the CarrierCheck, which provides genetic screening for you regarding how your DNA may affect your offspring; the Inherited Cholesterol Test, to determine if you're predisposed to familial hypercholesterolemia, (which leads to premature cardiovascular disease), and the Inherited Diabetes Test, which helps the diabetic understand their treatment and diagnosis better.
Helix is private and secure, promising not to sell or share your DNA data without your permission, backed by the most advanced accredited genomics lab in the nation, and progressive in their thinking on genetics.
Helix reviews we found indicate their health reports provide in-depth information about your genetics, i.e. how your body metabolizes different kinds of nutrients, and are attracting major medical institutions like the Mayo Clinic and Mount Sinai Health System to develop DNA-related health and nutrition apps for them.
Price: Varies depending upon which type you prefer; health-related testing ranges from $164.99-$239.00.
- Gives detailed info and guidance on health, genetics, and nutrition
- You only need to submit one saliva sample, which can be used on more testing as it becomes available
- Helix collects appx 100 times more genomic data than other big DNA test companies
- Backed by an expert team of PhDs and geneticists
- According to one review, a genetic counselor referred to such tests as genutainment – meaning 'genetics entertainment', without medical validation
If you don't mind the price, Helix could be a great option for you to get some helpful tips on improving your health. They're backed by an expert team, collect more data than other big DNA testing companies, and give a thorough, comprehensive reading of results. Some say it should be taken with a grain of salt, however, and clarified/backed up by a doctor in person should you have any real health concerns develop or become truly in need of medical care.
A pioneer into DNA tests for health related to family planning, Sema4 offers a series of tests to analyze the genetic information of you and your growing family.
Their main tests include the:
The CarrierCheck, referenced in the image above, provides testing for your carrier status related to 67 inherited conditions.
The Noninvasive Prenatal Select is a blood test which detects chromosomal abnormalities early in a pregnancy.
The Expanded Carrier Screen is a comprehensive genetic test for 280 inherited diseases. According to their website, this test uses advanced sequencing technologies for results with an over 95% accuracy rate.
The Natalis analyzes your baby's DNA for over 190 health conditions which children under age 10 may develop.
For their most popular test, the CarrierCheck, you must first create an account on Sema4 to provide health history information. A doctor will review your information and determine whether Sema4 is right for you. (If not, you won't be charged.)
Then, you'll receive a DNA kit from Helix sent to your home (Helix is a Sema4 partner), and provide your DNA sample. Once it's received by Helix, they will sequence your exome and provide your results within 6-10 weeks. A consultation with a genetic counselor should be made for reviewing the results together.
CarrierCheck screens for 67 inherited conditions including Tay-Sachs disease, Sickle Cell disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Andermann syndrome, Canavan disease, Salla disease, Pendred syndrome, and many more.
It should be noted that a negative test result reduces but does not eliminate your risk of being a carrier for these conditions.
Sema4 reviews indicate that, in order to comply with federal requirements for this type of testing, every order placed through Sema4 is reviewed by a doctor.
CarrierCheck is $239, including the Helix DNA test (if you don't already have one).
Natalis is $649.00.
*Some of the other tests do not provide pricing information, and they may be partially covered by insurance, but you may call for additional info at 800-298-6470.
- Risks identified early enough may be able to receive interventions in time to make a difference in the condition developing
- Sema4 has integrated with a network of doctors and genetic counselors to help guide parents through any challenging or unexpected test results
- Parents may find themselves unsure what to do with results when a child has not developed symptoms yet and treatments are considered severe
Sema4 notes that it should be understood that, according to knowledgeable sources, "simply testing positive for a genetic mutation doesn't necessarily mean one will actually develop the associated condition." By that same logic, testing negative does not mean someone won't develop it. While these tests are undoubtedly helpful for family planning, concerned parents-to-be should consult qualified counselors and doctors outside the DNA test network if they wish to get a well-rounded panel of opinions on the matter.
