Meter Reader Salary & Job RequirementsFitness Equipment
What is a meter reader?
A meter reader is a utility employee who reads consumption meters for the purpose of billing. Meter readers may read gas, electric, and water meters, in addition to inspecting meters and utility boxes to confirm that they are in good condition, and checking for signs of tampering or fraud.
Most meter reader jobs require a high school diploma and a valid driver’s license. Many people start utility careers in this occupation with the goal of advancing to positions with more responsibility.
- Reads electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and records volume used by residential and commercial consumers
- Walks or drives truck over established route and takes readings of meter dials.
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections. Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by servicing department.
- Verifies readings to locate abnormal consumption and records reasons for fluctuations.
- Turns service off for nonpayment of charges in vacant premises, or on for new occupants.
- Collects bills in arrears. Returns route book to business office for billing.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- must talk to others to convey information effectively as part of their job function.
- uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- must select and use the proper training methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things that are job related.
Current and Projected Employment
2008 Employment 45,300
2018 Employment 36,300
Employment Change -9,100
Growth Rate -20%
Jobseekers can expect competition. Although this is a declining occupation, job opportunities are expected to be good because of the need to replace workers leaving the occupation.
Meter reader salary:
|hourly rate||$9.5 to $17.22|
|over time||$16.99 to $27|
|bonus(yearly)||$305 to $1930|
|total pay(annual)||$25,469 to $40,000|