InterContinental Hotels vs Hyatt Hotels vs Hilton: International Hotel Groups Compared
Whether you are planning a weekend trip, exotic adventure, or business trip, one of the biggest decisions you will have to make is deciding where to stay. More importantly, travelers will have to decide which accommodations offers the most for their money. The following consumer report will take an in depth look at InterContinental Hotels Group, the Hyatt, and Hilton hotels. This report will compare and contrast each brand’s business credibility, features, rewards program, pricing and packages, and customer feedback to help travelers decide where to stay on their next vacation.
InterContinental Hotels Group
About InterContinental Hotels Group
InterContinental Hotels Group is a British owned hotel management company which is ranked as the second largest hotel chain which manages 4,600 hotels around the world.
InterContinental Hotels Group manages well known brands such as Holiday Inn Express, Holiday Inn, Crown Plaza, Staybridge Suites, Candlewood Suites, and others. InterContinental Group offers a wide range of proprieties from luxurious boutiques, low cost accommodations to budget motels to suit all budgets.
InterContinental Hotels group was formed in 2003 and its headquarters are based in the United Kingdom. InterContinental Hotels Group is the second largest hotel chain in the world, and manages over 4,600 hotels with 674,000 rooms in 100 countries.
What makes InterContinental Hotels Group stand out from other hotel chains?
- InterContinental Hotels Group is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index and is listed on the London and New York Stock Exchange.
- In 2013, IHG has been recognised as one of the Superbrands in Mexico for 2013-2014 by the Mexican Counsil of Quality.
- InterContinental Hotels Group has ranked third in the prestigious 'Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For' 2013 for the fourth year in a row, also securing the 'Best Improver Award' for jumping 11 places in just one year.
- InterContinental London Westminster has been recognised as the Best New Business Hotel by the 2013 Business Traveller Awards.
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has been recognised as the Best Business Hotel Chain Worldwide by the 2013 Business Traveller Awards.
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has been recognised as the World's Leading Hotel Brand for the fourth year running at the World Travel Awards.
- InterContinental Hotels & Resorts has been recognised as Asia's Leading Hotel and Business Hotel brand as well as, Australasia's leading business hotel brand by the World Travel Awards – Asia & Australasia.
- InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, Thailand won three awards at the World Travel Awards – Asia & Australasia: Asia's Leading Honeymoon Resort, Asia's Leading Luxury Resort and Thailand's Leading Resort.
- InterContinental Sun Peninsula Resort, Vietnam was recognised as Asia's Leading New Resort and Vietnam's Leading New Hotel at the World Travel Awards – Asia & Australasia.
- InterContinental Marseille – Hotel Dieu was recognised as the Best Urban Hotel for 2013 by Wallpaper Magazine
- InterContinental Hotels Group Rewards Club offers
- InterContinental Hotels Group Mobile
- Hotel offers
- Hotel reviews
- Manage reservations
- Groups and Meetings
- Trip Ideas
When you stay at one of InterContinental Hotels Group's 4,600 hotels, you can earn points when you use one of their promotions or services from one of their partners. Since your points never expire, you can save them up for a special occasion. Reward points can be used for Reward Nights, travel, shopping, and more.
With InterContinental Hotels Group's Rewards Club Pointbreaks, you can take advantage of Reward Nights for only 5,000 points per night. This promotion is available at select locations. Other benefits of InterContinental Hotels Group's Rewards include the following:
- No blackout dates
- Points never expire
- Redeem as little as 10,000 to 50,000 points
- Combine points and cash at any IHG hotels and resorts
Pricing and Packages
InterContinental Hotels Group offers rooms of every description from basic, budget rooms to luxury boutique suites. Customers can select from a range of hotel packages with differing rates and price structures, from low cost, budget rooms at the most competitive prices to super, luxury suites which can cost hundreds of dollars per night.
InterContinental Hotels Group's website offers a best online price guarantee and special corporate rates. InterContinental website also regularly advertise their latest deals and discounts. Customers can receive updates on the latest deals and discounts by signing up for e-mail alerts, connecting with InterContinental Hotels Group on Facebook and Twitter, and becoming a member of their rewards program.