Another company making several at-home DNA health testing kits is Pathway Genomics. Pathway offers DNA testing products like the Carrier Status DNA Insight, Hereditary Cancer Tests, Cardiac DNA Insight, Mental Health DNA Insight, and more.
For example, Cardiac DNA Insight helps identify 23 traits associated with certain heart-related conditions, including Atrial fibrillation, Beta-blockers, LVEF response, Caffeine metabolism, Coronary artery disease, Myocardial infarction, and more.
A sample Cardiac DNA report can be viewed here.
Another of Pathway's tests is the Carrier Status DNA Insight:
Following the recommendations of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, this test screens for 120 recessive genetic diseases.
Backed by science and helpful to doctors in developing a more comprehensive treatment plan for both pre- and postnatal health, Pathway offers an early report of what may develop. View a sample report here.
A third and most unique at-home DNA test made by Pathway is the Mental Health DNA Insight test.
When trial and error makes up a large part of assessing a patient's best-suited psychiatric medications and dosages, varying levels of discomfort and confusion can be expected. But what if you could look at their DNA and know right away which meds to prescribe?
That's the goal of Pathway's Mental Health DNA Insight Test, which lets you know your body's likely response to over 50 commonly prescribed psychiatric medications - including the top SSRIs, Antipsychotics, Mood Stabilizers, SNRI and TCA Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, ADHD meds, and more.
Your body may respond differently than someone else's when prescribed the same medication. But the only way to determine your body's response currently is to simply try the medication and see what happens. If it's not for you, your body will let you know - and the results may not be pretty. But if your DNA could let doctors know ahead of time which meds will and won't work with your body, you could spare yourself the drama of finding out the hard way.
You can find out which meds make up the optimal treatment plan for your condition based on your DNA, which types may cause side effects, and even the dosages most likely to be accepted by your body.
You can view a sample report of the Mental Health DNA Insight here.
Pathway Genomics reviews indicate a range of opinions, mostly related to the ethics and efficacy of such testing.
Price: Varies with type of test:
Cardiac DNA Insight is $399.00.
Mental Health DNA Insight is $399.00.
Pathway Fit (which analyzes metabolism/energy use/processing of nutrients & includes diet guidelines) is $299.00.
SkinFit (which genetic markers related to 7 categories of skin health) is $199.00.
GlutenFit (helps determine if genetics play a role in gluten sensitivity) is $149.00.
FitIQ (gives insight into micronutrient processing/body's response to exercises) is $129.00.
Certain Pathway tests, such as:
- Carrier Status DNA Insight
- Hereditary Cancer Tests: test for Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer (HBOC) Syndrome, mutations in 8 high-risk breast cancer susceptibility genes, 13 genes associated with hereditary colorectal cancer, and more
- Healthy Weight DNA Insight: tests for type 2 diabetes, osteoarthritis, and venous thrombosis, among other conditions
- BreastTrue High Risk Panel: detects mutations in seven high-risk breast cancer genes, including BRCA1, BRCA2, CDH1, PALB2, PTEN, STK11, and TP53
- Healthy Woman DNA Insight
... Do not have pricing info listed; you may request more info from Pathway Client Services at (877) 505-7374, or request a kit through your physician here.
- Some have said their results were very accurate and helpful in making lifestyle/diet changes
- Provides a more in-depth report than other at-home DNA test companies
- More expensive than some other at-home DNA test companies
- Some expressed uncertainty of sufficient data correlating with test results (opinion)
If you're going to opt for an in-home DNA test for medical conditions, and you want an in-depth, high quality report, Pathway Genomics might be your best bet - but, it is an expensive option, and as some tests are not sold without a doctor's oversight (Pathway can provide such a doctor online for some of them) anyway, you may want to run it by your doctor first.
Another new company providing at-home DNA testing for medical conditions is Futura Genetics.
