Did you know that the average US couple spends over $33,000 on their wedding? It’s true! According to a report from popular wedding website The Knot, those numbers are even higher for folks who got married in the most expensive wedding spot in the US, Manhattan, where fiancés financed over $75,000 on the big day. With the average wedding running you more than even a modest car, plenty of newlyweds are looking for the best ways to save money once the party’s over.
Thankfully, from your wedding registry to your honeymoon, there are plenty of perks for newlyweds, including honeymoon discounts, newlywed travel discounts, and gifts for newlyweds. That’s why we’ve put together this guide with all of the best discounts for newlyweds.
Here’s what you’ll get in this guide:
- 8 of our best tips for saving money as a newlywed
- 25 discounts you can get by registering with your favorite retailers
- 24 travel and vacation discounts for the perfect romantic honeymoon
- 3 miscellaneous extra perks to help newlyweds save money
Tips for getting newlywed discounts
- Don’t be shy! You know, they say the squeaky wheel always gets the grease. So be sure to let folks know that you just got married to see if they’ve got any secret discounts in store. There’s no harm in asking.
- If you’re really fine with putting yourself out there, try wearing “Just Married” shirts or something else that’ll let people know you’re the newlyweds in town. It might be a little embarrassing, but it also might score you some free stuff!
- Get registered with stores that have a completion discount. Not sure what that is? Keep reading and we’ll tell you everything you need to know.
- If it’s a honeymoon you’re after, consider working with a travel agent. They’re often clued into discounts and special packages that you might not be able to find yourself.
- For destination weddings, many hotels will offer a package with your wedding where you can spend a few honeymoon days free of charge. Check with your hotel to see if they offer something like that.
- Keep a copy of your marriage certificate on you. This might seem a little overboard, but there are some places that only offer newlywed discounts if you can offer proof that you’ve been recently married. Make a copy and stash it in your bag to bring around with you.
- Set up a gift registry for your honeymoon. Many vacation destinations like Disney offer gift registries where your wedding guests can surprise you with extra perks during your honeymoon. It’s a great gift option for them, and a nice way to stick to your budget while you’re honeymooning.
- Know your registry’s terms. A lot of gift registries will reward you with free stuff or cash back if your wedding-goers spend a certain amount on a given brand. Do a little research to find out what products will get you gifts or money back so you can gently encourage your friends to get those.
Wedding registry completion discounts for newlyweds
One of the easiest ways to save as a newlywed is through completion discounts. What’s that, you ask? Well, many stores that offer wedding registries are keen to reward your loyalty by offering you a discount on your registry items once your big day has come and gone. These stores have coupons and savings for you to take advantage of when the wedding is done:
- Amazon. Amazon offers a one-time discount to newlyweds who used Amazon for their wedding registry. Enjoy a 20% discount if you’re a Prime member or a 10% discount if you’re not a Prime member valid for one purchase up to 90 days after your wedding day.
- Anthropologie. For all your home decor needs, Anthropologie offers a one-time use 15% off coupon for any items left on your registry valid up to 90 days after your wedding.
- Bed, Bath, & Beyond. With their Completion Discount, Bed, Bath, & Beyond offers their wedding registry customers 20% off any remaining items on their registry after the big day.
- Best Buy. Yes, Best Buy does offer wedding registries! They have a completion discount where you’ll get a one-time use coupon for 10% off any remaining items on your registry.
- Bloomingdale’s. This luxury retailer offers a 10% discount on all of your registry items for up to six months after your wedding day. Within three months of your wedding day, you’ll get one more special day when they’ll offer you 20% off your remaining registry items.
- Blueprint Registry. Blueprint is an online wedding registry with items from tons of your favorite retailers. Their completion discount offers you 10% off items left on your registry for a full year after your wedding day.
- Boscov’s. Boscov’s offers several perks to their registry members including a 10% rebate on all gifts purchased that you can use to buy things off your list (up to $250) and a 10% completion discount that you can use after your big day. See a Boscov’s associate for more information.
- Crate & Barrel. Get 10% off unlimited purchases for the first six months after your wedding date when you sign up for a Crate & Barrel registry, plus free shipping on orders over $99. Newlyweds who register in-store can also get 10% off a stay of three days or more at Couples Jamaica Resort.
- Dillard’s. Dillard’s offers a 20% discount on your remaining registry items when you visit them in-store. Talk to a store associate for details.
- Ethan Allen. Grab all the remaining home decor goods on your registry for 15% off with Ethan Allen’s completion discount. Offer is valid in-store only for up to six months after your wedding.
- Food52. Food52 has all of your kitchen needs, and they offer a 10% discount for anyone who registered with them up to six months after your wedding.
- Heath Ceramics. If dinnerware, kitchen items, and furniture are your speed, Heath Ceramics will give folks who registered with them a one-time 15% off coupon for any remaining registry items.
