Facts About Manganese: What is Manganese and Importance of Manganese for Health
What is manganese and importance of manganese for health...
What is manganese?
Manganese is a mineral which is found in human body and comes under trace minerals category. Trace minerals are the minerals which are needed by our body in very small amounts. For certain factors manganese is very important for our health. It works as an enzyme activator; it is also plays an important role in building good bone structure and bone metabolism. Not only that, it also contributes to synthesis of fatty acids and carbohydrate metabolism.
Manganese is important for health as it helps to absorb or utilize other nutrients such as biotin, thiamin, ascorbic acid, and choline (a B-complex vitamin), carbohydrate and calcium. Manganese is essential for maintaining good blood sugar level and cholesterol level. It is important to know that manganese is an antioxidant and thus fights free radicals and prevents our body from the damages caused by free radicals. Manganese is good for sexual health too. Because it promotes the production of sex hormones which is good for reproductive health. Manganese plays a crucial role to promote the health of thyroid gland. Manganese helps thyroid gland to function properly. Besides all these manganese is important for our nerves and very important to cure inflammation and sprains.
There are many foods which are rich with manganese. Some of them are - Broccoli, kale, cinnamon, cloves, pineapple, collard greens, spinach, strawberries, turmeric powder, brown rice, dried Cayenne pepper, dried basil, oats, green beans, nuts, flaxseeds, garlic, banana and grapes.
More Facts About Manganese:
What is a Manganese Deficiency?
Manganese is a trace mineral and that is why a little amount of manganese is enough to keep out body in healthy state. But the deficiency of manganese can cause severe health problems. Given below are some of the health problems that can happen due to lack of manganese in body.
• Deficiency of manganese is bad for healing of any kind of cuts and scratches. Manganese plays a big role in creation of collagen, that’s why manganese deficiency makes the recovery difficult in the cases of cuts, scratches and even in surgery.
• Manganese deficiency can lead to infertility problem.
• Manganese deficiency can disrupt normal growth.
• Manganese deficiency can cause osteoporosis.
• Lack of manganese in the body can be responsible for the disease like diabetes or high blood sugar.
• Muscle contractions, joint pains can also happen due to lack of manganese in the body.
• Manganese deficiency can be responsible for memory loss.
• Problems with immune system or metabolism.
• Problems with the growth of skeletal system.
• Manganese deficiency can cause irritability, rapid pulse, hypertension and pancreatic damage.
Finally, although manganese is a trace mineral but it has its own importance in the body. Therefore, adequate amount of manganese is essential for a healthy body. But it’s better to consult the doctor if anyone wants to take manganese supplements.