Blue Bottle Coffee vs Philz Coffee vs Stumptown Coffee Roasters vs Starbucks: Which Has the Best Coffee?
Blue Bottle Coffee
Blue Bottle Coffee began in the early 2000s when James Freeman, a freelance musician and coffee lunatic decided he was tired of the normal commercial coffees on the market bought a roaster to roast his own coffee beans. His vow was “I will only sell coffee less than 48 hours out of the roaster to my guests, so they may enjoy coffee at peak flavor. I will only use the finest, most delicious, and responsibly sourced beans.” They work with coffee farmers from around the world to source the finest coffee beans.
Blue Bottle Coffee Products and Prices
Blue Bottle Coffee sells many types of coffee. Many of their products are available in whole bean and or perfectly ground. Their coffee products include the following.
Limited release coffees:
- Panama Boquete Elida Estate is a coffee blend of papaya, orange blossoms and caramel. This coffee is grown at an elevation of 8,200 feet at Panama’s highest coffee-growing estate. The cost begins at $14.50 for a 6 oz bad of whole beans.
- Colombia Cerro Azul Gesha is one of the rarest Gesha tree coffees and is grown in Colombia and costs $35 for a 100 gram bag.
- Bella Donovan is a heavy, comforting and deeply fruited blend of coffee from Ethiopian and Sumatran coffees for a cost of $9 for a 6 oz bag or $17 for a 12 oz bag.
- Beta Blend is described as a candied orange, milk chocolate and white peach tasting coffee from a blend of Ethiopian and Guatemalan coffees for a price of $17.00 for a 12 oz whole bean bag and $9.00 for a 6 ounce bag.
- Three Africas is a wonderful blend of Ethiopian and central African coffees that is described as fruity, radiant and creamy. Customers can buy this coffee at $17.00 for a 12 oz bag of whole beans or several choices of ground coffee at $17.50.
Whole bean prices are for a one time purchase. Subscribers save $1 to $3.
Single Origin Coffees:
- Kenya Embu Gikirima is one of the finest coffees from Kenya described as having notes of marmalade, candied ginger, and riesling. The price is $17.50 for ground coffee available in several brewing methods.
- Kenya Nyeri Miiri is another great coffee from Kenya described as apricot juice, blackberry wine, and mint. The price is $11.25 for a 6 oz bag or $22.50 for a 12 oz bag of whole beans.
- Guatemala Huehuetenango La Esperanza coffee from Guatemala is described with notes of lemon, honey and nectarine. The price is $17.50 for ground coffee available in several brewing methods.
Blue Bottle Coffee also offers numerous single origin coffees from Ethiopia, Honduras and Panama. Other coffee products include espresso, decaffeinated and assortment packages.
They go to each coffee plantation and farm and observe the growing conditions, washing and taste each coffee. Each of their coffees includes in-depth descriptions of each coffee.
Blue Bottle Coffee Subscriptions
Blue Bottle Coffee has several coffee subscription plans so you will always have their great coffee available.
- Half bag subscription includes a 6 oz bag of coffee beans for $7 per shipment.
- Standard bag is a 12 oz bag of coffee beans at $14 per shipment.
- Double bag subscription is a 24 oz bag of whole coffee beans at $26 per shipment.
- Triple bag subscription contains a 36 oz bag of whole beans for $37.
All of their whole bean coffees ships within 24 hours of roasting. Customers can cancel at any time. Their website also includes many types of brewing tip articles and coffee brewing guides.
Blue Bottle Coffee Shipping
Blue Bottle Coffee offers free shipping with orders over $50, plus some of their coffees list as free shipping.
Philz Coffee began 25 years ago when Phil Jaber went on a quest throughout the country and the world to find the best coffees. His goal was to create a coffee that was unique flavorful, complex, rich, smooth, and low in acidity. In addition to their online store, they also have many retail stores in the San Francisco area including the east bay, Los Angeles and Washington D.C.
Philz Coffee Products and Prices
Philz Coffee sells several different types of coffee that include the following coffees.
- Jacobs Wonderbar with an aroma of chocolate, nut and cloves.
- Ether is described as smoky, dry and charcoal.
- Julie’s Ultimate is a nutty, cinnamon aroma with a hint of oatmeal.
- Aromatic Arabic is an earthy coffee with smoky aroma.
- Tantalizing Turkish is a popular coffee with the aromas of cardamom, maple and herbs.
- Code 33 is described as having the aroma of apples, nuts and herbs.
Philz Coffee darker blend coffees all have a full body and low acidity.
- Ambrosia Coffee of God is berry aromatic coffee
- Tesora is an aromatic coffee with the aromas of butter, nuts and caramel.
- Silken Splendor is a medium blend of coffee with an aroma of dark cocoa, nuts and butter.
Plus many other medium blend coffees to choose from. Their medium blend coffees have a body and an acidity level of medium.
- Sooo Good is a smooth coffee with an aroma of grapefruit, currant and raisins.
- New Manhattan is described to have an aroma of cinnamon, citrus and cherry.
- Greater Alarm and Canopy of Heaven are their other two lighter blends of coffee.
Their lighter blends of coffee have high acidity and a light body. Usually a lighter blend has more caffeine.
All of their prices are $18 per 1 pound bag. The great thing about Philz Coffee is that you can select from the following grinds:
- Whole bean
- Other, which allows customers to enter in their grinding notes
They do not mention where their coffee beans come from.
Philz Coffee also sells other products including the following teas and spices:
- Loose green tea with a price of $32.99 for 1 pound.
