Installing MemoryFitness Gear & Equipment
Installing the Memory
RAM is the main memory of the system. The installation of RAM depends on the amount of memory required for the processor. It also depends on the configuration of the motherboard. Before installing RAM, we need to have some knowledge about the system requirement. Consider the following points before installing the RAM:
1. Capacity of the RAM required
2. Check if installed memory is supported by motherboard and processor
3. Form Factor of the RAM
4. Type of RAM needed
5. Tools required for mounting the RAM on the motherboard.
6. Warranty of the RAM
Recently, 128MB, 256MB, and 512MB RAMs are available. While selecting the RAM according to its capacity, check the type of the processor used in the system. The Pentium 4 processors support all the latest RAMs.
Form factor is the size and shape of any electronic device. The installation of the RAM also depends on the form factor of the RAM. The different form factors of a RAM are SIMM, DIMM, and SODIMM.
To install the 72-pin SIMM package:
• Wear an anti-static wristband or any other static control device before touching any of the system components.
• Check the number of memory sockets present on the motherboard for installing the RAM module.
• Remove the anti-static cover of the RAM module.
• Hold the RAM module by its edges. Do not touch the chips mounted on the RAM module.
• Study the manual before initializing the installation.
• Check the notches of the RAM module.
• Hold the RAM module at an angle of 45 degree.
• Match the line of the RAM module notches with the notches of the memory socket.
• Place the RAM module on the memory socket in the perpendicular position. The chips placed on the module should be facing towards us.
• Align the metal connectors of the RAM module with the metal connectors of the memory socket.
• Put a slight pressure while inserting the RAM module on the memory socket.
• Check whether all the pins of the RAM module are in line with the memory socket.
• Check the manual after mounting the RAM module in the memory socket.
• Switch on the computer and follow the instructions given on the manual. The system may either recognize the new RAM by itself or display a message to update the configuration settings.
• Follow the Manual for configuring the new RAM for the system.
You may also be interested in