How to perform a Loopback Test with Windows HyperTerminal
Network permits transmission of data from one PC to another. The data broadcasted flows via a range of physical appliances and eventually reaches the anticipated destination. The information will not be broadcasted if any appliance on the communication path is not functioning correctly. A variety of troubleshooting devices can be applied to recognize the problem. The user can also trace the basis that initiated the problem and a lot of a times also work on the problem.
Physical Checking by various tools
Network may stop functioning due to various reasons such as damaged cables, faulty NICs and wrong IP configuration settings. You can use the different tools available to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem. Different tools are used to measure the different network parameters. There are various third party tools available for checking the network. These tools can either be software or hardware tools.
HyperTerminal is a program that allows you to connect to other computers, Telnet sites, online sites and host computers using the modem or an Ethernet connection. It can be used for configuring and testing the modem or connection with other sites. The messages passed to and from the computer are recorded by HyperTerminal. Therefore, ft can be used as a troubleshooting tool.
To perform a Loopback Test with Windows HyperTerminal:
- Select Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> HyperTerminal. A dialog box stating whether you want to make telnet your default program may appear. Click No.
- Enter appropriate name, in the Name box.
- Select the appropriate icon, from the Icon group.
- Click OK. The connect to dialog box appears.
- Select the appropriate COM port, from the Connect using Drop-down list.
- Click Ok. The COM1 properties dialog box appears.
- Select the none option, from the flow control drop-down list. You may leave the other settings, though you can increase the speed if required.
- Click OK. The Loopback test- HyperTerminal window appears
- Enter the text.
- If the serial port is working and the loopback plug is properly connected, the text you type appears window.
- If the loopback test is successful, it indicates that your serial port is functional and you can send i receive data through that port.