- JCPenney. This popular department store offers a 10% discount on items left on your registry for up to six months after your wedding date.
- Macy’s. The wedding might be over, but Macy’s offers discounts on your wedding registry for a full six months after the big day. You can get 20% off most regular, sale, and clearance items on your registry and 10% off larger items like couches and rugs.
- Neiman Marcus. For all those high flyers out there, Neiman Marcus offers a 10% discount on any items left on their registry for up to a year after your wedding.
- Pier One. Get a 15% completion discount from Pier One when you sign up for their registry. They also offer free shipping on all orders over $49 when you use code: FREESHIP49.
- Pottery Barn. Pottery Barn offers a 10% discount on all purchases for up to six months after your wedding date as long as you set up a wedding registry with them.
- Sur La Table. This high-end kitchen and dining store offers folks who register with them a 10% completion discount for up to six months after your wedding date. That includes items on your registry and those you add after your big day.
- Target. Target offers a one-time online and one-time in-store coupon for 15% off any items left on your wedding registry.
- The Container Store. Get a one-time use discount certificate for 10% off any remaining items on your registry, valid for up to a month after your wedding.
- UGallery. If art is more your forté, UGallery offers people who register with them a 15% completion discount valid for up to six months after your wedding day.
- Wayfair. With plenty of essential home goods items in stock, you’ll be sure to get full use out of Wayfair’s completion discount which gives you 10% off all of your registry items for a full six months after your wedding date.
- West Elm. Get a 15% completion discount on items left on your list when you register with West Elm.
- Williams Sonoma. If you used Williams Sonoma for your registry, you can get 10% off on unlimited purchases for up to six months after your wedding date.
- Zola. This popularly wedding registry site will automatically apply a 20% discount to all of your purchases for up to six months after your wedding date if you created a Zola registry more than 30 days prior to your wedding.
Travel and honeymoon discounts for newlyweds
The honeymoon is a highlight of getting married for many couples, but after spending massive amounts on a wedding, it can certainly take a toll on your wallet. These discounts, packages, and all-inclusive resorts can help you kick back after your wedding without worrying about breaking the bank:
- Coconut Bay Resort & Spa. Grab this St. Lucia resort’s complimentary Newlywed Package to get sparkling wine and a tropical fruit display in your room, plus a free dinner for two. If you book their “Cocomoon” Package starting at $599 you’ll get access to some other special activities and a free night if you decide to come back for your first anniversary.
- Contiki. Contiki offers experience-oriented and hassle-free trips to destinations across the globe. They’ve got a bunch of different ways to save, including their Newlywed Discount where you can get a $150 discount per couple when you call them and mention “newlyweds” or “honeymooners.”
- Cove Haven Poconos Resort. Military service members can get 50% off all-inclusive honeymoon and romance packages at Cove Haven.
- Dreams Resorts. Dreams offers a fabulous complimentary Honeymoon Package (valued at $999) at all of their resorts in Mexico, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Panama, and Puerto Rico. It includes drinks and flowers on arrival, several private meals, spa treatments, and petit fours each night at turn-down. Plus, you can get a discounted rate on your first anniversary if you choose to come back. This deal is also available at their sister companies Secrets Resorts and Breathless Resorts.
- Gurney’s Montauk Resort. Get bridal spa services and pre-wedding pampering before your wedding at one of the six venues at Gurney’s Montauk, and you’ll score three days free at their newest property in Newport, RI.
- Honeymoons, Inc. Honeymoons is a Caribbean-focused travel agency that specializes in offering great deals on honeymoon packages. Check out their Specials page to find resorts that offer free perks to newlyweds.
- Honeymoons.com. This site is dedicated to providing information on honeymoons, including a listing of some of their favorite affordable packages across the globe. Head to their homepage to check out their honeymoon faves and sign up for their email list to get deals sent directly to your inbox.
- Kempinski Seychelles Resort. Get 35% off their best available rate when you book your honeymoon at their resort. You’ll also get honeymoon amenities on arrival as well as a 20% discount voucher for spa treatments.
- Keyonna Beach Resort. Spend your honeymoon with them and use code: KBRLOVE to get a 15% discount on your stay, plus take an extra 15% off if you join their VIP club. If you don’t get married at the resort, you’ll need to present a marriage certificate.
- Liberty Travel. This nationwide travel agency has tons of different affordable and amazing honeymoon options and a staff of people who can help you plan them. Through their My Time program, you can get access to exclusive discounts complimentary extras. Plus, they offer a honeymoon registry so your friends and family can send you money to use on special vacation activities.
- Lunamoons. Lunamoons connects you with a travel agent and an online platform to help you build your own customized honeymoon vacation. They offer free consultations and once you’ve chosen the basics of your trip, you can use their online tools to compare prices and build your itinerary so you can figure out the most cost-effective honeymoon possible.
