A sore throat is discomfort, pain, or scratchiness in the throat. A sore throat is also known as pharyngitis. A sore throat can be caused by an infection due to a virus or bacteria. It can also result from inflammation, trauma, airway obstruction, malignancy, and other abnormal processes. A bad sore throat can make you miserable. Fortunately, there are numerous good soothing home remedies for sore throat pain. Following are a few home remedies to cure sore throat naturally.
1. Gargling twice a day with salted lukewarm water is one of the most excellent home remedies for getting relief from sore throat. Simply dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle with this mixture. Do this every few hours for getting quick relief from a sore in throat.
2. One of the simplest home remedies for sore throat is to continuously keep sipping on hot liquids throughout the day. Hot drinks melt away the mucus and microbes that are making your throat sore. Fluids like tea, coffee, piping hot soups and even warm water can be sipped on.
3. Tamarind water has been used for gargling away a sore throat. Take a handful of tamarind and soak it in 2 glasses of water for some time. Drain the water and use it for gargling to get relief from sore throat naturally.
4. Fenugreek seeds have expectorant qualities and are used to ease coughs and sore throat. This can be used for gargling, which provides relief from sore throat. To prepare a gargle solution, take 2 teaspoons of fenugreek seeds mixed in 1 liter of water and allow it to simmer until the water is yellowish in color. Then, strain the water and gargle with it for treating a sore throat.
5. Holy basil leaves have powerful healing and antibacterial properties, making holy basil one of the most beneficial natural remedies for sore throat. Boil basil leaves with water and drink twice a day for treating sore throat pain. You can also use this water for gargling to get quick relief from a sore in the throat.
6. You can also use mango bark for curing sore throat. Fluid extracted from mango bark could be used as throat gargle. Mix 10 mL of fluid extract from the mango bark with 100 mL of water and gargle it. Chewing the mango bark is also effective in the treatment of sore throat.
7. Honey has long been used in various natural sore throat remedies ranging from teas to syrups. Honey has powerful antimicrobial properties, which can soothe the lining of the throat and reduce phlegm. Consume 2 spoons of honey every morning.
8. Turmeric is one of the simple and effective home remedies for sore throat. Curcumin, found in abundance in turmeric, is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. Gargle 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in a cup of hot water 2 to 3 times daily to cure sore throat. It helps to reduce inflammation and fight certain infections as well.
9. Drinking warm lime juice is said to help soothe a sore throat. Lemon juice mixed with equal amount of warm water and honey is found to be very effective for treating sore throat. Sip on this water slowly so that it foments the throat as it goes down.
10. Cinnamon is one of the effective and simple home remedies for sore throat, particularly the one due to cold. Take 4 spoons of honey, 1 spoon of cinnamon powder, and 3 cups of water and boil to make like tea. You may take this mixture 3 to 4 times a day.
11. Chewing a clove along with some rock salt or crystals of common salt is a common home remedy for sore throat. Also, a diluted solution of oil of clove makes an ideal gargle for a sore in throat.
12. Onion and honey are helpful in resolving symptoms of sore throat. Soak finely chopped onion in honey for a couple of hours. Just take a teaspoonful every couple of hours to help with healing your sore throat.
13. Garlic is a good natural cure for sore throat as it contains antiseptic properties. Boil 3 to 4 cloves of garlic in a cup of water and drink this several times a day for soothe a sore throat.
14. Sage tea is another effective remedy for a sore throat. Prepare a tea by putting some dried red sage in boiling water. Cover and leave for 10 to 15 minutes. Then, strain it and add a few drops of vinegar to it. You can either use it to gargle or you can drink it to relieve sore throat irritation.
15. Boil 2 tablespoonfuls of dried oregano leaves in 1 cup of water and drink it 2 hours before or after meals. Gargling with this water also help to prevent sore throat.
16. Turmeric milk is an effective home remedy for sore throat. Add a teaspoonful of turmeric powder to a glass of milk and boil it. Sip this hot milk to cure sore throat.
17. Simply place a very thin slice of fresh ginger on the back of your tongue for 10 minutes. Repeat with a fresh piece several times a day for soothing a sore throat.
18. Apple cider vinegar can also help alleviate the symptoms of a sore throat. It not only cures sore throat, but also soothes the infected area. A gargle made from apple cider vinegar and water could prove to be a great relief for sore throat and to cut mucus.
19. Boil a glass of water by adding a teaspoon of cumin seeds and a few small pieces of dry ginger. After simmering, allow the liquid to cool and gargle as often as necessary to get rid of sore throat.
20. Licorice is a well-recognized remedy for sore throat. The healing property of the herb soothes inflammation quickly. When the root is chewed, it may cause numbing in the mouth, which is an effective and natural way to ease a sore throat. Licorice is also used as herbal tea. The tea when sipped can ease the pain of a sore throat.
21. Pineapples and pineapple juice is a great home remedy for relieving a sore throat. Pineapples and pineapple juice contains an enzyme called bromelain that has anti-inflammatory properties. Bromelain helps to reduce the irritation and soreness in our throats, at the backs of our tongues, and in our voice boxes.
Pineapples are very soothing and they contain a great deal of vitamin C that can also help to get rid of the cold and sore throat quicker. All you have to do is to get a can of pineapples or a fresh pineapple and chew the pineapples cubes or pieces and let the pineapple juice coat your mouth and throat.
These home remedies for sore throat not only work by relieving you from the sore throat symptoms, but also speed up the recovery process. It is best to stick to natural home remedies rather than going in for antibiotics, which can have side effects.