How to Cure Mouth Ulcers Naturally: 10 Effective Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
Mouth ulcers are open sores inside the mouth. These sores usually occur on the tongue, inside the lips and cheeks, gums, and palate. The two main types of mouth ulcers are canker sores, also known as aphthous ulcers, and cold sores (caused by the herpes simplex virus). Mouth ulcers can develop due to a variety of causes.
Common causes of mouth ulcers include:
• Nutritional deficiencies such as iron, vitamins, especially B12 and C
• Poor oral hygiene
• Biting the cheek
• Food allergies
• Hormonal imbalance
• Skin disease
• Bowel disease
Home Remedies to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Home remedies are the best and easiest way to cure mouth ulcers without any side effects. Some of the effective home remedies for mouth ulcers are as follows:
1. Coconut Milk: Fresh coconut milk serves as one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. Gargle with coconut milk 3 to 4 times a day. You may also mix some coconut milk with honey, and apply this mixture over the mouth ulcers.
2. Basil: Basil leaves help fight and prevent mouth ulcers. Boil a few basil leaves in a glass of water and gargle using this water. You may also chew on basil leaves to relieve sores. Applying a paste made out of basil leaves on the sore area is also very effective.
3. Onion: onion contains a natural ingredient known as sulfur which is very effective to cure mouth ulcers. Eat raw salad with lot of onions.
4. Peppermint Oil: Application of peppermint oil also helps, as it is an anesthetic agent. Applying peppermint oil on the sores will give instant relief from irritation and pain associated with the mouth ulcers.
5. Honey and Turmeric: Honey has antimicrobial properties, which is significant to treat mouth ulcers. Turmeric is also a cooling agent and helps to relieve mouth ulcers. Just take about 1 teaspoon of honey and put about a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. Dab it over your sore.
6. Guava Leaves: Prepare a decoction with the leaves of guava and gargle with this 3-4 times a day to cure mouth ulcers.
7. Coriander Seeds: Gargling with a decoction of coriander seeds is another one of the most popular natural home remedies for mouth ulcers. Prepare a coriander decoction by boiling 1 teaspoon coriander seeds in 1 cup of water. Filter and use it as a gargle when it is lukewarm.
8. Sesame Oil: You can also try gargling with sesame oil every 2hrs until the burning sensation stops. This oil is a good mouth wash to cure mouth ulcers.
9. Cranberry Juice: Holding cranberry juice in your mouth over an ulcer eases the pain of the sore and promotes healing.
10. Banana: Eating a ripe banana mixed with curd is also a good home remedy to cure mouth ulcers.
These are some of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. Follow these effective home remedies to cure your mouth ulcers naturally.