Guide to Saving Money on Eco-Friendly Furniture for Every Room of Your HouseFurniture
With 2018 on track to be the fourth hottest year on record, many of us are increasingly waking up to the reality of global warming and the impact that our decisions have on the environment around us.
Furnishing your home with environmentally-friendly furniture is just one of many ways that you can minimize your carbon footprint and do your part to combat global warming. And, thankfully, there are tons of companies out there who have made it their mission to create affordable, sustainable, eco-friendly furniture that can make your space shine.
But, what makes furniture eco-friendly? Well, a major component is the materials used in making the furniture. Pieces made with recycled or repurposed materials are one of the most environmentally conscious options as they use already existing materials to create new pieces. These are a few other things you’ll want to look for:
- Sustainably-sourced wood, preferably that which is farmed as opposed to harvested. Check for wood that is approved by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).
- Made from bamboo. Bamboo reaches maturity in three to five years which is much faster than trees, and it’s incredibly sturdy.
- Non-GMO and organic materials, particularly when it comes to soy, cotton, and other plant-based fabrics and fillings
- Minimal or no volatile organic compounds (VOC) which can create fumes that are bad for your health and the environment
- Water-based lacquers, finishes, and adhesives
- Packaged and shipped in recycled — and recyclable — cardboard
A company’s ethos can be just as important as the goods they make. Look for companies that donate a percentage of their profits to supporting sustainable environmental projects, like Masaya and Company which plants 100 trees for every piece of furniture sold. And, look for companies that manufacture and ship close to you. If you’re in the US, finding companies that make their products in the US and from materials sourced from the US, is a great way to keep shipping distances, and therefore gas emissions, down.
It’s also important that you buy pieces that are going to last, and not just end up in the garbage the next time you have to move. Sustainability may start with a company’s ethics, but it’s also within each of our abilities to mitigate our footprint by sending as few things as possible to the landfill. That’s why it’s crucial to buy sturdy furniture and to care for it well so it can last through the years.
Still, while selecting eco-friendly furniture items is crucial, it can also be quite expensive. That’s why we’ve put together this guide for saving money on environmentally friendly furniture for every room of your house. Here’s what you’ll get in this guide:
- A room-by-room furniture guide with eco-friendly examples of each piece
- Tips for saving money on each of these furniture items
Eco-friendly living room furniture
Let’s look at three of the main pieces of furniture that’ll make your living room pop: sofas, coffee tables, and lamps.
Burrow makes and delivers their sofas direct from their US manufacturing plants. They ship for free in compact boxes made from recycled materials. The sofa itself is made with sustainable wood and eco-friendly fabrics that are stain-resistant but don’t use harmful chemicals. Their sofas are fully customizable with varying colors, woods, sizes and other options, plus they come with a built-in hidden USB charger.
- Price: Starting at $1195 for a three-seater sofa.
- How to save: Shipping is free and they offer a risk-free 30-day trial on all of their products. Check out the Knoji page for Burrow for a bunch of awesome coupons including an ongoing 5% off promo when you use the code: DEALSPOTR. They also sent me a 10% discount code when I put an item in my cart, so try that out as well!
Made by Stem Goods, this sofa is also super customizable with over 167 fabric choices, four leg options, and three different eco-friendly fillings including a natural latex and wool fabric option. The frame is made with Kiln-dried domestic solid Alder hardwood certified by the FSC and padded with high-quality foam or natural latex. Stem uses water-based glues and all products are free of fire retardant materials and other toxic chemicals. All products have a 100-day trial with free returns and ship for free.
- Price: Starting at $1695 for a three to four-seater sofa plus.
- How to save: Get 10% off when you sign up for their mailing list. They offer free design advice with you order.
Eco-friendly coffee tables
Nantucket Coffee Table
Made by Atlantic Furniture, this vintage-style coffee table is a sturdy option for your living room space. It’s made with solid, eco-friendly hardwood sourced from the US. They also use a unique five-step finishing process on all of their products to make them water- and scratch-resistant. All of their furniture is lead-free and confirmed to be kid safe through stringent independent testing.