Customers can also download the InterContinental Hotels Group mobile app for their Android, Blackberry, or iPhone smartphones. Customers can also download the mobile app for their iPad.
- Save up to 25% off 4+ Nights
- Get 40% Off Late Checkout
- Get Discover Florida for atleast 4 Nights and Save 25% off+ Free Breakfast
- Get Discover Florida - 4 Nights With IHG Properties And Save 25% + Free Breakfast
- Get Book Early And Save Up To 20% Off Your Getaway
- Save up to 20% Off on vacations
What do the customers say?
InterContinental Hotels Group proprieties has received a mix of positive and negative reviews. Customers can visit IHG’s website to read reviews for different hotels. They can type in their destination and search for reviews.
“We chose this hotel AGAIN for the comfort, great views and location, having stayed here for our Silver Wedding anniversary and returned for my wife's 50th Birthday. We asked for the same room (3702) and got it with the help of a wonderful receptionist named Miliha, who was fantastic because anything we asked/wanted she sorted for us.” –Crown Plaza New York
“The only issue I had was a stopped up toilet that was fixed right away. It was ao wonderfully quite on our floor room was nice and clean. I will be visiting again.” –Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown
“This hotel shows its age well, I liked the décor I the lobby. Be it out dated, a deep cleaning would do wonders. The rooms are in need of updating as well. Carpets are really needing replaced. The usual dust bunnies in most corners. And yes one elevator was out of order but we didn't have any congestion, so ?? Hotel restaurant was overpriced and the kitchen must have been on the next block as the food, while tasting fine, was not very warm.”- Holiday Inn, Austin, TX
Hyatt Hotels and Resorts was founded in 1957 by Jay Pritzker. The Hyatt manages, franchises, and owns over 535 properties around the world. Hyatt Hotels and Resorts excel in offering excellent customer service to their guests. Their website gives guests the luxury of reserving rooms in advance and explore opportunities to save money with their travel packages. Hyatt Hotels and Resorts is highly recommended by travel magazines and travel agencies.
Although Hyatt Hotels and Resorts is not accredited by Better Business Bureau, the hotel chain received an A+ rating. Only two complaints were filed and closed within the last three years and no complaints have been reported within the last 12 months. The Hyatt strives to provide top quality service to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Hyatt Gold Passport allows you free nights with no blackout dates at Park Hyatt, Hyatt, Grand Hyatt, Andaz, and Hyatt Regency locations around the world.
- Gold members receive free breakfast
- Gold Passport members also receive four suite upgrades
- Free nights with Hyatt credit card
When customers sign up for the Hyatt Gold Passport, they can enjoy the benefits of free nights and other perks. How does Gold Passport points work?
- Gold Passport members can earn three points per every dollar they spend at any of Hyatt proprieties.
- Members can also earn two points per every dollar spent at resturaunts, airlines, and car rental agencies.
- Gold Passport members can one point for every dollar spent elsewhere.
Pricing and Packages
Pricing at Hyatt Hotels and Resorts will vary depending on a number of factors including the type of room, number of nights you are staying, season, and time of reservation.
- Save 20% On Your Stay At Participating Hyatt Hotels @ Hyatt Hotels and Resorts
- Get Enjoy 15% Off Your Entire Stay At Participating Hyatt Place Hotels For All AAA Members
- Get Make The Most Of Your Business Trip With Free Breakfast, Free Internet Access, And Much More At Park Hyatt Hotels
- Get Free Breakfast For Two At Any Park Hyatt Worldwide And Recieve Up To $150.00 On A Dining Or Spa Credit
What do the customers say?
Like other hotel chains, Hyatt Hotels and Resorts has received a mix of possitive and negative reviews. Each customer experience will vary depending on where they choose to stay.
“My husband and I recently returned home from a stay at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. The resort is just beautiful! The grounds are well maintained. The scenery is awesome, walking around the property will put you in a relaxed mood. My husband and I are planning to visit this resort again when we return to Orlando!” –TripAdvisor
“The staff was very nice and helpful...very close to the Airforce base. I would stay there again...close to restaurants and shopping.”-Orbitz
“I have traveled all over the world for many years and I have never been "taken" for excessive fees until now.
