Sorel vs LL Bean Vs UGG: Boots Compared
Not all boots are created equal, and each boot brand is often effective at a particular situation. Some are better for style, some for cost, and others for durability or extra features. Here are a few popular boots companies and a comparison between them in terms of where each excels.
Sorrel has a lot of heavy duty boots for harsh conditions. You can contact them at 888-MY-SORREL during regular PST business hours.
- Frequent Free Shipping Deals-You can often get free shipping if you order enough at once. For example, you can get free shipping if you order $100 during some deals. These are often time-sensitive though.
- Physical Locations-Hit the “find a store” button at the bottom of the page to get to a page where you can easily find a store with the Sorel boots near you. There are a number of stores carrying Sorrel boots and chances are good one of them will be near you. Examples include Sports Authority, Eastern Mountain Sports, and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- ThermoPlus Inner Boot-Many of the winter boots such as the Caribou have an extra removable part in the inner boot called “ThermoPlus” which adds extra warmth.
- Unique Review Filters-When you’re in the review section for a product, you can filter reviews based on both star rating and “footwear attitude” which includes monikers like “function over fashion” and “trendsetter” to get a sense for how people view the boot.
- Nubuck Leather-Some boots, like Caribou line, have Nubuck as part of their makeup. This is usually for the upper side of the boot. It helps to make for velvet-level softness that’s still tough enough for weathered conditions.
L.L. Bean has excellent customer support options and a host of online features to make returns easy such as free shipping and the potential for returns without receipts. They are updating these features all the time as well, such as how they recently added PayPal options for payment. They sell a lot of things that aren’t boots, so there may not be as much of a selection for boots here.
- Free Shipping Forever-L.L. Bean offers free shipping that keeps going no matter what with no minimum.
- L.L. Bean Visa Card-You can get a credit card through L.L. Bean that has no annual fee and an extra 3% on purchases. It has 1% cash back as well and no over fee.
- Norton Secured-Click on the Norton seal to confirm that the SSL is valid up to the current date. This way you can be sure your financial data is safe.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee-You can return your items even if you don’t have the receipt. There are exceptions to this rule, so as the fact that you need to make sure the item is in good condition and recognizable as an original L.L. Bean item.
- Videos for Boots-You can watch videos on each boot page to get a sense of how they’re made and what kind of work and materials goes into their production.
Ugg is definitely aimed at a younger crowd, especially students and those who were formerly just students. It also puts more effort into wearable boot styles for everyday use, rather than the more heavy boots for winter and hiking.
- UGGPure Fabric-This is a wool woven backing that’s used instead of sheepskin for foot bed and lining material. It’s soft, durable, and lets people avoid using sheepskin for whatever reason.
- Frequent Seasonal Sales-You often see sales at UGG when the season we’re on ends. This is especially the case when summer season ends and it’s time for back to school in the fall.
- Colorful Styles-You’ll see a lot of colorful styles at UGG, such as the Leighton Desert boot that has sandy coloring patterns.
- 30-Day Returns-You can return your UGG boots to any local retailer within 30 days of purchase. You can also return them through the mail with free shipping sometimes, but this is often a limited offer. Click on “return policy” on the main page and click “Start a Return” to get going on this. It usually takes 5 to 7 days to process returns.
- Warranty- There is a warranty on your boots as long as they aren’t more than a year old. The warranty won’t cover wear and tear or water damage to materials such as sheepskin.
Head to Head
The Caribou Boot from Sorrel is $150 and designed for more winter conditions. It gets high ratings online, especially related to its tread and its waterproofing in wet and snowy conditions. The boot is heavy, however. It comes in three different colors and sizes from 7 to 17.
The Men’s Bean Boots by L.L. Bean at 6 inches is just under $100. It has full grain leather and waterproof rubber.
The Men’s Leighton Boot is definitely more about style than pure functionality. It comes in at $160. The boot is described as a desert boot, and it does have water-resistant suede and UggPure leather-lined insoles.
The contact link for Sorel is at the bottom of the page and it sends you to an email form page. You can call their customer service line at 888-697-6735 during PST business hours.
L.L. Bean has an advantage over Sorrel in that they offer free shipping with no minimum and no ending date. You can always get it shipped for free this way. L.L. Bean also has intuitive support options and lots of them. At the bottom of the page, it’s as simple as click on “Call Me,” “Chat” or “Email” to get the support that you want.
The contact features at UGG appear to be largely through signing in to their account or using social media at first glance, but there actually are more options under the “Help” menu which drops down. It’s a bit confusing, but the contact link is in there. This gives you an email form, a phone number, and a “Leave Us a Message” option for Live Chat. The email form has a 3000 character limit.
Overall, Ugg Australia seems to have the most support options. L.L. Bean has the best options for shipping.