Greenington Ceres Rectangular Coffee Table
This item is sold on Bamboo Mod, a company dedicated to selling sustainable bamboo furniture. This table is made of 100% bamboo and comes with a sultry caramelized finish. The table is available in two different sizes and has a sleek mid-century modern feel.
- Price: $537.
- How to save: Sign up for the Bamboo Mod mailing list for a chance to win a discount or free shipping, plus join their Facebook messaging program to get special deals and offers.
Lit-Mesh Test 3 Light Table Lamp
From Varaluz, this table lamp is hand-forged from recycled steel. It’s forged in a mesh design which creates beautiful patterns around your room when lit. Pair it with three Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) or LEDs to make it extra eco-friendly! Their lamps are handcrafted in the Philippines.
- Price: Retails at $289 fromVaraluz.
- How to save: It’s currently available on Houzz for $191.99 with free shipping.
Tilt Table Lamp
This lamp was designed and manufactured by Graypants, a company that makes handcrafted lamps out of natural recycled corrugated cardboard. They use laser cutting for exact precision and each of their lamps is assembled with non-toxic adhesive and treated with non-toxic fire retardant. The lampshade is at a slight tilt which makes it great for reading or performing other tasks. It’s available in white or natural which is a soft brown.
- Price: $540 for natural or $595 for white.
- How to save: If you purchase this lamp from Lumens, you can get a free set of vintage string lights when you use the code: STRING at checkout.
Eco-friendly bedroom furniture
No bedroom is complete without a mattress and a bed frame - it’s called a bedroom after all. Let’s look at a few eco-friendly mattresses and bed frames, plus nightstands for storing all your nighttime needs:
All of their mattresses are made with certified organic cotton, 100% natural latex, and 100% New Zealand wool there’s a vegan option if you don’t want your mattress made with wool), plus they’re free of polyurethane foams and toxic fire retardants. Avocado donates 1% of their profits to vetted environmental non-profits.
- Price: Full size starts at $1199.
- How to save: Refer a friend and they’ll get $150 off their mattress, plus you’ll get a $50 Visa gift card. Check out their Sales page for deals like their current offer of $150 off when you use the code: SUMMER150 and two free pillows when you use the code: 2FREEPILLOWS. Verified teachers, service members, veterans, police officers, firefighters, and EMTs get a $150 discount, or an extra $50 during sales events.
Saatva is a luxury eco-friendly mattress company that makes all of their products with organic cotton covers with antimicrobial treatment, springs made from recycled steel, and sustainably-made plant-based polyol foam. It should be noted that their foam is made with non-GMO soy and corn and does contain polyurethane.
- Price: Luxury foam full size starts at $899.
- How to save: While they don’t have specific deals, shipping with white glove delivery and mattress removal is free and you get a 120-day risk-free trial
Altozzo Manhattan Platform
This affordable platform bed comes in two sizes, King or Queen, and is super affordable at under $300. It’s a minimal design, and features eco-friendly solid rubber wood which makes for a long-lasting, durable frame.
- Price: Queen size retails starting at $249.
- How to save: The Manhattan bed is currently cheapest on Houzz at 60% off ($239.20). Houzz also offers free shipping.
Raku Japanese Tatami Bed
Created by Haiku Designs, this bed is made with solid Para wood which is farmed rather than sourced from virgin forests, and the stain on the bed is inert, which means it won’t give off toxic fumes over time. The bed utilizes interlocking slots instead of screws or nails which means it doesn’t use unnecessary metal and it’s easier to disassemble.
- Price: Queen size starts at $699.
- How to save: This bed is also available on Houzz for $798, but comes with free shipping and no taxes (Haiku charges $129 for shipping), making it slightly less expensive than buying from Haiku Designs.
This elegant piece from West Elm is every bit as sustainable as it is stylish. It’s made with FSC-certified wood, namely Kiln-dried solid eucalyptus wood and engineered wood with an Acacia wood veneer. It’s Greenguard-certified and is finished with a water-based solution made of acorn. Plus, each of these nightstands is manufactured in a Fair Trade Certified Facility.
