Advantages of School Field Trips
Exposing students to an actual and hands-on learning experience like a school field trip is an effective method of teaching. It is effective in a sense that it is entirely a different experience and new approach for children to acquire knowledge while having fun and relaxation at the same time. Here are the advantages of having a school field trip:
- Field trips give students the opportunity to visit new places and new environment. It erases the boredom of classroom lectures, especially on their most hated subject and teacher, even just for a day. New environment means new challenges that awaken students’ interest to learn and get new learning information.
- For young students, field trip is a day off from class or a no class at all activity. It is more about enjoyment, excitement, fun, fun and more fun without the pressure of being called to answer a question or be given a surprise quiz. They get the opportunity to interact with one another in a more informal, natural and relax manner.
- Through field trips, students learn by actually doing a hands-on experience. They learn effectively since their senses are actively interested in what they are doing more than it functions in a classroom setting. Depending on the subject of the field trip, students’ participation are not only limited to pure observations, but they can get an active involvement in the trips’ activity.
- Field trips are wonderful opportunities for children or students to be exposed to places that are not commonly or normally visited by their family. Parents may, of course, want to expose their children to many places and events that are of educational value and historical importance but due to some valid and unavoidable reasons like lack of time, knowledge and money, they were not able to do so.
- Field trips are effective methods to teach difficult or complicated subjects like biology, physics, chemistry or historical facts. With a field trip on a biology class for example, a teacher can take the students on a hunt for certain types of insects or flowers and for history subject, a teacher can bring his students in a local museum. Before the actual trip, the students should already be given an advance list of the task that they should perform so they will have an insight on what is going to happen when they arrive in their trip destination.