Futura's belief is that knowledge of your own genetic risks can allow you to make better lifestyle choices for your health. Their non-invasive at-home DNA test is intended to determine your risk of developing any of the 28 most common worldwide medical conditions.
Conditions they screen for include:
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Alopecia, Alzheimer's Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Basal Cell Carcinoma,
- Cancers (bladder, breast, colorectal, gastric, lung, prostate)
- Diabetes (Types 1 & 2)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- And Many more
Additionally, their site describes their lab certifications, including CLIA, ISO 9001, ISO 15189, DNA Profiling External Quality Assessment, and others:
They also list the various forms of technology they use are provided through Genotek's sample collection kits, APEX SNP detection, and Genorama's protocols and instrumentation.
Futura's privacy and security are ensured through multiple levels of encryption and a unique barcode system utilized to separate each person's name and other identifying contact information from their DNA.
Futura Genetics reviews indicate an overall positive opinion of the company and their offerings, although some felt they should provide ancestry services as well.
Price: $375.00 - and there's free shipping.
- Results are available in 4 weeks
- Secure processing of results and safekeeping of private information
- Provides clear and useful insight into your genetic health
- Free express shipping and delivery
- Futura offers one convenient at-home DNA test to screen for a large set of the medical concerns of the general population, including testing for Alzheimer's Disease, Celiac Disease, Coronary Heart Disease, and several forms of cancer
- Some felt they should test for more diseases and provide results in more languages
- No testing for Parkinson's disease provided
If the price doesn't bother you, and you're concerned about your risk of any of the 18 medical conditions they test for, Futura could be best for you. They provide clear, helpful insight into your genetic profile and results are available in only 4 weeks - and shipping/delivery is free.
Another popular at-home DNA testing kit for medical conditions (which also provides an ancestry review) is GenePlanet. GenePlanet's HealthPlan assesses your DNA for your genetic predisposition for 19 diseases, provides 6 medicament reports on the safety and efficacy of certain drugs for your body, and 14 body reports regarding hidden characteristics of the body.
The HealthPlan screens for the following 19 diseases:
Alzheimer's disease, Asthma, Atrial fibrillation, Celiac disease, Psoriasis, Multiple Sclerosis, Lung Cancer, Hypertension, Breast cancer, Prostate Cancer, Rheumatoid arthritis, Restless leg syndrome, Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, Gallstones, Glaucoma, Heart Attack, Skin Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, and Venous Thromboembolism.
They also screen for your likelihood to possess a series of traits and talents, like eye color, pain sensitivity, malaria resistance, norovirus resistance, earwax type, learning from mistakes, male baldness, episodic memory, muscle structure, nicotine addiction, lactose intolerance, caffeine metabolism, alcohol metabolism, bitter taste perception, and more.
Medicament responses tested include the likely reactions your body would have to Warfarin, Statins, Metformin, Omeprazole, Clopidogrel, and Perindopril.
A package purchase includes your DNA sample kit, free shipping, and user-friendly personal results and recommendation report.
GenePlanet reviews indicate rest results were easy to understand, provided in simple downloadable PDF format, and the company is GDPR compliant, meaning customers should be able to manage and delete personal data.
Price: 399,00 € which converts to $462.74 USD
When I attempted to order, the checkout process indicated they would ship to the United States, but I must choose one of the following payment methods:
- Provides a comprehensive, well-researched, and nicely presented report
- Each point made on the results is explained in detail
- Provides numerous health and nutrition recommendations
- Above average turnaround time from submitting sample to reading results
- No screening for Parkinsons disease provided
- Limited payment methods accepted
This is a straightforward test that provides genetic insight into your risks of 19 diseases as well as your likely response to a handful of commonly prescribed medications and your probability for having certain traits - some of which may be more important than others (nicotine addiction or malaria resistance over eye color). It ends with thoroughly explained, detailed results in your hands. Again, it's not cheap, but if it covers your concerns, it's probably worth it.
Next up on our tour of at-home DNA testing kits for medical conditions is Color.
