How to Fix Broken and Crumbling Stucco Siding on Your Home's ExteriorFitness Equipment
The concept of using cement for siding was invented during the Roman and Greek times. Stucco siding is considered to be the best material used to enhance the outer look of the house. But the actual stucco technique was enhanced by the Italians, during the Renaissance period.
Stucco Siding for House
Stucco siding for home decor became immensely popular in the US during the 20th century. Traditionally, stucco is obtained by mixing Portland cement with water and lime or sand. This solution can be molded in numerous decorative shapes that can be painted in various color combination. Stucco can be applied on the wooden walls, which are covered with galvanized metal screening. Nowadays, stucco is also used for interior painting. Some masonry surfaces are also covered using the stucco siding.
Today different types of house sidings are being used. The most common amongst them being the traditional stucco and synthetic stucco siding. Stucco siding gives a long lasting house coating and protects the house from humidity and rains. But after several years of the stucco installation, a few cracks, and blister-like things may appear. Then you will know that it is time for the stucco siding repair.
Stucco Siding Repair
The first suggestion for stucco siding repair would be to contact a stucco siding specialist. Those of you who are curious about how to repair stucco siding, can also repair the stucco siding the DIY way. All that one needs is a little hard work and a little bit of architectural sense. The following things are needed to repair the stucco siding:
* Portland cement (1/2 bag)
* Slightly damp brick sand (6 shovels full)
* Acrylic bonding material (1/2 cup)
* Hydrated lime (1 shovel full)
To make the stucco mixture, you have to mix all the dry ingredients in a garden cart with the help of the shovel and later on, blend them thoroughly by using the mortar hoe. Don't use too much water as it makes the stucco totally unworkable. The important thing is to use the stucco mixture within an hour because after that it starts to get dry and hard.
Stucco Siding Repair Instructions
The first and foremost thing to look for before stucco siding repair is the weather in your region. Extremely wet, hot, windy or freezing weather can totally ruin your plan to repair the siding of the house. It is best if the stucco does not become dry before the total installation. Hence, in between the stucco coats, keep a plastic sheet to maintain the moisture.
* Break off the loose stucco siding of the wall by using a strong hammer. Take care that you don't harm the wood lath underneath.
* Fix two layers of the builder's paper (grade D) along the side of the boundaries at the meeting point of the original (good in condition) stucco siding and exposed wood lathe, with the help of roofing nails.
* Now place galvanized metal screening onto the paper and cut its sides along the edges of the stucco. Use some more roofing nails and an offset handle for the cause.
* Stir the wet stucco siding mixture and mix some acrylic bonding that will enhance the adhesion of the mixture.
* Wet the edges of the old stucco, so they won't absorb the moisture off the new one. Now take wet stucco on a brick trowel and totally cover the metal screening with a 1/2 inch thick coat.
* When the stucco coat loses its sheen, place a plastic paper on it to keep it from drying.
* Remove the plastic sheet after a week and then again apply a stucco coat which has a thickness of 3/8 inch. Repeat the same procedure and cover the wet stucco with the plastic sheet
* After 3 days, it is time to apply the third and the final coat of the stucco siding. This is a bit tricky as various stucco textures require different techniques. Add the same texture that suits your entire wall and let it dry for a week and then paint the stucco
You can consult a stucco specialist before applying the final coat as it is the visible coat that enhances the look of the entire wall. Make sure you wear all the safety gears like hand gloves and a good quality eye protective goggle before you start the procedure of stucco siding repair.