The Causes of Urinary Tract Infections And How To Treat A Urinary Tract Infection Using Natural Cures
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are a common phenomena especially for women but it can also affect men.
Urinary tract infections start in the urinary system. The urinary system includes the kidney, ureters, bladder and the urethra. Ureters are the tubes that carry the urine from the kidney to the bladder. The urethra is the tube that carries the urine out of the body. When you get UTI, the bacteria enters the opening of the urethra and multiplies in the urinary tract. This causes the infection. UTI's are the second most common infection of the human body. Urinary tract infections can be very painful. It can even lead to serious health problem if it is not cured in the early stages because the infection can spread to your kidneys.
Women are known to be more susceptible to UTI because of the following causes:
The anatomy of the women is one of the causes of urinary tract infection. Women have shorter urethra which also has close proximity to the vagina and the anal region. The bacteria which are responsible for UTI and bladder infections are commonly present in the vaginal and anal regions.
One of the causes of urinary tract infection is contraception. Women who use diaphragms as their contraceptive method are more susceptible to UTI. This is because the spermicide being used with the diaphragm suppresses the normal good vaginal bacteria. This results to upsetting the balance and allowing the harmful bacteria to grow.
Pregnancy can also be one of the causes of urinary tract infection among women. This is because pregnancy can interfere with the emptying of the bladder during urination. This can lead to the development of cystitis. Cystitis is one form of UTI.
Women who have already gone through menopause are also susceptible to UTI as an effect of a decrease in the production of estrogen. The reduction of estrogen in women causes the thinning of the vaginal and vulvar tissues which are found in the urethra.
• Sexual Activity
Sexual intercourse may be one of the causes of urinary tract infection because of the motion in the act. Sexual contact enables the bacteria to travel to the urethra until it reaches the bladder.
There are also other causes of urinary tract infection which are applicable to both women and men. Among these causes of urinary tract infection are listed below.
• Advanced aged or old age (especially susceptible are elderly people in nursing homes
• Urinary catheter that is inserted into your urinary tract
• Urinary retention or problems in emptying the bladder because of brain or nerve disorder
• Kidney stones
• Holding back the urge to urinate which weakens the bladder making it difficult to empty itself during urination
The common symptoms that will tell you that you have UTI are given below.
• Frequent need to urinate even if the bladder has just been emptied
• Passing small quantities of urine
• Burning, painful feeling when urinating
• Urine looks cloudy, milky, or red
• Low fever although not everyone will experience it
• Pressure or cramping in the lower abdomen (usually middle) or back
How to treat urinary infection when detected at an early stage is very easy. Natural cures for urinary tract infection are abundant and readily available everywhere. Here are some of them.
- Water is one of the cheapest and easiest among the natural cures for urinary tract infection. Drinking plenty of water or fluids allows your system to have a good flow of urine. Water is a natural cure for urinary tract infection because it cleans your body by diluting and flushing out unwanted substances and bacteria.
• Unsweetened cranberry juice is also one of the most effective in the list of natural cures for urinary tract infection. Studies have shown that the proanthocyanins in cranberry juice prevent the bacteria from clinging to the walls of the urinary tract. Because of this, the urine can wash away the bacteria.
• Fresh coconut juice or coconut water from unripe coconut has been used as one of the oldest among the natural cures for UTI. Coconut water is the purest liquid second to water. It contains monolaurin. Monolaurin is an antiviral, antibacterial and antiprozoal monoglyceride. This makes drinking plenty of fresh coconut water is an effective natural cure for UTI.
UTI is easy to cure as long as you do something about it as soon as you feel any symptoms for it. The natural cures for urinary tract infection are easy to find and are almost always effective. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor if relief is not felt within a few days. The infection should also be treated with professional medical attention in recurring cases of UTI.