With their series of tests designed to be taken at-home, Color promises to help users "get ahead of certain cancers and heart conditions."
Color's testing focuses on analyzing genes associated with certain types of cancer and heart-related diseases. The hereditary heart health tests analyze your risk of 30 genes associated with the development of heart conditions like cardiomyopathy, arteriopathies, arrhythmias, and familial hypercholesterolemia.
The cancer tests screen for 30 genes, including BRCA1 and BRCA2, pertaining to your risk of developing breast, ovarian, uterine, melanoma, pancreatic, stomach, and prostate cancers.
If you know exactly which genes you're interested in analyzing, you can purchase individual tests for a more specific analysis, as described in a detailed comparison here.
The tests range in price individually from $99 to $249, but you can get your best value when you order the tests for hereditary cancer and hereditary heart health together - for a total of $349.00.:
Included with all tests is access to Color's genetic counselors, an interactive shared health history tool to easily discuss results with relatives, and more.
And the requirement for the kit to be ordered by a physician can be handled in two ways: You can have your own physician order it for you, or allow a Color-selected physician to do it. Looks like it's a $10 fee to have their physician do it.
Color reviews indicate approval from genetics and genomics experts, as they're sold under physician approval with access to a genetics counselor.
Price: Varies based on each test.
The BRCA Test is $99.00.
The Hereditary High Cholesterol Test is $99.00.
The Hereditary Cancer Test is $249.00.
The Hereditary Heart Health test is $249.00.
The Hereditary Cancer Test and Hereditary Heart Health Test sold together is $349.00.
- Color's tests are described by the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics as "medically actionable"
- Simple saliva-based tests
- Color's team of scientists is comprised of primarily Ph.Ds or MDs
- Color's tests have been deemed 99.9% accurate, with all reported variants confirmed by other independent tests prior to their release
- Insurance billing is not considered
If you're only interested in discovering heart or cancer-related issues, and you've got a physician in mind (or don't mind using Color's chosen physicians to read through your test package and order for you), and the price doesn't make you flinch, this could be fine for you.
Life Line Screening
Life Line Screening provides numerous at-home tests for a wide array of uses from assessing elements of overall health and wellness, to detecting sexually transmitted diseases, exploring ancestry, and analyzing various aspects of men's health and women's health.
For our purposes today, we focused on their Health & Wellness testing category. Their assorted Health and Wellness tests screen for signs of kidney or thyroid issues, cardiovascular disease, prostate or colorectal cancer, diabetes, measure HDL and LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, evaluate Vitamin D levels, and check for Hepatitis C.
Their process is private and confidential, promising no office visit required and accurate results from a certified lab.
For best results, read your test package carefully. Most of them expire between 6-12 months after your receive them, so be sure to set aside the time needed to send in your samples ASAP.
Our Life Line DNA review concludes with the following wrap-up summary:
Price: Varies with each test. Ranges from $60 - $149.00.
- Life Line Screening has been assessing heart disease and stroke risk since 1993
- Free shipping on all orders
- Most tests are minimally invasive and require only a prick of the finger
- Some tests are not available in all states
- Health insurance is not considered on any tests
There are a bevy of private tests of various types available at Life Line Screening for anyone who prefers the discreet in-home testing option. A little cheaper than some other options out there, but health insurance isn't billed for any of them.
Screen for over 31 medical conditions, 53 carrier status conditions, 12 drug response genes, 6 wellness traits, and more with Viamedex, as seen on PBS.
This at-home DNA testing kit identifies genetic markers associated with a number of medical conditions, carrier status conditions, traits for addiction, and more.
Some of the conditions covered in the test include:
- Exfoliation Glaucoma
- Chronic Kidney disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma
- Stomach, Breast, Colorectal, Lung, & Prostate Cancer
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Bipolar Disorder
And the rest: Celiac, Coronary Heart disease, Gallstones, Gout, Obesity, Parkinson's, Scleroderma, Type 2 Diabetes, Venous Thromboembolism, Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Alzheimer's, Crohn's, Lupus, Melanoma, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, Psoriasis, Restless Leg Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Type 1 Diabetes.
