The Procedures for Using the Desoldering Pump
Using the Desoldering pump the right way is equally important as using the soldering pump. The desoldering pump helps to desolder the PCB or anyother gadget board the correct way preventing the short circuits and internal damage of the PCB. So the article below discusses in details the procedures for using the Desoldering Pump.
PROCEDURE FOR USING THE DESOLDERING PUMP
• Hold the "desoldering pump" in your palm with its tip facing the PCB
• Depress the shaft of 'desoldering pump' till it stays in the locked position.
• Place the tip of the "desoldering pump" right on the spot to be desoldered with your thumb on the release button.
• Melt the solder connection thoroughly with a hot soldering iron.
• As soon as the solder melts completely, remove the soldering iron and depress the release button of the "soldering pump" immediately. You should have a perfectly desoldered point.
A Good Solder Connection :
• When you heat the lead and the circuit board foil at the same time, the solder will flow evenly onto the lead and the foil. The solder will make a good electrical connection between the lead and the foil.
A Poor Solder Connections :
• When the lead is not heated sufficiently, the solder will not flow onto the lead as shown above. To correct, reheat the connection and, if necessary a small amount of additional solder to obtain a good connection.
• When the foil is not heated adequately the solder will globule on the circuit board. To correct, reheat the connection and, if necessary, apply a small amount of additional solder to obtain a good connection.
Circuit Board Parts Mounting
Make sure the leads of the capacitors, resistors etc. are straight. Bent leads should be straightened with pliers and cleaned with a blade. Mount each part in its right place. Parts should be mounted tightly against the circuit board. The leads of each part should be inserted through the correct holes on the board and then bent a little outwards on the copper foil side of the board as shown to hold the part
in the place. After a group of parts have been installed, solder each lead on the foil and clip off excess lengths close to the board.