Beautiful Castles in Ohio
Presented here are 21 beautiful castles in Ohio. The state of Ohio has a long history of industrial production and the owners of the industries got rich here and some of them built castles including Stan Hywet Hall which is one of the largest homes in the United States. Other castles in Ohio especially around Cincinnati were built using public funds including a high school. Ohio is full of cool looking castles with great stories but the coolest castle of all in the Buckeye State is probably the library castle in Van Wert.
Glamorgan Castle in Alliance
Glamorgan Castle is located at 200 Glamorgan Street in Alliance, Ohio. The castle was built in 1904-1905 by Colonel William Henry Morgan who owned the Morgan Engineering Company which he inherited from his father. Glamorgan Castle was built using blue and white marble from Vermont and the walls are over 1 foot thick and the total cost of the castle was $400,000. During the Great Depression Morgan's widow sold Glamorgan Castle to the Elks Lodge for $25,000. In 1964 the Alliance Machine Company bought the castle and in 1973 Glamorgan Castle was given to the Alliance City School District who use it today to house their administration offices and also offers public tours of the castle.
Loveland Castle or Chateau Laroche in Loveland
Loveland Castle which is also known as Chateau Laroche is located along the banks of the Little Miami River at 12025 Shore Road in Loveland, Ohio. Loveland Castle was built beginning in 1929 by a Boy Scout leader named Harry Andrews whose troop was called the Knights of the Golden Trail. Andrews and his troop often camped on land along the Little Miami River owned by parents of some troop leaders who donated the land to the troop. Andrews started building stone tents on the grounds and then just kept building a castle which his troop continued after Andrews died in 1981. Today Loveland Castle is owned by the Chateau Laroche Society and is open to the public and available to be rented out for weddings and special events.
The Piatt Castles in West Liberty, Ohio
The Piatt Castles are located about 1 mile apart in West Liberty Ohio. The castles were built by the Piatt brothers, Donn and Abram back in the 1860's and 1870's. These are the two castle.
Mac-O-Chee Castle was built by Donn Piatt beginning in 1864 and is located at 2319 State Route 287 just 2 miles east of West Liberty.
Mac-A-Cheek Castle was built by Abram Piatt also beginning in 1864 and is located at 10051 Township Road 47 just 1 mile east of West Liberty.
The Piatt Castles are only 1 mile apart and today both are run as tourist attractions and are both available for wedding and special events. The Piatt's got into the tourist business back in 1912 when Abram's son William inherited Mac-A-Cheek and decided to start charging all the people who would come and out and look at the castle a fee. William thought charging admission would keep people from bothering him but instead more and more people came to visit and didn't mind paying for a look.
Franklin Castle in Cleveland
Franklin Castle is located at 4308 Franklin Boulevard on the western side of Cleveland, Ohio. Franklin Castle was built in 1865 for German immigrant Hannes Tiedemann and his family. Originally built just as a home Tiedemann added the castle-like features to the home to distract his wife from the deaths of four of their children who all died over a four year span in the 1880's. Tiedemann was reputed to have a temper and speculation swirled he was involved in all these deaths and a few others. Subsequent owners of the Franklin Castle have reported seeing ghosts inside and the Franklin Castle is considered the most haunted house in Ohio today.
Stan Hywet Hall in Akron
Stan Hywet Hall is a huge castle-like country estate located at 714 North Portage Path in Akron, Ohio. Stan Hywet means stone quarry in Old English and and Stan Hywet Hall was built for Frank Seiberling the founder of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company from 1912 to 1915. Stan Hywet Hall today is open to the public for tours and also available for wedding and special events and is also one of the 10 Largest Homes in the United States.
Squire's Castle in Willoughby Hills
Squire's Castle is located in the North Chagrin Reservation which is part of the Cleveland Metroparks system of nature preserves in the greater Cleveland area. The castle is visible from River Road. It was built by Feargus B. Squire one of the founders of Standard Oil in the 1890's and its intended use was as a gatekeeper's house for the estate Squire was going to build nearby. Squire never built the estate and Cleveland Metroparks acquired Squire's Castle in 1925 and today it open to the public with no admission fee.