Carrier status conditions covered in the testing include Cystic Fibrosis, Hemochromatosis, ARSACS, Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum with Peripheral Neuropathy, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, Tay-Sachs, Torsion Dystonia, Tyrosinemia Type 1, Usher Syndrome Type 1, Usher Syndrome Type III, and Zellweger Syndrome Spectrum.
Wellness tests cover areas of:
- Alcohol Flush
- Caffeine Metabolism
- Deep Sleep
- Lactose Intolerance
- Muscle Performance
- Sleep Movement
Traits explored include
- Asparagus Odor Detection
- Back Hair
- Bald Spot
- Digit Ratio
- Earlobe Type
- Earwax Type
- Facial Features
- Male Hair Loss
- Newborn Hair Amount
- Photic Sneeze Reflex
- Taste Preference and Perception
Traits of addiction covered include Alcoholism (cravings, dependence, seizures from withdrawal), Cannabis Dependence, Cocaine Dependence, Cocaine-Induced Paranoia, Gambling Addiction, Heroin Addiction, and Nicotine Dependence (Tobacco Addiction).
Genetic testing kits can be ordered here, and are available for U.S., Canada, and Internationally.
Our Viamedex review concludes overall that this site offers the most comprehensive testing of medical conditions, carrier status conditions, and other traits that we've found.
Price: For the Genetic Predisposition test: $89.00.
For the Genetic Predisposition plus Ancestry: $149.00.
When I attempted to order the Genetic Predisposition test, $10 shipping was added.
- Large number of conditions and traits are possible for testing
- Will email you when they receive the specimen and when results are ready
- Not available in all countries
- Some had results within 2 weeks; some have waited twice that long
This company offers very comprehensive DNA testing options, including at-home tests that include screening for Parkinson's disease, which several others did not cover. The only problem? They seem to take a long time with results and also sometimes with responding to customer queries. Your best bet is to contact a human before sending anything in, then send certified (or use another package-tracking mail service) to be positive when your sample has been received.
MapMyGene offers a Disease Susceptibility Gene Test which analyzes your risk of developing over 100 diseases.
An accurate predictor, MapMyGene acts as prevention whenever precautions can be taken to guard against disease development. You personalized health management guide book, provided with test results, will include lifestyle suggestions for optimal health - leading to savings on future medical bills!
Some of the diseases screened for in MapMyGene's susceptibility tests include:
- Biliary afflications such as liver, gall bladder, biliary duct, and pancreatic cancer
- Alcoholic hepatitis
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver
- Live Fibrosis
- Chronic pancreatitis
They also test for diseases in the cardiovascular, respiratory, and urinary systems, among others.
Our MapMyGene review today determined that the Disease Susceptibility Gene Test is remarkably thorough and follow-up recommendations are very helpful - however, the price is likely quite high due to the fact that prices are not posted and you must contact them for a quote.
They also offer other tests such as the Inborn Talent Genetic Test, details here.
Price: You have to contact them for quote here.
- Friendly and helpful customer service
- Extremely comprehensive testing for predisposition to certain conditions
- Follow-up report gives highly beneficial recommendations
- Test reports your risk against the population average, and your variant score
- Genetic counseling service included is very helpful to understand results
- Shipping is not free
- My take longer than the 20 days quoted on the site from start to finish
- Prices are not posted publicly on the site; you must contact them for a quote - so likely quite expensive
MapMyGene presents an impressive genetic testing option in the DSGT, and they appear to provide a lot of healthy, beneficial recommendations and support to customers throughout the process. The hard part is getting the quoted price from them privately since it isn't posted on the site.