- Loose black tea with a price of $24.99 per pound.
- Chamomile tea is $39.99 per pound.
- Yerba Mate is $39.99 per pound.
- Freshly milled cardamom is $10 for a ¼ pound.
- Anise is $5.25 for a ¼ pound.
Philz Coffee also sells merchandise like coffee mugs, silver or black contigo’s and more.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters
Stumptown Coffee Roasters is another fine gourmet coffee company located in Portland, Oregon. In addition to their online store, they also have local retail coffee shops in Portland, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York City and New Orleans.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters Coffee Products
Stumptown Coffee Roasters carries many types of coffee and it is easy on their website to search for the type of coffee you are interested in. Customers can search for coffee in the following categories:
- Africa includes three types of Ethiopian coffees.
- Latin America has many types of coffees from South and Central America from Costa Rica, Ecuador, Guatemala and Peru.
- Blends include all of their blended coffee beans that include a complete description of the coffee plus decaffeinated coffee. Some of their blends include French Roast, House Blend, Slay Ride and many other coffees.
- Grand Cru is their Guatemalan specialty coffees.
Most of their coffees come in a 12 ounce package of whole bean coffee. Their prices range from $18 to $45 for their Grand Cur coffee.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters also carries a nice selection of teas that include:
- Meadow is a caffeine free blend of chamomile and Rooibis and is a very soothing tea.
- White Petal is a tea blend of chamomile and osmanthus flower.
- Masala Chai is a great traditional tea mixed with spicy black Assam tea with aromatic spices.
- Mao Feng Shui is a traditional Chinese green tea.
- Peppermint leaves is a caffeine free tea.
- Big Hibiscus is another caffeine free tea that is great all day long, hot or cold.
- Bungalow is the traditional breakfast black tea with a mix of organic Darjeeling first and second flush tea.
- Lord Bergamot is another traditional tea that is a mix of Earl Gray and other black teas.
- Jasmine Silver Tip is a full leaf green tea from China.
All of their teas cost is $12 for 15 individually wrapped sachets.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters Merchandise
Stumptown Coffee Roasters also sells great products for coffee and tea brewing such as a French press, Bonavita Brewer, drippers, Bialetti Venus Moka Pot and many other brewing products.
Their website also includes a brew guide with articles that include everything from French press help to espresso.
Stumptown Coffee Roasters Subscription Prices
Stumptown Coffee Roasters offers a subscription service also for their products for a low price that starts at $16 per shipment. They also offer free samples of their products.
Starbucks is by far the best known coffee shop in the world. Starbucks started over 40 years ago, in 1971 with one store in Seattle, Washington and today you can find a Starbucks on almost every street corner. They carry all types of coffee, teas and coffee related merchandise.
Starbucks Coffee and Prices
Starbucks offers many types of coffee at their stores, in local grocery stores and on their online store. They sell coffee from all over the world include Africa, Indonesia and South America in whole bean and ground. Customers can refine their search for coffee by the following categories:
- Whole bean or ground. If they only sell your favorite coffee in whole bean, they can ground it for you at one of their stores.
- Roast includes bold, medium or mild.
- Caffeine level or decaffeinated.
- Certifications include conservation, fair trade and organic.
You can also sort by holiday coffee, featured, best selling, price and dark or light roast.
A few of their coffees and prices include:
- Sun-dried Ethiopia Limu for $14.50 for 8.8 oz.
- Rwanda Hingakawa for $14.50 per an 8.8 oz bag.
- Espresso Roast whole bean for $12.95 for a 1 pound bag.
- Sumatra whole bean or ground for $13.95 per pound,
- Italian roast whole bean for 12.95 per pound.
- French roast whole bean for $12.95 per pound.
- Guatemala Antigua whole bean for $13.95 per pound.
- Breakfast Blend whole bean or ground for $12.95 per pound.
- Kenya whole bean for $13.95 per pound.
- Peru whole bean for $9.95 per pound.
- Mexico Chiapas whole bean for $14.95 per pound.
That is just a small sample of the coffees that Starbucks carries.
In addition to all of their coffees, Starbucks also carries the following coffee products:
- Verismo pods
- K-cup pods
- Via instant coffee
Starbucks carries a good selection of teas from tea companies lie Tazo and Teavana.
- Black tea includes Teavana Joy 2016 flavored tea, Tazo chai tea latte concentrate and Tazo Awake English Breakfast filtered tea bags.
- Green tea choices are Tazo brands like Zen tea, green ginger filtered tea bags and Zen K-cup bags.
- Chai tea includes Tazo chai tea latte concentrate, organic chai filterbag teas and Teavana chai tea verismo pods.
- Herbal teas include Tazo Passion teabags, Calm chamomile teabags and Peach Tranquility from Teavana.
- They also carry a nice selection of Teavana teas like Royal English Breakfast and Emperor’s Clouds and Mist and many other teas.
Starbucks also carries merchandise like mugs, tumblers, travel cups and cold cups.
Starbucks also has a subscription that includes rare and small lot coffees that start at $19 per month with free shipping included. Their coffee is shipped within 48 hours of roasting at their Seattle location.
Fine and gourmet coffee is like fine wine and is hard to choose which coffee is the best. Every person has their own taste and preferences as to which coffee is their favorite and what part of the world their favorite coffee comes from. These are all wonderful coffees and each carries a coffee for every palate.
The availability of the various blends of coffee changes, and not all blends in this article might not always be available. Prices also change due to the overall prices of coffee.