There are various natural cough treatments to cure coughing. Following are some effective home remedies for cough.
Coughing is a natural reflex to clear the air passages. It helps clear your airways off lung irritants such as smoke and mucus. Cough can also be a symptom of a wide variety of mild to serious diseases, disorders, and conditions. Cough can result from infection, inflammation, trauma, malignancy, airway obstruction, and other abnormal processes.
Types of Cough
Basically, there are two types of cough: Chesty cough and dry cough.
1. Dry cough: A dry cough occurs when you have a throat irritation and the coughing produces no mucus or phlegm. Dry cough often occurs due to smoking, asthma, dust, or pollution. Temporary dry cough can result while traveling in polluted areas without sufficient fluid intake. Rapid temperature changes can also lead to a dry cough. In this case, the best solution is to moisturize your throat by drinking warm fluids, which helps soothe your mucus membranes.
2. Chesty cough: Chesty cough is characterized by the presence of mucus or phlegm in the chest, which is absent in a dry cough. A chesty cough is usually due to a viral or bacterial infection. This type of cough usually occurs when you have a cold, and is often followed by a sore throat or stuffy nose. Chesty cough expels the phlegm, which has formed in our respiratory passages so that the abnormal mucus and germs are eliminated from the respiratory tract, and breathing becomes easier.
Natural Home Remedies for Cough
Home remedies for cough and natural cough syrups can effectively cure coughing without any side effects. Let us see some very useful and effective home remedies for cough.
1. Grapes: Grapes are considered to be one of the most popular home remedies for cough. Grapes tone up the lungs and act as an expectorant (loosens phlegm from the lungs) that easily relieves coughing. Have a cup of grape juice, mixed with a teaspoon of honey on a daily basis to cure coughing.
2. Orange juice: When cough is severe, you can fast on orange juice and water can be taken until the severity is reduced. For this, take a cup of orange juice mixed with a cup of warm water, and consume every 2 hours. This will provide relief from cough.
3. Onion Cough Syrup: Try this natural cough syrup made from onion juice as this is one of the beneficial home remedies for cough. To make onion cough syrup, combine raw onion juice with honey. Let the mixture sit for 4 to 5 hours. Take this cough syrup 2 times daily. Both the ingredients works as a natural expectorant and cures cough.
4. Honey-Pineapple Cough Syrup: Natural ingredients such as honey and pineapple are often used to create natural cough syrups, because they help to boost your immune system and help soothe your throat. For making this natural cough syrup, take ¼ cup of pineapple juice1, 1 cup of manuka honey, ¼ cup of water. Combine all three ingredients in a jar and shake the mixture for several minutes and store it in the refrigerator. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons of this cough syrup when you are feeling ill.
5. Holy Basil Cough Syrup: Make a natural cough syrup using holy basil leaves and honey, and consume this regularly until the cough persists. This also helps in relieving itchy throat.
6. Black Pepper and honey: Black pepper can be mixed with honey and drink to cure coughing. Black Pepper and honey helps in loosening mucus, which promotes the removal of irritating substances off the trachea.
7. Lemon and Black Pepper: Fill up a cut lemon with powder of black pepper and salt and suck it to cure coughing. This is one of the simplest home remedies for cough.
8. Turmeric: The root of the turmeric plant is valuable in a dry cough. The root must he roasted and powdered. This powder should be taken in 3 gram doses twice daily in the morning and evening to cure dry cough. Turmeric powder serves as an antiseptic for the throat and relieves the cough symptoms.
9. Aniseeds: Prepare a tea with aniseed and drink it several times daily for loosening mucous and relieving a dry cough. This is an instant remedy for cough.
10. Almonds: Soak about seven almonds in water and keep them overnight. Peel off the brown skin and grind them and add 20 grams each of butter and sugar to form a paste. Taking this paste several times a day helps to cure dry coughs.
11. Garlic: Boil 3 to 4 cloves of garlic in a cup of water and drink it. This is one of the effective home remedies for cough. You can also use garlic and honey mixture to cure coughing. Take 3 cloves of crushed garlic and add 2 teaspoons of honey. Let the mixture sit overnight and consume 1 teaspoon of this honey and garlic mixture twice daily.
12. Gargling: Gargles are always effective for easing dry cough. Doing gargles with salt water helps in clearing phlegm, relieving a sore throat. Gargling with warm spinach juice is also helpful in providing dry cough relief.
Drinking plenty of fluids is one of the best home remedies for cough, regardless of the cause. Fluids will help loosen sputum and cure coughing. It is also important to avoid foods that lead to extra mucus production such as meat, dairy products, and fried foods. Cold drinks and ice creams should also be avoided.
When you have a cough that is not associated with a serious ailment, you can actually try these home remedies along with the proper diet to get some relief. Cough home remedies can effectively cure coughing almost instantly without any side effects.