EasyDNA provides comprehensive testing in a variety of categories, including Clinical Tests in four types:
Lactose Intolerance DNA Tests, Celiac Disease Genetic Testing, Genetic Predisposition Testing and the Cancer Predisposition Panel. For our purposes today, we'll look at the Genetic Predisposition Testing option.
Conditions covered in the Genetic Predisposition Test are:
- Immune system-related diseases of Lupus, Graves' Disease, Celiac Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, and Psoriasis
- Cardiovascular/Cerebrovascular Conditions of Intracranial Aneurysm, Atrial Fibrillation, Heart Disease, Peripheral Arterial Disease, and Venous Thromboembolism
- Aging disorders of Macular Degeneration, Alzheimer's Disease, Rheumatoid Disease, and Osteoporosis
- Issues related to General Health like Obesity, Migraine, Type 1 and Type 1 Diabetes, Alopecia, Gallstones, Sugar Consumption, Folate Metabolism, Vitamin B6 Metabolism, Vitamin B12 Metabolism, and Vitamin D Metabolism
- Cancers of the Bladder, Breast, Colorectal Cancer, Gastric Cancer, Lung Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer and Basal Cell Carcinoma.
- Disorders of the Eye, including Open-Angle Glaucoma, and Exfoliation Glaucoma
That's quite a comprehensive list, and we feel good about all that's covered.
To order, you'll go to their "Order Now" button, and make several selections:
First you'll select your test:
Then, you'll choose the number of genetic tests you need (1 is fine for us), and the type of postage you prefer. Then you can upgrade for some additional Celiac Disease information.
Finally, you can request a 40-minute session with a genetic counselor:
Payments are accepted in credit card (Visa or MasterCard), bank transfer, or PayPal by advance notice. Go here for details.
For payment alternatives, you may contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our EasyDNA review concludes that their Genetic Predisposition Test is very comprehensive and a great value for what it provides. Additional options offered for further information and genetic counseling is appreciated as well (even though they aren't included free of charge).
Price: Varies by test.
- Genetic Predisposition Test is 199 pounds.
- Lactose Intolerance DNA Test is 115 pounds.
- Celiac Disease Genetic Testing is 115 pounds.
- Cancer Predisposition Panel is 279 pounds.
Pound to dollar converter tool is provided here.
- Fast, efficient service
- Educational and informative results
- Helpful customer service
- Some felt their results could be easier to understand
- Some had trouble with receiving the wrong kit/kit arrived later than expected, etc.
EasyDNA maintains a solid 4 stars on TrustPilot after 63 reviews. Overall, they appear to provide a consistent, thorough service and all the information promised. For those who have trouble understanding results, the genetic counselor offered may shed some light on the subject.
International BioSciences offers a substantial and fascinating array of DNA test options (from doggie paternity tests to cousin/grandparent/sibling/maternity DNA detection to semen detection kits), we'll stick with our theme of Genetic Health Predisposition testing for now.
Popular diseases and traits assessed in this test include:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Bladder, Breast, Colorectal, Gastric, Lung, Prostate, & Skin Cancers
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Diabetes - Types 1 & 2
Additional testing is done for Open-Angle Glaucoma, Exfoliation Glaucoma, Alopecia, Basal Cell Carcinoma, Gallstones, Osteoporosis, Sugar Consumption, Folate Metabolism, Vitamin B6 Metabolism, Vitamin B12 Metabolism, and Vitamin D Metabolism.
For this company as well you'll see a screen with choices on it after you hit the 'Order Now' button in the upper right corner. You'll choose your test, how many tests you want, your preferred postage, and whether you want a session with the genetic counselor. If you keep it as is, your total will be 199 pounds ($256.15 USD).
Price: The basic test without adding postage or extra genetic counseling is 199 pounds ($256.15 USD).
- Fast, efficient processing time
- Prompt and courteous customer service
- Company maintains solid 4 stars on TrustPilot with 33 International Biosciences reviews
- A few people had complaints, mostly about their dog breed tests and baby gender testing - neither of which applies to our purposes
High quality testing, reputable company, hassle-free service reported. Pay careful attention to your counseling appointment, if you made one - you may need to make a call.
