Is Cauliflower Good For Me And What Are The Nutritional Facts Of It?
Cauliflower belongs to the Brassica Oleracea species of vegetables. This species also includes broccoli, collard greens, kale, Brussels Sprouts and cabbage. So, it shares lineage with these vegetables. In fact, broccoli and cauliflower are very similar in composition. The origin of cauliflower can be traced back to Northeast Mediterranean region. From there, it spread to various parts of the world and now it's cultivated around the globe. It's a nutritious vegetable with many health benefits. This article is a collection of cauliflower nutrition facts.
Cauliflower Nutritional Value
Before we see the nutritional benefits of cauliflower let us see the nutritional value of 100 gm of raw cauliflower. Its calorific value is 20 Kcal or 100 kJ. Here is cauliflower nutritional information or nutritional breakdown for you.
- Carbohydrates: 5 gm
- Sugars: 2.4 gm
- Fat: 0 gm
- Protein: 2 gm
- Thiamin (Vitamin B1): 0.057 mg
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 0.063 mg
- Niacin (Vitamin B3): 0.53 mg
- Pantothenic acid (B5): 0.65 mg
- Vitamin B6: 0.22 mg
- Folate (Vitamin B9): 57 956;g
- Vitamin C: 46 mg
- Calcium: 22 mg
- Iron: 0.44 mg
- Magnesium: 15 mg
- Phosphorus: 44 mg
- Potassium: 300 mg
- Zinc: 0.28 mg
Important Cauliflower Nutrition Facts
The compilation of nutrition facts of cauliflower given here, is based on years of world wide research. Here are some cauliflower nutrition facts, along with cauliflower nutritional benefits for your perusal.
- The chemical called 'Allicin', present in cauliflower helps in maintaining heart health. It has also been found to reduce the risk of strokes in heart patients.
- The presence of vitamin C and Selenium in cauliflowers help in strengthening the immune system of the body.
- Regular consumption of cauliflower can help in maintaining the cholesterol level of the body.
- Cauliflower is rich in a nutrient called folate. Folate helps in improving cell growth and cell replication mechanism. Overall, it aids tissue growth.
- The high fiber content in cauliflower helps in improving colon health and reduces the possibility of colon cancer.
- Recent research has revealed that cauliflower contains some phytochemicals, which aid in reducing the risk of certain cancers of the hereditary type.
- Cauliflower has been found to be an excellent liver and blood detoxifier. This is because, the thiocyanates and glucosinolates present in cauliflower aid in increasing liver ability of neutralizing potentially toxic substances.
- Cauliflower contains a substance called Sulforaphane, which can effectively remove chemicals that cause cancer in the body! This substance also aids in preventing the spread of cancerous cells, that is metastasis, even in advanced stages of cancer! This chemical is released when you chop or chew cauliflower.
- Very recently, it was found that a chemical called 'indole-3-carbinol', found in cauliflower can effectively prevent the development of breast cancer, because it works as an anti-estrogen agent!
- Consumption of cauliflower regularly can aid patients afflicted with diseases like asthma, arthritis, kidney and bladder disorders, constipation and high blood pressure.
- A regular and high intake of cauliflower reduces the risk of prostrate cancer!
- Cauliflower is an ideal ingredient for a low-carb diet as it does not contain starch.
After going through these cauliflower nutrition facts, I am sure you must have decided to make it a part of your diet, if it is not already! Vegetables like cauliflower, stuffed with so many nutrients and with so many nutritional benefits, again underline the importance of a vegan diet and add one more reason for converting to veganism.