- Marriott. Marriott offers honeymoon accommodations across the globe. Use code: HON to find special discounts and rates on their Honeymoon Bliss package which includes breakfast for two each day, a bottle of champagne, chocolate-covered strawberries, and late check out on your departure date.
- Omni Hotels & Resorts. Have your wedding at participating Omni Resorts, and you’ll receive a complimentary stay at one of their 14 premier hotels and resorts. Ask your wedding planner for details. Some locations may also include free daily breakfast, amenities to welcome you, and a credit for some spa time.
- Princess Cruises. Get a savings of 10% off when you purchase their regular Honeymoon Package which includes a bottle of Dom Perignon with complimentary champagne glasses, chocolate-covered strawberries, a day-pass to their thermal spa, and a balcony breakfast for two.
- Ritz Carlton Westchester. Folks who spend at least $30,000 on their wedding at the Ritz-Carlton in Westchester, NY can get the “Honeymoon On US” deal where you can stay two nights for free in any Ritz-Carlton in the US, Puerto Rico, Mexico, or the Caribbean plus a complimentary breakfast for two on one day during your stay.
- Rosewood Hotels. Rosewood offers the “Perfect Match,” a wedding program that gets you a complimentary two-day honeymoon at one of their resorts, 10% off any extra days you stay, breakfast-in-bed one day of your stay, and flowers and champagne on arrival if you spend the requisite amount on your wedding.
- Sandals and Beaches Resorts. Their complimentary Honeymoon Package includes a free bottle of sparkling wine, special turndown service on the night of your arrival, and flowers and breakfast in bed on one day of your visit.
- Secrets Resorts. Book a minimum of seven nights in the required room category and get their complimentary honeymoon package which includes amenities on arrival, free spa treatments, one breakfast in bed, one private beachfront dinner, turn-down treats, and free future nights if you come back to celebrate your anniversary.
- Sunscape Resorts. Check out this fabulous Curaçao resort and get their free Newlywed Package which gets you fruit and a bottle of wine, special turndown service, one morning of breakfast in bed with mimosas, and 15% off discount on all spa treatments.
- Swan and Dolphin Resorts. Get a daily complimentary breakfast, wine and cheese snack on arrival, and a late 4:00 pm check-out on the day you leave with their Honeymoon Packages. Call to book and mention code SIROMPKG.
- Tarisa Resort & Spa Mauritius. For newlyweds they provide a t-shirt and a pareo, a bottle of sparkling wine, and discounts on all spa activities if you visit and present a wedding certificate within six months of your wedding.
- Travelling Newlyweds. This travel blog from newlyweds Alli and Bobby Talley has tons of great, affordable, and global vacation ideas for newlyweds. Sign up for their mailing list and you can get access to occasional exclusive offers and deals.
- United Vacations. United Airlines has a travel planning wing of their operations with some great deals, particularly on all-inclusive tropical vacations. Many of their offerings come with honeymooner perks like room upgrades and complimentary gifts and services. Perks will vary by hotel so pick your vacation and find out what freebies you can get.
- Zoetry. This resort and spa hosts special deals for honeymooners in Punta Cana. Enjoy a special candlelit meal in your suite or by the water. Folks who stay the required number of nights can earn points towards a one-year anniversary trip, plus they’ve got a gift registry where your wedding guests can buy you resort experiences.
Of course, some folks have gotten extra creative with their honeymoon spending by using new credit cards and frequent flyer miles to finance elaborate romantic getaways. Many credit card companies will grant you perks just for signing up with them, and if you use those perks in just the right way, you can get most of your honeymoon paid for you. Here are a few great articles to help you figure out if this might be a good plan for you:
Miscellaneous deals for newlyweds
Registries and honeymoons are the obvious choices when it comes to saving for newlyweds. But, we’ve got a few other discounts up our sleeves. Check these out:
- Crated With Love. Keep the spark alive with this monthly subscription service that encourages you to plan dates together. When you sign up for their email list, you can get a free ebook on relationships plus get access to special discounts and offers with them. They have options as cheap as $1.99 per month.
- Nearly Newlywed. Through their Sell Your Dress program, you can create a listing with Nearly Newlywed to sell your wedding dress— that is, if you don’t want to keep it in your closet forever. Nearly Newlywed will take care of all the details and you’ll get 60% of the sale price.
- The Newlywed Box. This monthly subscription box includes games, activities, workbooks, and other tools to help you navigate the early years of matrimony. You can save on their box by choosing an annual subscription.
Weddings might be pricey, but life after the big day doesn’t have to be. Take advantages of the many discounts we’ve offered here and you’ll be sure to start your life together with money in the bank.
Of course, like marriage, saving money is— ideally— a lifelong project, and we’ve got all of the best advice and information you need to continue sticking to your budget during married life. Be sure to check Knoji for our regularly updated articles on topics like this, plus head over to the Knoji homepage to find out our answers to thousands of questions about how to save at all of your favorite retailers.