Ambroxol (Mucosolvan) Side Effects
Ambroxol (mucosolvan) side effects
Ambroxol Hydrochloride is an effective expectorant administered for various respiratory problems. It is a medically proven active mucolytic agent. Ambroxol is used for treating respiratory tract infections and other lung infections, which includes inflammatory pulmonary ailments. Ambroxol works by loosening the airway, making coughing much easier. Ambroxol is available in generic form as well as under various brand names but is restricted in North America.
Gastrointestinal Side effects
Gastrointestinal reactions are the common side effects linked to Ambroxol. Symptoms include stomach upset, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, nausea, indigestion and vomiting. If any of these Ambroxol side effects become pertinent or bothersome, seek for immediate medical help.
Dry mouth, problem in urination, headache, weakness and continuous running nose are rare Ambroxol side effects reported in patients.
Rare reports of allergic reactions to Ambroxol have been reported. Symptoms include skin irritation, hives, redness, skin itching, difficulty in breathing, chest pain, swelling of face, throat, tongue or lips. In case any of these side effects occur, stop using Ambroxol, and consult a doctor immediately.
Rare reports of extreme anaphylactic reactions have been reported in patients using Ambroxol, but it has not been established clinically whether it is actually triggered by Ambroxol or other factors.
Intravenous Side effects
Severe headaches, chills, weakness and difficulty in breathing have been linked with intravenous use of Ambroxol.
These are not the complete list of possible Ambroxol side effects, for further information, consult your doctor.
Tips and warnings
• Avoid Ambroxol in case any allergic reactions occur.
• Use Ambroxol as instructed by your physician or use after reading the instruction on the label. In case of any confusion, consult with your nearest pharmacist.
• Inform your doctor if you suffer from any other pre-existing disease and conditions.
• In case of pregnancy or breast-feeding consult with your doctor before using Ambroxol (mucosolvan) syrup.
• Ambroxol may interact and cause severe side effects, if administered in combination with other drugs. Inform your doctor if you are administering any other drugs for high pressure control or controlling diabetes.
• Ambroxol causes dizziness, avoid using it while driving or operating heavy machinery.