Tumi vs Swiss Gear vs Everki: Luggage Brands Reviewed
Buying luggage can be an expensive purchase and you hope your luggage will last for many trips and for many years. Today, there is more than just buying luggage for clothing, there is also luggage and carrying cases for laptops and computer accessories.
Tumi was founded in 1975 by Charlie Clifford when he first started selling leather bags that were made in South America. As styles changed through the decades, he listened to his customers and changed his luggage and bags to suit their needs.
Charlie Clifford has since sold Tumi and they are now Tumi Holdings, Inc. Tumi is listed on the New York Stock Exchange with the symbol of TUMI. Today Tumi distributes its products in more than 70 countries through 1,700 distribution points. Tumi sells its products through 114 retail stores. Their headquarters are located in Plainfield, New Jersey. You can also call them at 1-800-299-TUMI (8864).
Tumi Luggage Products
Tumi sells many styles and types of luggage and bags.
- Business includes business cases, backpacks, totes and messengers.
- Travel includes carry-on luggage, large wheeled luggage, garment bags, satchels and totes.
- Everyday bags like gym bags, duffel bags and weekenders.
Tumi has different luggage collections such as Alpha, Alpha Bravo, Tegra Lite and Arrive. You can also search for Tumi luggage and bags that are made with certain features like:
- Antibacterial lining
- Add-A-Bag luggage
- Suitor section
- Shoe pocket
- Removable shoulder strap
You can also have Tumi monogram your luggage. You can currently get monogramming on their travel and business designs from the Alpha and Alpha Bravo collections and wallets. Once a product is monogrammed, it cannot be returned or exchanged.
Tumi Luggage Features
Tumi has some nice additional features with many of their luggage and bag products.
- Omega Closure System. Their patented system reduces the risk of damage to the zipper. If the zipper becomes caught, the Omega zipper puller is designed to break away from the bag. The puller instead of the entire zipper can then be easily repaired.
- Add-A-Bag system allows you to easily add another travel piece using their patented Add-a-bag hook.
- Tumi Tracer is a complimentary program that helps reunited Tumi customers with their lost luggage or bags.
- Tumi FXT is their exclusive ballistic fabric which is a combination of a unique weave and special coating making their luggage and bags tough and almost abrasion proof.
- Telescoping handles are made of aircraft grade aluminum which makes them lightweight and sturdy.
- Easy glide wheels use sealed steel ball bearings on solid steel axles in their customer designed, shock-absorbing bushings.
Tumi Luggage Prices
When you look at each piece of luggage that Tumi sells on their website, you can also read customer reviews for each piece. Customer reviews are listed as verified buyer or verified reviewer. This helps when reading actual reviews from customers that have purchased and used Tumi luggage products.
Here are a few of Tumi's best selling luggage products with current prices and customer reviews.
- Their best selling item is the Kingsville deluxe brief pack from their Alpha-Bravo Collection and costs $395. This brief pack comes in Baltic blue, hickory and spruce.
Tumi Kingsville Deluxe Brief Pack
- Alpha Collection Continental carry-on costs $595 and comes in black only.
- Tegra-Lite Collection extended trip packing case costs $895 and comes in indigo, carbon, Bordeaux, t-graphite and white.
- Alpha Collection long wheeled garment bag costs $945 and comes black.
- Alpha Collection 4-wheeled expandable fortnight trip costs $995 and comes in black.
- Alpha Collection large wheeled split duffel bag costs $695 and comes in black.
- Alpha Collection lightweight medium trip packing case is one of their top rated items and costs $745. This case comes in Baltic, black and espresso.
- Alpha Collection Frequent Traveler zippered expandable carry-on costs $595 and comes in black.
Tumi Alpha Collection Frequent Traveler
Tumi Customer Comments
- Overall satisfaction rating of 8.9 out of 10.
- Would shop here again: 9.0 out of 10.
- Likelihood to recommend: 9.2 out of 10.
- Product selection: 8.8 out of 10.
- Price relative to other online stores: 7.8 out of 10.
- Return process: 8.7 out of 10.
Tumi customers were pleased with Tumi luggage and products with the main complaint being confusion over which products could be monogrammed. Otherwise, Tumi customers were satisfied with their purchases as you can see from the following comments.
- "I love Tumi products, especially the wallets. My Tumi wallet has endured 10 years of use and I'm finally getting another one. I even have an over 10-year-old Tumi T2 backpack that is still in excellent condition. I guess what I'm saying is that Tumi products are the highest quality of their kind based on my experience using them."
- "I didn't have much interested in Tumi before. But I started looking for light, practical but sophisticated design bag to go shopping and have a walk with my kids. And I could find the perfect one at Tumi on-line site. Luckily, it was also on sale. I am very satisfied with this shopping!"
- "I have been a huge Tumi fan since 1975...and the site is fabulous, easy to find what you are looking for and the products last and last and last....my go-to for graduation and special office gifts as well as travel."
Tumi Shipping Costs
Tumi offers standard ground, second day and overnight shipping options. Shipping rates are dependant on the total amount of the order. Within the United States, standard ground shipping costs are:
- $0 to $150 total order amount costs $5 shipping.
- $150 and up has a shipping cost of $15.
Tumi also ships to Canada with a shipping rate of $40 for all orders.
If your Tumi product is damaged within the first year of ownership, they will pay for all repair costs including shipping to and from their repair facility. It does not matter if the damage is from normal wear and tear, airlines or other transit reasons, they will repair it with limited exceptions.
From the second through the fifth year, Tumi will repair any problems that are due to defects in material or workmanship.
Swiss Gear luggage by Wenger. Wenger might be best known for their Swiss army knives, but they sell many other products. Eight years ago, the Swiss company, Victorinox bought Wenger. You can buy Wenger products in more than 135 markets around the world. Wenger's headquarters are in Delemont, Switzerland.