- Price: $320.
- How to save: Get 15% off fromWest Elm when you sign up for their mailing list. They have regular deals like their current sale of up to 60% off when you use the code: HOTDEAL. You can also get the West Elm credit card which gets you a $50 signup bonus, 10% cash back on your purchases, and a $25 reward on your birthday.
Norman Reclaimed Pine Nightstand
Designed by Kosas Home, this rustic nightstand is made entirely from reclaimed pine that is FSC-certified and meets universal sustainability standards. Kosas uses water-based materials to create a distressed look and genuine aged patina. Because each piece is made from real wood and distressed by hand, every nightstand is completely unique.
- Price: $229.39 on Houzz.
- How to save: The price on Houzz is 67% off the suggested retail price.
Eco-friendly nursery and kid’s bedroom furniture
It’s extra important that you have non-toxic and eco-friendly bedding for your kiddos. These are some great options for beds and mattresses for your nursery or kid’s bedroom:
Eco-friendly kids beds
Perch Toddler Bed
This bed from Urban Natural Home is the perfect transitional bed for a crib-dweller turned toddler and is Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning it’s met high standards for being free of toxic chemicals and materials. It’s made from Baltic birch plywood and eco-friendly MDF (medium density fiberboard). All finishes are water-based, non-toxic and free of VOC (volatile organic compounds) hazards. Urban Natural manufactures in the US and ships all packages in recycled cardboard.
- Price: $449 plus $125 shipping or $299 for white glove delivery.
- How to save: Sign up for their mailing list to receive a discount code on your first purchase. White glove delivery is free for orders over $2,000. This item can also be purchased on Pottery Barn where you get a free 15% discount code for signing up for their mailing list. However, Urban Natural has a price match guarantee, so you’ll definitely get the lowest price with them.
Freeport Platform Bed Frame
Designed by Bedworks of Maine, this platform bed is made from solid North American ash with solid hardwood slats, most of which is harvested from Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. The bed is built, hand-sanded, and shipped from Maine. They offer an Aqua-Clear low-VOC finish for folks who are sensitive to smell and want to avoid toxic fumes at an additional $60 upcharge.
- Price: Starting at $389.95 for a twin size frame, shipping included.
- How to save: Save 5% online when you use the code: save05. Veterans who can visit the store in-person get a free pillow with purchases over $500.
Naturepedic Quilted Organic Cotton Deluxe Mattress
This Naturepedic mattress is great for kids as it’s made without allergens like soy and latex and is Greenguard Gold Certified. It features organic cotton and non-GMO batting, plus they don’t use any fire retardant chemicals or polyurethane foam - but, don’t worry, it passes all federal and state flammability regulations with flying colors. All of Naturepedics products are made and shipped in the US.
- Price: Starting at $699 for a twin size mattress.
- How to save: You can add on their 5-in-1 Monster Bed Frame for just $139 more.
Eco-friendly kitchen furniture
No kitchen is complete without a dining table as its centerpiece. Let’s explore some kitchen tables and islands that are eco-friendly:
Eco-friendly kitchen tables
Sarah Shaker Solid Cherry Top Table
Made by Vermont Woods Studios, this simple rectangular dining table is made from natural black cherry wood. Like all of their products, this table is made in Vermont from trees grown sustainably in North America and comes with a lifetime warranty. Vermont Woods Studios has planted 56,424 trees (and counting) in their 13 years in business and supported 26 non-profits.
- Price: Starts at $830 with no stain. Additional stain costs $83.
- How to save: Check out their Sale page. Right now you can get 10% off one item, 15% off two items, or 20% off three items with a $1000 minimum order.
Round French Country Table
From Circle Furniture, this round dining table is available in four different sizes to fit your kitchen or dining room and can be made with natural maple or natural cherry wood. The majority of Circle’s furniture is made in New England, and all of their products use sustainably-sourced wood from forests managed according to strict environmental, economic, and social standards. Circle Furniture also partners with local nonprofits and organizations to fundraise for important causes.
