SmartBuyGlasses vs. FramesDirect vs. Coastal.com: Price, Selection, Service, Shipping Compared
SmartBuyGlasses began in Australia in 2006 and is now a worldwide company. They carry 180 brands and more than 80,000 products. SmartBuyGlasses is also partnered with United for Sight that provides glasses all around the world, plus they sponsor 100 cataract surgeries around the world.
SmartBuyGlasses carries every type of glasses and contacts for men, women and children plus all brand names. Customers can search for eye wear in the following categories:
- Sports sunglasses
- Prescription sunglasses
- Contact lenses
SmartBuyGlasses Featured Brands
SmartBuyGlasses carries 180 brands of eyeglasses and sunglasses to choose from. It is easy to search for the brands you are interested in on their website. Customers can search by brands alphabetically, featured brands, top sellers and eyeglass and sunglass shapes. Their featured brands include:
- Tom Ford
- Maui Jim
- Hugo Boss
Customers can also shop by eyeglasses and sunglass styles including:
- Full rim
- Semi rimless
- Asian fit
Their website also has a great search where customers can search by eyeglass shapes like:
- Cat eye
- Single lens
Customers can also search by price range and frame color.
SmartBuyGlasses website offers many great features and perks for their customers that include:
- A good selection of articles concerning eye health, eyeglasses, sunglasses and contacts.
- A 3D virtual try on section. This feature allows customers to use their webcam to upload a picture and then pick eyeglasses and sunglasses to try on to see how they will look on your face.
- Free shipping is offered with all of their eyeglass, sunglass and contact lens products, both domestically and internationally.
- International shipping.
- They offer a 100 day full refund on all of their eyewear products.
- An exclusive 24-Month warranty against all manufacturers' defects without exception on sunglasses, eyeglasses and prescription eyewear.
- A 3-month warranty on contacts.
- SmartBuyGlasses also has a best price guarantee that states if customers find a lower price online within 14 days of your purchase, they will match that lower price.
- They also guarantee the authenticity of all of their eyewear brands and products.
- Students can get a 10% discount on all eyeglasses and sunglasses with orders over $100.
SmartBuyGlasses also has a Buy One Give One program. For every pair of glasses their customers buy, they give a pair of glasses to someone that needs them around the world. To date, SmartBuyGlasses has donated a total of $2,300,000 worth of eyeglasses.
SmartBuyGlasses Customer Comments and Satisfaction
SmartBuyGlasses has excellent customer comments on the internet. TrustPilot.com gives SmartBuyGlasses an excellent rating of 9 out of 10. The main complaint seems to be slow shipping. The company will reply to complaints on the TrustPilot.com website. A few customer comments include:
- “When I ordered my glasses I assumed it was going to take at least 2 weeks to be shipped to me, but to my surprise it arrived in 4 days. I was blown away, such an efficient company. Needs to be more companies like this. If all companies were to exceed the customers expectations more people would shop online. Keep up the great work, I will shop with you again for price, value for money and definitely service.”
- “Keeping it short and simple, they are one of best merchants I have done business with. Will simply do business with them again. Super fast shipping!!!, my frames are amazing, great compliments left to right.”
- “While I was a little uncertain after making this purchase as I received an order acknowledgement that said I would hear about shipment of my order in 3-5 days but then didn't receive any additional notice; I did receive the item just fine and it was exactly what I expected. I was surprised that it was sent from China via international express shipping, and I don't know what the procedure would be if i had to return it, but that was not an issue for me. Quite satisfied!”
Customers can find more great deals and coupons here:
- 7% Off Carrera Designer Sunglasses + Free Shipping at SmartBuyGlasses
- 30% Off Maui Jim Sunglasses with Free Shipping, Free Lens Kit and 24-Month Warranty - Extra 7% off at SmartBuyGlasses
- 10% Off Glasses + Free Shipping, Lens Kit & 24-Month Warranty at SmartBuyGlasses
FramesDirect was founded by two optometrists in 1996 in Houston, Texas. They were one of the first eyeglass stores on the internet. Today, FramesDirect offers the most authentic eyewear brands on the internet, carrying over 200 brands. Most of their eyewear brands are priced as much as 30% off of the manufactured supplier retail price.
Every person that takes your phone call at FramesDirect is an expert optician. In fact, their optical staff has over 300 years of combined experience in the field.
FramesDirect Eyewear Products
FramesDirect carries more than 200 brands of eyeglasses and sunglasses. Customers can easily search their website to find exactly what they are looking for. Customers can shop by the following main eyewear categories:
- Prescription sunglasses
- Contact lenses
In addition to their main eyewear categories, customers can also further filter their search by the following categories:
- Brands listed alphabetically.
- Style includes classic, cool and trendy, hipster, nerdy, retro and vintage, sporty, stylish and unique.
- Frame material like carbon, eco friendly, flexible metal, hypoallergenic, metal, natural material, plastic, plastic and metal, titanium and wood.
- Frame shapes include aviator, cat eye, oval, rectangular, round, rounded edges, square, wayfarer and wrap around.
- Frame type shows full rim, semi rimless, rimless and clip on.
- Frame colors include many colors like beige, blue, burgundy, gold, grey, tortoise, black, brown, clear, silver, gunmetal and other colors.
- Price ranges from under $100 to over $500.
- Sizes can be searched by eye or bridge.
