How to Replace the Oil Pan on All 1997 - 2000 Toyota Camry / Avalon 2.2L 4 Cyl Engines
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The EPA warns that prolonged contact with used engine oil may cause a number of skin disorders, including cancer! You should make every effort to minimize your exposure to used engine oil. Protective gloves should be worn when changing the oil. Wash your hands and any other exposed skin areas as soon as possible after exposure to used engine oil. Soap and water, or waterless hand cleaner should be used.
2.2L (5S-FE) Engine
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Drain the engine oil and remove the engine undercovers.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Safely support the engine assembly and remove the engine mounting center member.
- Remove the rear end stiffener plate.
- Remove the oil dipstick and remove the 17 bolts and 2 nuts attaching the oil pan to the engine.
- Insert the blade of the SST 09032-00100 tool, or equivalent, between the oil pan and the cylinder block; cut off the applied sealer and remove the oil pan.
Do not use the tool for the oil pump body side and rear oil seal retainer.
- Remove any old sealant from the oil pan flange and thoroughly clean both sealing surfaces.
- Apply a 3-5mm bead of sealant to the oil pan flange.
The pan must be installed within 5 minutes of sealant application or the procedure will have to be repeated.
- Install the oil pan with the 17 bolts and 2 nuts. Uniformly tighten the bolts and nuts in several passes. Tighten the bolts and nuts to 48 inch lbs. (5.4 Nm) and install the oil dipstick.
Fig. Oil pan bolt locations-5S-FE engine
Fig. You may need to purchase a Special Service Tool (SST) to slice the gasket on between the oil pan and the cylinder block. In most cases a utility knife is sufficient
Fig. Oil pump strainer bolt locations
Fig. Oil pan sealing diagram-2.2L (5S-FE) engine
- Install the rear end stiffener plate.
- Install the engine mounting center member and safely lower the engine.
- Install the front exhaust pipe.
- Fill the engine with oil and connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Recheck the engine oil level and reinstall the engine undercovers.
3.0L (1MZ-FE) Engine
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. On vehicles equipped with an air bag, wait at least 90 seconds before proceeding.
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Remove the right front wheel.
- Remove the fender apron seal.
- Remove the engine undercover.
- Drain the engine oil from the engine.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe.
- Remove the front exhaust pipe bracket from the No. 1 oil pan.
- Remove the flywheel housing undercover.
- Remove the 10 bolts and 2 nuts to the No. 2 oil pan.
- Insert the blade of SST tool 09032-00100, or equivalent between the No. 1 and No. 2 oil pans. Clean the surfaces of the oil pans.
- Remove the oil strainer and gasket from the engine by removing the 3 nuts.
- Remove the No.1 oil pan as follows:
- Remove the 2 bolts to the flywheel housing undercover. Remove the flywheel undercover.
- Remove the 17 bolts and 2 nuts to the No. 1 oil pan. Make a note of the position of the each bolt. When replacing the bolts into the oil pan, place each bolt in the position from which it was removed.
- Remove the oil pan by prying the portions between the cylinder block and the oil pan. Be careful not to damage the contact surfaces.
- Remove the baffle plate from the No. 1 oil pan.
Fig. The 1MZ-FE engine is equipped with two oil pan
Fig. No. 1 oil pan mounting bolt locations-3.0L (1MZ-FE) engine
Fig. No. 2 oil pan mounting bolt locations-3.0L (1MZ-FE) engine