- Price: Starting at $859.
- How to save: Check out Circle’s Outlet page for some seriously discounted furniture. For people in the Boston area, you can get local white glove delivery for $99.
Eco-friendly kitchen carts
Nexera Microwave Cart
This cart is perfect for storing a microwave, spices, and other various kitchen items, plus it’s on wheels so it’s easy to move around the kitchen. The cart is made in Canada from natural maple and is approved by the FSC. It has a drawer, three bottle racks, and two open sections with an adjustable shelf.
- Price: $155.84.
- How to save: The listed price is from Houzz, where this item is currently 45% off.
Mid-Century Bar Cart
Another great item from West Elm, this bar cart is perfect for a fun night of sharing drinks with friends. It’s made with sustainably-sourced, FSC-certified eucalyptus wood and covered in a water-based walnut finish. This item is made in a Fair Trade Certified facility, and it meets - and exceeds - Greenguard standards for emissions and VOCs.
- Price: $299.
- How to save: Get 15% off from West Elm when you sign up for their mailing list. They have regular deals like their current sale of up to 60% off when you use the code: HOTDEAL. You can also get the West Elm credit card which gets you a $50 signup bonus, 10% cash back on your purchases, and a $25 reward on your birthday.
Eco-friendly office furniture
Workspace is sacred, and if you work from home like I do, you know that having the perfect desk setup is critical for productivity. These are some desk and bookshelf options that have a small carbon footprint:
Manhattan Computer Desk
From Masaya and Company, this desk is perfectly designed for working on your computer with a hole for wires and a smooth gliding drawer for your keyboard. It’s available in Rosita Walnut, Teak, or Royal Mahogany and all of their woods are sustainably harvested tropical hardwood from Nicaragua. Each of their items is made-to-order just for you.
- Price: $1300 plus shipping based on location.
- How to save: Sign up for their mailing list to receive promotions. You can also save on shipping costs by visiting their showroom in Nashville, TN.
EVO Standing Desk
Standing desks have become incredibly popular in recent years, and EVO has truly upped the standing desk game. Their desks are totally customizable and expandable, and they’ve got three sustainable material options: recycled wood, rubber wood, and bamboo. Their metal finish is environmentally-friendly and they don’t use any plastic or solvent based paints on their products.
- Price: Starting at $599.
- How to save: Check out their Promotions page for deals and discounts on their desks.
Way Basics Cubby Storage Unit
This small bookshelf from Way Basics is made from zBoard, a strong eco-friendly material that makes for a sturdy shelving unit and is completely recyclable. Way Basics makes all of their products free of formaldehyde and toxic VOCs. The shelf is super easy to assemble as it uses 3M industrial adhesive strips and pins to hold it together as opposed to screws and nails.
- Price: $59.
- How to save: Get 10% off when you sign up for Way Basics’ mailing list. Get $1 shipping on orders over $100 when you use the code: FREESHIP. Hayneedle sells this product for $43.25 and you can get free shipping from them on orders over $49.
Scribed Oak Wide Bookshelf
This wide shelf has ten different compartments for storing your books, DVDs, papers, and other items. It’s made in the USA from FSC-certified oak from sustainable forests and is made entirely from recycled materials with a salt oak finish. The shelf is also CARB-compliant which means it meets California’s standards that help maintain non-toxic indoor environments.
- Price: $279.99.
- How to save: This item is available on Houzz and the price listed is a major discount from the $430 suggested retail price.
Finding eco-friendly furniture for every room in your house is not only a great way to do your part to save our environment, but with this guide you can see that it’s also totally possible to do so within your budget. There are so many furniture options that will look great in your home and help you reduce your impact, so why not give eco-friendly furniture a go?
Interested in getting more great information about things you purchase every day? Be sure to keep up with the Knoji blog, plus check out the Knoji homepage where we’ve answered thousands of questions about how to save at all of your favorite retailers.