List of Basic Needs for Newborn Babies
There are many things a baby will need in the first few months that you'll need to be prepared for when the baby arrives. However, that doesn't mean you have to runÂ out and buy it all at once. It is best to wait until you are at least three months pregnant before buying babyÂ items in case of any problems with the pregnancy. Also, don't forgetÂ that someone will most likely throw you a baby shower once you have completed a baby registry. Here is a list of basic needs for the newborn baby. Once you have already had a baby shower and know what you have and know what else you need you will then only have to buy what you really need, which will save you money.
Basic needs for newborn baby:
- 2 to 4 packages of newborn disposable or cloth diapers, diaper bag, diaper cream/ointment, baby powder. Cloth diapers, a diaper pail and safety pins can save you a lot of money in the long run and are better for the environment.
- Baby wipes(fragrance free)and baby washcloths
- Burp cloths or extra cloth diapers
- 6 to 8 lightweight gowns/newborn sleeper outfits
- 3 to 4 receiving/swaddling blankets for holding baby, swaddling, changing, bonding and playing with baby.
- Car seat (rear facing infant safety seat)
- 6 pairs of socks or booties, 2 hats, 2 sweaters
- 4 pacifiers
- Baby bathtub, tearless baby shampoo, baby lotion, alcohol swabs (for umbilical cord), baby brush, thermometer, baby soap, 2 to 4 baby towels, nasal aspirator, baby nail clippers
- Bassinet or crib, 4 fitted sheets, 2 waterproof mattress pads, bumper pad for crib, 2 crib blankets
- 2 or 3 nursing bras and pads, breast pump and nipple cream if planning on nursing the baby
- 6 or more baby bottles with nipples, sterilizing equipment, bottle brush, bottle warmer, 6 baby bibs, infant formula if you are not planning to nurse
- Baby stroller
- Soft baby toys, baby mobile and baby monitor
- Optional special outfit to bring your baby home from the hospital in
- Baby clothes in increasing sizes as baby grows