How to Support Your Immune Function Applying Acupressure Therapy?Fitness Gear & Equipment
Acupressure helps relieve imbalances of the energies called 'meridians' along the body to get cure from many ailments. This amazing therapy can be used to support your immune function . Support and enhancement of the immune system is perhaps the most important step in achieving resistance to disease and reducing susceptibility to colds, flus, and cancer.
We know that 'The immune system is a complex network of tissues, organs, cells, and chemicals that protects the body from infection and illness.'
The acupressure point effective for supporting your immune system is called “Valley of Harmony” (LI-4)
This pressure point is traditionally stimulated to support immune functions and detoxification. According to the theory of Acupressure, this important source point helps re-establish the energy balance of the meridian.
Because the large intestine channel goes from the hands to the face, LI 4 can be also used for diseases of the head and face including headaches, toothaches, and the common cold.
What other conditions this acupoint is beneficial?
Beside supporting immune functions and detoxification, this acupoint is beneficial in these conditions:
- It is called the best acupressure point for headaches. It is especially helpful for sinus headaches and headaches that are centered in the forehead.
- For food stagnation and constipation.
- To get relief from otension and sinus headaches located on the forehead or over the sinuses. It can also be used for sinus and nasal congestion.
- Acupressure to this point can be used to providing general pain relief in labour. (This acupressure point is to be used with caution during pregnancy)
Location: It is located in the web between your thumb and index finger on your right hand. To locate it, hold your hand on the side, thumbs side up. LI 4 is a half inch towards the body from the web of the thumb, in the muscle.
How to Massage: Apply steady pressure with your left thumb until you feel soreness. Hold for two minutes. Repeat on the left hand.
Often with a headache, the muscle will feel distended. Massage in gentle circles and press until the muscle releases. With practice, you can feel that the muscle will release under your fingers. Rub for 30 seconds to two minutes. Acupressure works quite fast, usually withing a minute or two, to soothe headaches. If the headache comes back, repeat the massage. If you have chronic headaches, then the imbalance is deeper and you will probably require acupuncture treatment.
My experience is to use this acupressure point for symptoms of fibromalgia. From few months I was having a tingling pain in both legs after going to bed and often it disturbed my sleep. It is now my daily practice to apply acupressure therapy at this point for two times, morning and at night. Yes, not only getting relief from aching legs, I am also getting other benefits of using this amazing therapy by applying pressure on this specific acupoint.
Today I checked the LI 4 for pain relief at back limb of my husband who is suffering from a stretched muscle or nerve pain from more than a month. First I started applying trigger point and normal therapy at the effected part but the relief was nominal. Today when I touched the LI4 point, my husband jumped with a jerk, because the acupoint became very tender and it showed that the therapy at same point would be beneficial.
- Also you should note that forceful rubbing can lead to a minor bruise.
- I apply pressure with my thumb finger as it is shown in picture. And the pressure technique is press for one or two seconds- hold and loose the grip for second - press again and repeat the process until you count upto 30 or 50. One session is engouth for a sitting in the morning and another can be done at night.
- This therapy session can be done anytime, anywhere, sittting or lying in any position.
Another acupressure point for Strengthening the Immune System is (B 36), that governs resistance, especially resistance to colds and flu. It is located near the spine, off the tips of the shoulder blades.
These points around the tips of the shoulder blades are the first to get blocked up just before an illness, especially a cold or flu, takes hold.
Note: Please share your experience if you have tried any one of these acupressure points for relief or cure of any of mentioned illness.
* 'Acupressure.com' suggests more aupressure point for boosting the immune system.
* Study Shows Brain Activity Influences Immune Function (An interesting study at 'Sciencedaily')