How to Make Body and Face Lotion with Honey and Beeswax
Beeswax and pure honey can be combined with other natural ingredients to make a luxurious body and face lotion that is nourishing for the skin. This lotion is fragrant and it contains no unwelcome chemical additives. No special equipment is needed and all ingredients are easy to obtain. Making your own handmade face and body lotion will also save you money; similar commercially prepared products can be prohibitively expensive. If you package your lotion in attractive containers it can also make unique handmade gifts.
¼ cup water
2 tbsp. grated beeswax
¼ cup pure honey
½ cup sweet almond oil
4 vitamin E capsules
Essential oil of your choice
small jars or small bottles with lids
- Place the water in a double boiler over medium heat until it boils. Add the grated beeswax and heat it until the wax melts.
- When the beeswax has completely melted, blend in the sweet almond oil and the honey, using the wire whisk. Keep stirring with the whisk until the mixture is well combined, then remove it from the heat.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and transfer it into the mixing bowl.
- Continue to stir the mixture with the whisk until it cools. At this point it will start to thicken.
- Open the vitamin E capsules and add the contents to the mixture as you continue to beat it with the wire whisk.
- Add several drops of whatever essential oil you have chosen. The essential oil is to add fragrance, and it can also be for aromatherapy benefits. Put the essential oil in gradually, drop by drop, until you have reached the level of fragrance you prefer. Stir this thoroughly with the wire whisk.
- After your lotion cools you can use the funnel to pour it into the bottles. Once you have replaced the lids your beeswax and honey lotion is ready to use.
- Store the lotion in the refrigerator when you are not using it. If you prefer not to use it cold, place the bottle of lotion in a bowl of hot water about ten minutes before applying it to your skin.
Variations of this Recipe
You may want to bring out the natural fragrance of the almond oil in your lotion. If this is your preference, add a few drops of almond essential oil and no other fragrance. This makes a lovely lotion.
For an added boost to the lotion and to add to its skin care benefits, add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel to the mixture when you take it off the stove. If you do this, increase the amount of beeswax by one tablespoon.
“Natural Beauty Recipe Book: How to Make Your Own Organic Cosmetics and Beauty Products”: Gill Farrer-Halls; September 1, 2006
Lotion Secrets: Recipes: Lotions and Creams
Beeswax Co. LLC: Beeswax Recipes