Powerful Healing Hugs and Healthy Kisses
“If kisses were the water I would give you the sea; if hugs were the leaves I would give you a tree; if love was time I would give you eternity.” – Denny Davis
Among the most common form non-verbal communication or body language, hugs and kisses were the least mentioned, but has the utmost importance. Hugs and kisses in modern language are often expressed by the symbol XOXO which conveys affection or good friendship. But behind the expression that we came to love, research showed that it has great benefits for our physical, mental and emotional health.
How important are hugging and physical and emotional contact for people affected by life - threatening illnesses? According to Mark Katz, M.D., Member of L.A. Shanti's Advisory Board, he found that people who receive nurturing maintain a better outlook on their situation -- and historically, positive attitude is an important factor in long-term survival. Hugging and physical contact makes a difference in a person's frame of mind, and may help their medical condition. Best of all, hugging has no side effects and does not require a trip to the doctor, so he recommends at least one hug a day.
10 Power Benefits From Hugs:
1. Reduces harmful physical effects of stress;
2. Calms deep pressure on children, tantrums, and mellows moodiness;
3. Helps the body’s immune system, cures depression, and induces sleep;
4. It’s invigorating and rejuvenating;
5. Increases heart rate and stabilizes blood pressure;
6. Gives a positive emotional state;
7. Brings out a surge of serotonine and dopamine, which are known as “feel good” brain chemicals.
8. Relieves pain, make you healthier and happier;
9. It helps overcome fear; and
10. It’s a miracle drug (read the story below)
Kissing is a physical expression of deep affection or love between two people. It’s the easiest way to say “I love you!” and keeps the fire burning in a relationship. It expresses endearment, love, passion, affection, and respect, greeting and good luck. Kissing also awards you with good health benefits.
10 Health Benefits of Kissing:
1. Kissing is good for the heart, as it creates an adrenaline which causes your heart to pump more blood around your body.
2. Kissing is a known stress-reliever. Passionate kissing relieves tension, reduces negative energy and produces a sense of well being, lowering your cortisol ‘stress’ hormone.
3. The endorphins produced by kissing are 200 times more powerful than morphine.
4. Kissing uses 30 facial muscles and it helps keep the facial muscles tight, preventing baggy cheeks! The tension in the muscles caused by a passionate kiss helps smooth the skin and increases the circulation.
5. During a kiss, natural antibiotics are secreted in the saliva. Also, the saliva contains a type of anesthetic that helps relieve pain.
6. Kissing reduces anxiety and stops the 'noise' in your mind. It increases the levels of oxytocin, an extremely calming hormone that produces a feeling of peace.
7. Kissing is great for self-esteem. It makes you feel appreciated and helps your state of mind.
8. Those who kiss quite frequently are less likely to suffer from stomach, bladder and blood infections.
9. Those who kiss their partner goodbye each morning live five years longer than those who don’t.
10. Kissing burns calories, 2-3 calories a minute and can double your metabolic rate. Research claims that three passionate kisses a day (at least lasting 20 seconds each) will cause you to loose an entire extra pound!
Hugs and kisses are universal expressions that doesn’t need any explanation. It’s the only body language that gives people a deeper connection with one another. Both makes a lonely person happy; both bonds people in love, shows care and concern, and most importantly, it creates unforgettable memories that you can treasure for a life time. Live a life that’s healthy and full of love, full of hugs and kisses everyday, and don’t forget to say “I love you!”