Ohio National Guard Armory Castle in Cincinnati
The Ohio National Guard Armory Castle was built in 1886 and is located at 1437-1439 Western Avenue in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ravenwood Castle in Hocking Hills
Ravenwood Castle is located at 65666 Bethel Road in Hocking Hills, Ohio. It was built in 1994 as a restaurant and bed and breakfast hotel by Jim and Sue Maxwell and is also available to rent out for for weddings and special events.
Captain Stone House Castle in Cincinnati
The Captain Stone House Castle is located at 405 Oak Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was built in 1890 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Butler County Courthouse Castle in Hamilton
The Butler County Courthouse is a castle-like building located at 101 High Street in Hamilton, Ohio. The courthouse was built from 1885-1889 and originally had a dome on top of the octagonal tower but the dome was removed after being struck by lightning in 1926 and the tower without a dome gives the Butler County Courthouse a castle-like appearance.
Elsinore Arch Castle in Cincinnati
The Elsinore Arch Castle is located in Eden Park at Gilbert Avenue and Elsinore Place in Cincinnati, Ohio. This Norman Romanesque Revival mini-castle was built in 1883 by the Cincinnati Water Works as an entrance to Eden Park which contains the Cincinnati Art Museum and Krohn Conservatory.
Eden Park Castle Tower in Cincinnati
Also located in Eden Park in Cincinnati is the Eden Park Castle Tower. This 172 foot tall castle tower was built in 1894 and served as a water tower in the city until 1912. Today it is used by the city as a communications tower.
Cooke Castle on Gibraltar Island
Located on Gibraltar Island in Lake Erie in Ohio is Cooke Castle. Gibraltar Island is famous for being the lookout site for Commodore Oliver Perry Hazard as his American Naval Fleet defeated the British in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. In 1864 financier Jay Cooke bought the island and built Cooke's Castle on the island. Gibraltar Island and Cooke Castle became the property of Ohio State University in 1925 and the college is in process of renovating Cooke Castle today.
Ohio Renaissance Festival Castle in Harveysburg
At the entrance to the Ohio Renaissance Festival located at 10542 East State Route 73 in Harveysburg, Ohio is a castle like structure. The festival is a an annual event that takes place weekends from August through October and is set in an English village from Elizabethan times.
The Arts Castle in Delaware, Ohio
The Arts Castle is located at 190 West Winter Street in Delaware, Ohio. The Arts Castle was built in 1846 as a wedding present from businessman William Little to his daughter Elizabeth when she married George Campbell who was also Little's business partner. Today the Arts Castle is home to the Delaware County Cultural Art Center and is open to the public.
Brumback Library Castle in Van Wert
The Brumback Library Castle is located 215 West Main Street in Van Wert, Ohio. The Brumback Library Castle was built in 1899 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. What kid wouldn't want a castle for a library?
Jeffrey Mansion Castle in Bexley, Ohio
The Jeffrey Mansion Castle is located at 165 North Parkview Avenue in Bexley, Ohio. The Jeffrey Mansion Castle was built by the former mayor of Columbus, Ohio and industrialist Robert H. Jeffrey. In 1941 the Jeffrey family donated the mansion castle to the city of Bexley and the building serves as the home of the Parks and Recreation Department.
White Castle in Columbus, Ohio
Image Source (White Castle hamburger joint in Cincinnati)
The world headquarters of the White Castle hamburger chain is located in Columbus, Ohio.
Odd Fellows Home for Orphans Castle in Springfield
The Odd Fellows Home for Orphans Castle is located along Rocky Point Road in Springfield, Ohio. This huge castle like building was built by the non-profit fraternal organization called the Odd Fellows in 1898 and served as an orphanage until the early 1960's when it was converted into an old age nursing home. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lockland High School in Lockland
The Lockland High School has a castle-like front appearance and is an open enrollment high school located at 249 West Forrer Avenue in Lockland, Ohio just north of Cincinnati.
For more see 21 Beautiful Famous Castles in California