Toxic Black Mold

Knoji reviews products and up-and-coming brands we think you'll love. In certain cases, we may receive a commission from brands mentioned in our guides. Learn more.
Black mold is a type of mold that is toxic. It can make you sick. It will grow inside your home where there are high levels of moisture. Bleach can temporarily kill black mold but the cleaning process can make you sick too. It is best to fix the moisture

Mold itself can cause a whole lot of health problems. Allergies, asthma, and bronchitis are just a few. Black mold is much worse. Black mold is actually toxic. It causes sinus infections, headaches, fatigue, sore throat, and other flu like symptoms. If the person who is exposed to the black mold is allergic to other types of molds the reactions can be severe, even life threatening.

Black mold truly is not something to mess with. It is not something you want growing in your home. It is dangerous. Your home should be inspected regularly for the existence of black mold. Doing an inspection with a flashlight is the best way to catch the problem before it starts. Leaking or sweating pipes are a common problem that creates black mold. Under cabinets moisture will not dry. It instead will remain. As the moisture lingers the wood surfaces it is on begin to rot. Part of the rotting process is black mold.

Black mold is most often found in the kitchen and bathroom. Check under bathroom cabinets to see if black mold is present. Use a flashlight so you can see well because these areas are generally pretty dark. Check around the bottom of the toilet, and the wall behind the toilet. For sweating pipes or a sweating toilet consider installing a ventilation fan. It will suck all of the moisture out of the bathroom and should take care of the sweating problem.

For leaking pipes turn off the water to the leaking pipe. Cut out the bad part of the pipe then install new using joints and new PVC pipe. Be sure to sand both the inside and outside of each of the ends and wipe them clean before applying primer and glue. Sand using fine grit to remove any burrs or threads created from cutting the pipes. Do this to ensure the glue will hold well and your pipes will not blow apart when you turn the water back on.

In the kitchen Check around and under the sink to ensure there is no water leaking from the sink or faucet. If there is it could be because the seal around your sink and faucet needs to be replaced. A leaking faucet could be the problem too. If either one of the handles, or the sprayer, of the faucet are dripping the faucet and sprayer should be replaced. Once the leaks have been fixed the only thing left to do is to remove and replace any surfaces that have black mold on them. If there are none you are lucky and caught the problem early. Use fans and dehumidifiers to dry the areas out completely and you shouldn’t have any future problems.

If there is black mold on sheetrock use a pry bar and cordless drill to remove the old sheetrock. Bag it up and discard it. Remove all screws from every stud and cut a new piece of sheetrock to size. Install the new sheetrock with sheetrock screws and a cordless drill. Mud and finish and so long as the moisture problem has been fixed there will be no more black mold.

2 comments

Samantha Thompson
0
Posted on Apr 23, 2012
john doe
0
Posted on Apr 23, 2012