Wenger Swiss Gear Luggage
Wenger Swiss Gear sells backpacks, laptop cases and luggage. Their luggage and bags includes:
- Wheeled trolley
- Rolling luggage
- Wheeled suitcases
- Computer sleeves
- Wheeled computer cases
- Computer cases
Wenger Swiss Gear Luggage Features
Wenger Swiss Gear luggage has nice features on many of their luggage products. You can click on several of their products and then compare the features of each product. You will get a side-by-side comparison of the features of each piece of luggage you compare.
Each of their product descriptions lists their specifications, which can include:
- Lightweight aluminum telescoping handle
- Lightweight carry handle
- Special weave and back panel
- ID tag
- TSA lock
- Edge protection
- Removable wet bag
- Zippered mesh pocket
- Compartment that expands for extra packing capacity
- Rope zipper pulls
- Integrated shoe pocket
- Outboard wheel system for easy handling
- Organizer pocket provides several divider pockets
- Four 360 degree spinning wheels
- Polycarbonate laminate shells on the top and bottom for resistance against impact
Wenger Rolling Case
Wenger Luggage Prices
Listed are a few of their luggage prices.
- Terrain Crossing Collection 25” rolling upright costs $179.99 and comes in grey/black with lime green trim.
- Terrain Crossing Collection 24” duffle costs $59.99 and comes in grey/black with lime green lime.
- Neolite 24" upright grey costs $360 and comes in grey.
- Sierre 30" Rolling Trolley Duffle costs $149.99 and comes in red with black.
- Neolite 29" upright black costs $380 and comes in black.
- Maxxum 16" computer backpack weighs 1 lb and 63 oz and will hold a 16" monitor. The cost is $79.99.
- Legacy 16" ultra slim computer case weighs 1 lb 34 oz and will hold a 16" monitor. The cost is $59.99.
Wenger Ultra-Slim Legacy Case
Wenger Swiss Gear Customer Comments
The Wenger website does not have customer comments with their products. You can find many customer comments on websites that also sell the Swiss Gear products. Customers have mainly positive comments regarding Wenger and Swiss Gear luggage and backpack products. The following customer comments are from Amazon.com about the Wenger Swiss Gear Patriot rolling case.
- "Case is very well made, and includes a pull-out briefcase with its own handle. This case accommodates a 15.4 inch laptop, and the entire briefcase nests in the rolling case. If you remove the briefcase, that space becomes a holder for a 17" laptop. strong handles and an easy roller, with a large back pocket that opens at 90 degrees -- perfect for a short business trip's worth of clothes."
- "It's compact enough to slide under the airline seat. Computer easily removable when going through security checks. Also lots of room of extras such as snacks, reading material, etc."
- "My husband had been looking for a wheeled bag that would accommodate his computer but also serve as a travel bag for his long distance business trips. This would have cost hundreds of dollars with all the options in another bag. It is sturdy, compact, and practical. Wheels are smooth rolling and the handle is stable. What more can I say? It goes through airport security without question."
Wenger Maxxum 16" Computer Backpack
Wenger Swiss Gear Shipping Costs
Shipping costs are calculated at the checkout.
Wenger Swiss Gear Refund Policy and Warranty
All sales are final. Wenger will only replace defective products within 7 business days of receipt. The only warranty information they mention is about the watches they sell.
Everki was founded in 2009 and is a privately held company. Everki luggage and bags can be purchased on their website or at many retail outlets like Amazon, OfficeMax, MicroCenter, NewEgg.com and others.
Everki Luggage and Carrying Case Products
Everki sells many sizes of luggage, backpacks and laptop cases. Each of their products has an introductory video describing the product.
- 18.4 inch Laptop bags
- Checkpoint friendly laptop cases and briefcases
- Messenger bags
- Camera bags
Everki 18 inch Laptop Bag
Everki Luggage and Case Features
Everki products all have the following quality features:
- Leather handles
- Large zippers and metal pulls
- Made from water-resistance materials
- Ergonomic straps and back padding
Everki Carrying Case and Luggage Prices
Prices at Everki are easy to remember, every laptop bag, briefcase and carrying case I looked at cost the same price, $109.99. Listed below are a few of the products they carry.
- Flight checkpoint friendly laptop bag – briefcase, fits up to 16” laptop weighs 2.38 pounds (1.08 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Titan checkpoint friendly laptop backpack fits up to 18.4" and weighs 4.42 pounds (2.01 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Glide laptop backpack, fits up to 17.3”, weighs 2.43 pounds (1.10 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Tempo Ultrabook/MacBook air bag - briefcase, fits up to 13.3”, weighs 2.71 pounds (1.23 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Track laptop messenger bag, fits up to 15.6”, weighs 1.98 pounds (0.9 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Commute 18.4" laptop sleeve w/memory foam, weighs 1.34 pounds (0.61 kg) and costs $109.99.
- Aperture mid-size SLR camera bag costs $109.99.
Everki Shipping Costs
Everki offers free U.S. ground shipping for orders over $75, otherwise shipping is $15 within the U.S. Everki also has the following shipping rates.
- FedEx 2 business day costs $45.
- Alaska and Hawaii costs $25.
- APO/FPO addresses shipping cost are $40.
Everki also offers free shipping for orders over $75 to several other countries including Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Taiwan.
Everki's Checkpoint Friendly Feature / YouTube
Everki Refund Policy and Warranty
If you are not satisfied with your product, you can return it to Everki for a full refund minus any shipping charges. All returns must be in brand new condition with the tags still attached. You must contact the company before returning any product using their contact page.
Everki warranty warrants to the original owner, their products against defects in material and workmanship. Everki will repair or replace the product free of charge. All of their products state this is a limited lifetime warranty.