Itchy Skin Causes and Treatments: Home Remedies for Itching and Tips to Prevent Itching
Itching is an uncomfortable skin condition which creates a desire to scratch the affected area. The medical name for itching is pruritus. Itching or itchy skin may or may not be associated with a rash. Itching skin can be really irritating and embarrassing, and can become even worse if you keep scratching the itchy area. Itching can be controlled to a great extent by using simple home remedies.
Causes of Itching
The causes of itching may be listed as follows:
Insect bites and stings
Exposure or contact with chemicals
Over-exposure to hot water
Allergic reaction to certain foods, detergents, medicines or plants
Infestation of parasites like scabies, pinworms, pubic or head lice etc
Fungal infection such as swimmer’s itch, jock itch, anal yeast infection, vaginal yeast infection, etc
Skin disorders such as urticaria, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, pityriasis rosea
Ailments like cholestasis, kidney problem, hyperthyroidism, lymphoma, polycythemia vera etc
Home Remedies for Itching
Although itchiness can be quite irritating, it is a common occurrence and does not usually indicate a serious illness in most cases. It is possible to get rid of itchy skin with home remedies. You can try the following home remedies and natural treatments for itching.
1. Lemon has natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which can soothe itchy skin. You can also lessen your chances of infection by applying lemon juice directly to the itching areas.
2. Try using mint poultice for itch and rash because mint has a cooling effect, which relieves the pain and itching.
3. Mix together corn flour and apple cider vinegar to make a thick paste. Apply it on the itchy areas with gentle rubbing. Allow the paste to dry and then wash off using warm water. This simple remedy will help reduce your itching.
4. Aloe vera is one of the useful herbal remedy for itching. You can use aloe vera gel to the itchy areas to get rid of itchy skin.
5. Apply curd topically on affected areas to stop itching. Keep for some time and then wash off.
6. Crush a few cloves of fresh garlic and rub it on the affected area to reduce itching.
7. Honey and cinnamon powder can be used as a remedy for itching. Mix equal amounts of honey and cinnamon powder and apply it to the affected areas to get rid of itchy skin.
8. Tea tree oil is a good home remedy for itchiness caused by dry skin. Tea tree oil has natural antiviral, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that helps to stop itching.
9. Vitamin E oil can be applied to the affected skin or a Vitamin E capsule can be broken and directly applied on the itchy skin.
10. Mash some tamarind to a pulp in water. Apply this pulp on the over the itchy skin. This is one of the useful home remedies for itching.
11. Grind banana pulp in lemon juice and apply on the affected area helps to cure itching.
12. Mix lemon juice in equal parts of linseed oil and apply on the affected part. This home treatment is very easy and works well for treating almost all types of itching.
13. A cold compress is another natural itchy skin treatment you can try. Cold compress will give you an instant relief from the itching and cool down the skin.
14. Put 2 cups of oatmeal in a tub of lukewarm water and soak yourself for 40 minutes. This is an effective home remedy for itching.
15. You may apply cod liver oil to the itchy area. Cod liver oil helps to reduce the itching sensation by moisturizing the affected skin.
16. For itching over a large area, peppermint bath proves to be effective. You can bath with adding 2 to 3 drops of peppermint oil in the bathing water.
17. Make a paste out of baking soda and water, and apply on itchy areas of your skin. It will help to relieve the itch.
18. Apply a few drops of lavender essential oil topically on the affected areas of the skin to soothe itching, stinging, and discomfort.
19. Mix 2 spoons of coconut oil with 1 spoon tomato juice and massage this on the itchy skin. The itchiness will fade away.
20. Coconut oil mixed with small quantity of lemon juice, applied on the affected area also helps to reduce itching.
21. Petroleum jelly is another good remedy in localized itching. Apply a thick layer of petroleum jelly to the itchy skin and then dust with baby powder.
22. You may grind guava leaves with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder into a smooth paste and apply it on the affected parts.
23. Application of Margosa oil on itchy skin is a helpful itch treatment.
24. Massaging the itchy areas with the holy basil juice also helps to ease itching.
25. Turmeric powder applied on the affected area cures itching.
26. Chamomile essential oil is soothing and anti-inflammatory. This can be used to treat itchy skin
27. Papaya seeds mashed and applied on areas of the itch help cure itching.
28. Use talc which contains zinc to cure itching as it is anti-bacterial.
29. To get rid of itchy skin, apply rose water in vinegar to the affected areas of the skin.
30. Topical application of sea salt is also effective for reducing itching and skin inflammation.
Tips to Prevent Itching
It is best to bath in lukewarm water instead of hot water to prevent itching.
Soap can be drying to the skin, so use a mild, gentle cleanser.
After bathing, you should always gently pat your skin try with a soft towel, so that some moisture remains.
Apply lotion/cream right after bathing while your skin is still moist. A natural moisturizer is always best.
To prevent itching, choose clothing made of soft fabrics like cotton or silk.
Avoid harsh or cheap cosmetics to prevent itching.
Dry skin can cause itchy scaly skin. Keeping your skin well moisturized should improve dry skin.
Avoid scratching or rubbing the itchy skin. Broken skin can lead to infection.
These are simple and effective home remedies and natural treatments for itching. Itching that is not due to any medical conditions can be relieved to a great extent by using these home remedies.