GenetiConcept offers a few different types of testing, including Health DNA, Drug response, Skin DNA, Fitness DNA, and Brain DNA.
As you may have guessed, for our purposes today, we'll be looking at the Health DNA testing.
Conditions they test for include: Alzheimer's Disease, Type 1 and 2 Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, ADHD, Psoriasis, Parkinson's Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Colorectal Cancer, Primary Biliary Cirrhosis, Scleroderma, Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Stomach Cancer, Alopecia Areata, Bladder Cancer, Celiac Disease, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, Glaucoma, Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Keloid, Kidney Cancer, and Bipolar Disorder.
When you're ready you can order your test and get started here.
- Excellent customer service
- Explains results in an easy-to-understand way
- Superb value for the price
- Some would have like further scientific reference information provided.
- Some felt there were a few conflicting or confusing aspects on their reports
GenetiConcept reviews overall indicate this service comes highly recommended, although some aspects may seem a bit confusing or conflicting. For the most part, it provides a greater amount of information than many other similar tests in a very digestable format for laypersons to understand.
*Note: You'll be shown this pop-up when you visit the GenetiConcept page:
It explains that Jinomz has very recently acquired GenetiConcept and gives a brief video. However, you can still place your order on the GenetiConcept website; it will just be processed through Jinomz.
Livewell Testing provides numerous DNA kits for the categories of: Genetics and DNA, Heart Health, Weight Management, Hormones, Baby Health, Fertility, Vitamins, Neurotransmitters, Allergies, Food Intolerance, Substance Abuse, Disease Detection, and more.
You can browse their tests to find what's right for you as they offer many.
There's the CellMax DNA Genetic Cancer Risk Testing Kit in the Disease Detection category:
which tests for BRCA1, BRCA2, and 23 other cancer genes, identifying your risk of 25 hereditary cancers.
Then there's the ZRT 15 Panel Neurotransmitters NeuroAdvanced Profile Urine Home Test Kit which tests your levels of neurotransmitters including Serotonin, Norepinephrine, Ephinephrine, Dopamine, GABA, Glutamate, Histamine and more. These factor into your body's wellness, with the improper levels resulting in conditions like fibromyalgia, brain fog, sleep problems, anxiety, depression, headaches, worsened PMS, insomnia, and an array of other issues.
This kit comes with an optional phone consult for 15 or 30 minutes - we highly recommend choosing this consult to help you understand your report.
The ZRT Cardiometer Profile of Home Blood Spot Test Kit is intended to measure your risk of heart disease by testing your levels of:
- High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein
- Hemoglobin A1c
- LDL Cholesterol
- HDL Cholesterol
- VLDL Cholesterol
- Total Cholesterol
This page contains sample collection instructions for the test, and a few other guides worth reading in PDF form.
Again, the option for the phone consult is offered; again we suggest you choose to do that. It can help you understand the results of your test.
You can pay by credit card or PayPal at their checkout, and choose the free shipping option for the standard amount of days, unless you want to add speedier UPS shipping (that costs extra.)
Price: Varies with test. The cancer screen above is $299, the neurotransmitter test is $329, and the Cardiometabolic Profile is $189.99.
- Easy sample collection in the privacy of home
- Always free shipping
- 5% of profits donated back into community
- Quick turnaround times
- Corporate wellness programs offered
- Detailed guides and descriptions with every test sold
- Some tests cannot be shipped to all states.
- Some test results may be hard to understand (that's why we recommend the accompanying phone consult option).
- Some tests are a bit pricey
These are great tests in a bevy of health categories. The company has a stellar reputation. Don't let your layman-ship hold you back if you really want to try a test and you don't mind the price - There's an extensive knowledge center provided on the site including contact info, an informative FAQ sec