Trivia for Mads Mikkelsen the Danish Star of A Royal Affair and After The Wedding
Mads Mikkelsen photo by nerdbastards.com
1) Internationally popular Danish actor Mads Mikkelsen was born in Copenhangen, Denmark in 1965.
2) He stands at 6' (1.83 m.)
3) He speaks Swedish, German, English, Russian and French. He speaks Russian and French in the drama/romance film Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky, as he plays a Russian character who is later exiled to France. Mikkelsen says that he learned languages, like many other Scandinavians, through watching lots of movies in those languages.
As for Swedish, he learned it when he lived in Sweden for a while.
4) He played in several movies that contained characters speaking in different languages. For instance, in the 2007 Best Foreign Film Oscar nomines After the Wedding, where he plays the lead, he speaks in Indian and English (as he is teaching it) to Indian kids, English to the Indian manager of the orphanage and Danish to Danish characters he meets in Denmark throughout the majority of the film.
5) He has been married to actress/casting director Hanne Jacobsen since 1987 and they have two kids together.
6) He often works with Danish director/screenwriter Susanne Bier (writer of the original version of the drama Brothers starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman) and screenwriter/director Anders Thomas Jensen. Projects Mikkelsen and Jensen worked together include Elsker dig for evigt, Efter brylluppet (After The Wedding) and Blinkende lygter.
7) In 2012, he starred in the critically acclaimed romance/drama/period movie A Royal Affair.
Image via distribution.metrodomegroup.com
8) He is best known for his role in the Pusher series, After the Wedding, A Royal Affair (En kongelig affære), Valhalla Rising, Clash of the Titans and his role as the James Bond villain in the 2006 Bond installment Casino Royale.
9) He is set to star in the new NBC series Hannibal as Hannibal Lecter, opposite English actor Hugh Dancy who will be playing the FBI agent. Dancy and Mikkelsen also worked together in the movie King Arthur starring Clive Owen and Keira Knightley.
10) He is known for the diversity of his roles.
11) Mads Mikkelsen has been voted the sexiest man in Denmark several times - a title he is not unhappy about. In fact he said that he’d rather be voted as the sexiest man in Denmark as opposed to being voted the ugliest.
12) He has been appearing on the screen since 1996.
13) Mikkelsen has also appeared in short films and TV series.
14) He was supposed to be the villain of Thor 2, but opted for t he lead role in Hannibal series instead.
15) Some of his co-stars are Christopher Eccleston, Gérard Depardiue (I am Dina), Eva Green, Judi Dench, Daniel Craig ( Casino Royale), Hugh Dancy (Hannibal, King Arthur), Alexander Skarsgard (Exit), Clive Owen, Keira Knightley, Ray Winstone, Ioan Gruffudd, Stellan Skarsgård (King Arthur), Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes and Sam Worthington (Clash Of The Titans.)
16) He worked with both famous Swedish father and son actors Stellan Skarsgård and Alexander Skarsgård but in different films.
17) He has won several awards for his acting (best actor) including Cannes Film Festival (for the movie Jagten), and Palm Springs International Film Festival (Efter brylluppet.)
18) In 2012, in addition to A Royal Affair, he also starred in Jagten (The Hunt) where he played a kindergarten teacher falsely accused of molesting a child and had to witness his life go to hell.
19) He often plays characters who either cheat or has cheated on their significant other (Efter brylluppet, Elsker deg for evigt, Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky), or has been “the other guy” and help the woman cheat (Elsker deg for evigt, A Royal Affair.)