Top 10 Health Benefits of Lime
The lime is the most widely used fruit amongst the family of citrus and is also the smallest. It comes from Southeast Asia. Today it is cultivated in many tropical countries such as Florida, Brazil, Mexico and Egypt.
The following are the benefits of lime for good health:
1. The lime is a small citrus fruit, like a small orange, with skin and flesh that are green in color. The pulp of the lime taste sour, and the fruit contains twice the amount of juice as the yellow, larger lemon. The juice, as a drink, makes one of the best thirst-quenchers. The acid content of lime is known to slow down the oxidation of fresh-cut fruits and vegetables, thus preventing discoloration and acting as a preservative.
2. Lime contains by far more vitamin C than the lemon. A glass of warm water with lime juice and a teaspoonful of honey is an ideal remedy for cold and dry cough.
3. Lime juice is a pep-up in cases of listlessness and a rundown feeling due to vitamin deficiency. The pectin content in fruit pulp is said to be beneficial in lowering blood cholesterol.
4. The vitamin C content in lime increases the body's resistance to disease, aids the healing of wounds and prevents damage to the eyes. It is also helpful in maintaining the health of the teeth and other bones of the body. It prevents decay and loosening of the teeth, dental caries, toothache, bleeding of the gums and fragility of bones.
5. The rind of the fruit contains a volatile oil which is used in medicine for improving digestion and removing wind. It is considered highly beneficial in the treatment of digestive disorders.
6. The lime juice is of great value in constipation, when it is taken first thing in the morning in a glass of warm water.
7. The citric acid in limes has an alkaline reaction in the system which can relieve peptic ulcers.
8. Few drops of warm lime-juice diluted with water should be instilled in the eyes in case of conjunctivitis. Its regular use with pure rose water in the ratio of 1:4 is helpful in preventing old-age cataract.
9. Lime juice diluted in warm water was proven valuable in cystitis. It gives relief to burning sensation and also stops bleeding in cystitis. It's also excellent for weight reduction. Fresh juice' of a lime mixed in a glassful of water and sweetened with honey should be taken every morning on empty stomach in case of obesity.
10. Lime contains limonene; this phytochemical are potent detoxifiers with anti-biotic effect that is protective against bacterial poisoning. Lemon peels when rub on dry or scaly skin can restore softness and add moisture to the skin.