I had a reservation for 3 nightes and had to check out a day early. No problem right?
So what did Hyatt do? They said they would have to charge me an early departure fee. They said the fee is because they could not sell the room for that extra day. I found out they are also at about 60% capasity but the clerk denied that. Their extra "fee" amounted to an entire additional day hotel cost plus state and city taxes. So they charged be for services they did not provide and then discuised it as an early departure fee.”- My Three Cents
The Hilton was founded by Conrad Hilton in 1919. The very first hotel was opened in Cisco, Texas. The hotel chain operates over 540 hotels in 78 countries around the world. The hotel chain offers luxury hotels and resorts and often the perfered place of stay for the rich and famous.
The Hitlon received an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Individual hotels and brands under the Hilton name will have different ratings.
Customers can earn points at any Hilton Hotel and Resorts and with participating partners around the world. Other benefits of Hilton Honors includes:
- Credit Cards- HHonors Points, automatic elite status and other cardmember benefits
- Travel and Transportation- customers can earn points through airline, rail, car rental and cruise partners
- Shopping and Dining- Earn points at your favorite stores and resturaunts.
- You can even turn gift registries, online surveys, and your energy bills into Hhonors points.
Pricing and Packages
Pricing will depend on the type of hotel, selection of room, and the number of nights a guest plans to stay. Rates will depend on the dates a guest chooses to book. Therefore, it is best to make your reservation early in order to get the best rates.
- 35% off any order
- Special rates for dinner, bed, and breakfast packages at participating Hilton worldwide hotels in Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji.
- 5% off the best value rate for AARP members
What do the Customers Say?
Overall, the Hilton has received positive feedback with a mix of negative reviews. Customer experience will vary depending on location.
“When you are travelling alone with three kids you really learn to appreciate non-kids locations that are extra friendly. This hotel, every member of the staff was patient and friendly to my german minimal english speaking children. They gave me a great room, and helped my one night stay be very pleasant. Thank you!”- Trip Advisor
“I paid 1000$ for 3 days for a suite, got there and was able to tip 100$ and upgrade to the penthouse suite. It's really nice and new. I would be down to come back here for my stay in vegas.”- Yelp
“One of the good hotel in Colombo and will of course stay here when their renovation has completed.”-Agoda
When deciding which hotel to stay at when traveling for leisure or business, we often consider a number of factors including price, amenities, if it is close to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment along with other determining factors. Compared to the Hyatt and Hilton, InterContinental Hotels Group's hotels offers a broader range of hotel options in 100 countries around the world. InterContinental Hotel brands is a good option for those who are traveling abroad. In addition, InterContinental Hotels Group offers budget friendly options for guests looking to save money.
The Hyatt is best suited for guests who enjoy taking advantage of benefits such as free nights from frequent hotel stays when they enroll in the Gold Passport program. If you choose to stay at the Hilton, you can earn points through the HHonors program when you shop, eat out, travel, and more. You can even turn your energy bill, online surveys, and gift registries into HHonors points. The Hilton is an excellent choice for guests who prefer luxury accommodations.
All three hotel chains offers rewards programs to help their customers save money on their next stay, and opportunties to earn points.
Pricing for each hotel will vary depending on how many nights you choose to stay, time of booking, and discounts you may use.
Let’s say that a guest named Sara is planning a weekend trip to Austin, Texas. The Holiday Inn currently charges $81 per night. InterContinental Hotel Group brands allows you to determine cost when you apply discounts such AARP, state government discounts, and more. The Hyatt Place Austin Downtown charges $152 per night, and The Hilton Austin charges $124.
While this scenario sounds like a simple math problem, Sara will have to decide which hotel will suit her budget and if her hotel of choice offers the amenities she is looking for.
If Sara is looking for the cheapest rates, she may decide to stay at the Holiday Inn. If she chooses the Hilton, she can choose a hotel that will best suit her needs by searching according to amenities like fitness center, airport shuttle, free in room Internet, and more.