12 Amazing Health Benefits of Spring Onions and Nutritional Value of Spring OnionsFitness Gear & Equipment
Spring onions are a very popular vegetable and they come in different varieties including white, yellow and red. These tender onion bulbs are great in taste and also rich in nutrients. From a long time spring onions have been used in Chinese traditional medicines. Like onions spring onions are also high in sulfur. High amounts of sulfur provide many health benefits. These tender onions are low in calorie. Spring onions are a variety of scallion and also called green onions.
Spring Onions Nutrition – Nutrients in Spring Onions:
Spring onions are rich in vitamins including Vitamin C, Vitamin B2 and thiamine. They also contain Vitamin A and Vitamin K. In addition, these are good sources of copper, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, chromium, manganese and fiber. Spring onions are a strong source of flavonoids such as quercetin. A health promoting organic compound allyl propyl disulphidecan also be found in spring onions.
Health Benefits of Spring Onions:
With so many health promoting vitamins, minerals and natural compounds, spring onions are bound to be great for the health. Given below are some of the outstanding health benefits of spring onions.
1. Spring onions are good for cardiovascular health. They lower the oxidation of cholesterol and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
2. Sulfur compounds in this vegetable help in reducing and controlling blood pressure levels.
3. Spring onions help to reduce cholesterol levels as well.
4. The chromium content in spring onions provides health benefits of diabetics. It controls the blood sugar levels and improves glucose tolerance. Allyl propyl disulphide is also very helpful in lowering blood sugar levels.
5. Anti-bacterial properties in it help to fight against cold and flu.
6. Anti-bacterial properties also provide relief from digestive discomforts.
7. Vitamin C in this vegetable boosts the immunity.
8. Pectin (water-soluble colloidal carbohydrate) in spring onions reduces the chances of developing cancers especially colon cancer.
9. Quercetin in spring onions provides anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine benefits. It’s a good vegetable for treating arthritis and asthma.
10. It is a good food for regulating metabolism and keeping macronutrients.
11. Spring onions are good against eye disease and eye problems.
12. Allicin in this vegetable is good for the skin as it protects from skin wrinkling.
Besides all of the above health benefits, spring onions are also good for speeding up blood circulation. They provide protection against fungal infections and works as an appetizer as well. Regular intake of spring onions is extremely good for the health as these can protect us from many health problems and diseases.