FramesDirect sells over 200 brands of eyeglasses and sunglasses including:
- Ann Taylor
- John Lennon
- Maui Jim
FramesDirect Helpful Information
On FramesDirect, customers can learn all about buying glasses online and more with their helpful pages that include:
- Knowledge Center
- How to Order Glasses Online
- Face Shape Guide
- Glasses Size Guide
- Need Lenses Only?
- Vision Insurance
- FSA and HSA Spending
FramesDirect Customer Perks and Policies
FramesDirect offers their customers many perks and services including:
- Free standard shipping on all eyewear except contacts in the continental United States. They also offer several faster expedited shipping methods.
- Offers international shipping of their products. Customers can simply enter in their country and get the shipping rates.
- Customers can subscribe for their email newsletters and get a 15% discount on their first order.
- They offer a price match guarantee. If a customer finds a lower price on a pair of sunglasses or eyeglasses in the same color and style number for a lower price, FramesDirect will match that price.
- Their website, AFEywear.com offers reduced prices for all eyewear products for military, retired military, veterans, police, firefighters and EMS personnel.
FramesDirect Customer Comments and Satisfaction
FramesDirect has very good customer reviews and comments. TrustPilot.com has given FramesDirect a great rating of 8.9 out of 10. A few customer comments include:
- “I ordered a paid of glasses that were on backorder for near a month. They told within minutes that the frames were on backorder and if I would like to change them or modify my order. I did. During the process, FramesDirect kept in contact with me via email and telephone saying that the order was confirmed, on backorder, order was changed, arrived at their facility to make my lenses and date my glasses would be shipped to me. Great site and company, would definitely order from them again.”
- “This was my first time purchasing eye glasses online. Because I have an extreme prescription, quality is a real issue for me. Happily, I found the lenses to be perfect. The fit was also good although I may have to tweak a nose pad. I bought the same frames and lenses through my optometrist last year, but I paid almost $200 dollars more! No problems using my Benny card either. Overall, 5 star value.”
- “I bought three new pairs of glasses; one from my optician, one from Frames Direct, and one from a different online eyewear company. Frames Direct rocked! The price, quality and turn around time beat the others. I will definitely buy my next glasses from Frames Direct!”
- Save 15% on Off + Free Delivery on Sunglasses at FramesDirect
- 50% Off Off on Lenses & Add-Ons + Free Delivery With the Purchase of an Eyeglass Frame or Prescription Sunglasses at FramesDirect
- Get 50% Off on Lenses & Add-Ons + Free Shipping With the Purchase of an Eyeglass Frame or Prescription Sunglasses at FramesDirect
Beginning in 2000, Coastal.com sells eyeglasses, sunglasses and contacts for men, women and children. Their designers have created a line of exclusive frames that are very popular today that began with their Derek Cardigan designer frames.
Coastal.com Eyewear Brands
In addition to their popular exclusive brands, Coastal.com carries hundreds of popular brands of eyeglasses and sunglasses including:
- Derek Cardigan
- Joseph Marc
- Kam Dhillon
- Michelle Lane
- Bill Blass
- Hugo Boss
- Michael Kors
- True Religion
Coastal.com Customer Perks and Policies
Coastal.com offers the following customer perks and policies:
- Coastal.com frames, eyeglass and sunglass prices range from $35 to $180.
- They offer a contact lens price match guarantee that will match any authorized price for your contact lenses with any of our online competitors. They will also give you an additional 5% off the competitor’s total up to a maximum discount of $300 per order.
- Free shipping anywhere in the United States.
- Free returns; just contact Coastal.com for a return label.
- Complimentary lenses included with every frame. Their premium Standard Air Lens, a thin, lightweight, and impact-resistant polycarbonate.
- Their complimentary standard lens is an impact-resistant polycarbonate that is up to 22% thinner than the base lenses offered by most retailers.
Coastal.com Website Features
Their website also includes a helpful blog with many great articles like How to Read my RX, Insurance and Online Purchases and Eye Health, plus a good FAQ page. Other helpful articles include:
- How to shop for glasses online
- Shop by face shape
- Staff picks for better vision
- Health articles
Coastal.com Customer Comments
Coastal.com has decent customer comments on the internet and most complaints dealt with slow shipping and some problems with progressive lenses being incorrect. A few customer comments for ResellerRatings.com include:
- "I bought progressive lenses from them last year, 11/6/2014, and they made the segment height so high that I had to drive with my head down to see the road in front of me. When I initially called them about this, the representative's response was that they don't customize. I had to explain that these were the same frames that I purchased last year, 2013, and I didn't have that problem. They made this right, but only because my frames were exactly the same from previous year and the segment height was lower. I'd be careful if I purchased glasses with progressive lenses from them."
- "I have ordered my glasses from many online sellers over the years, and I have settled on Coastal.com as my favorite. Their lenses are the best I've found online, and their return process makes it easy to ensure you love your glasses. I ordered my most expensive pair of glasses yet from them in April (Oakleys). Once I received them, I realized that they were much too large for my face, so they sent me a pre-paid shipping label, I sent them back, and they refunded the full purchase price. I've already bought 7 pairs of glasses from Coastal over the past few years, and I'll definitely order from them again with no hesitation."
- "Ordered two pairs of glasses almost two weeks ago. For the whole duration of time after the order, the tracking number said "shipping label created" until today. I ordered two pairs of glasses and they are being shipped in separate packages!!! WHY?! One pair is in Texas, and the other is held up in US customs in Canada...I live in Boston...This is ridiculous."