Philippine Superstitions About Love and Marriage
Superstition is defined as an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear. However, it also reveals what people in a certain place hold dear. It is a defense mechanism to help us cope with the unexplained and the unknown. Superstitions are mostly folk beliefs that are widely based on personal experiences, but could also be based on religions, scientific facts, or mysterious coincidences.
The following are some weird, interesting and outrageous superstitious beliefs of Filipinos when it comes to love and marriage:
- At midnight, with all the lights turned off, look at yourself in the mirror while holding a lighted candle. Within minutes, you would see in the mirror the person that you will marry.
- Exchanging sharp or pointed objects as gifts (like scissors or knives) between sweethearts and lovers would lead to a broken engagement.
- If the wedding ring or the couple's veil is dropped during a wedding ceremony, it means unhappiness for the couple.
- In a wedding ceremony, the groom must arrive at the church before the bride to prevent bad luck.
- Rain during the wedding ceremony means prosperity and happiness for the couple. It may also mean that the couple will have many crybabies.
- So that the husband would not be cruel to the wife and so that both of them would agree on things that they will undertake, a bride must step on the groom's foot during the wedding ceremony.
- Throwing rice at newly-wed couples will bring them good luck and prosperity.
- Removing plates from the dining table while an unmarried person is still eating will keep that person from marrying all the days of his/her life.
- Trying on the wedding dress before the day of the wedding will prevent the wedding from taking place.
- The couple that stands first after the wedding ceremony will die ahead of the other.
- Break something during wedding receptions in order to bring good luck to the newlyweds.
- A bride who cries during the wedding ceremony brings bad luck to the marriage.
- A woman who is widowed during a new moon is most certain to remarry.
- A wife who wears a pearl ring will cause her husband to commit adultery.
- If an unwed girl follows the footprints of a newly-wed couple, that girl will marry soon.
- A pregnant woman will have a baby boy if her abdomen is pointed. If a pregnant woman's abdomen is round, she will have a baby girl.
- If a pregnant woman steps over her husband while he is sleeping, all the unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy would be transferred to the husband.
- The fruits of a tree will turn sour if a pregnant woman eats a fruit from that tree.
- Place a candle underneath the bed of a woman who is about to give birth in order to see witches that are passing by.