How To Complete an I-9 Work Authorization for A Minor

Knoji reviews products and up-and-coming brands we think you'll love. In certain cases, we may receive a commission from brands mentioned in our guides. Learn more.
Minors that take the opportunity to work have to get a work authorization using an I-9 Form, just like adults, before productive work starts. But, the paperwork is not done exactly the same, and proof the minor is fit to work takes less sure proof.

Americans under the age of adulthood can get their name on a work authorization by completing the I-9 Form. A parent or guardian, or other adult preparer, helps them complete the entire form.

Minors do not have to use the same documents as adults to prove identity.

1.  Get an I-9 Form from U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The form is available online.

A printed form is avaliable from the USCIS. Call or write by letter or e-mail to request a form.

The form can also be completed electronically by using the USCIS site online. The Department of Homeland Security has authorized the use and keeping of an electronic I-9.

Once the form is received, read the instructions.

2. Fill out section 1 on the form. The minor or their parent or legal guardian can fill out the section on identity and work status. Citizens and legal alien workers both must state their status to show they are fit to work. Parents and legal guardians can check the status box for the minor.

3. Write "Individual under age 18" in the signature space. Put the date in the date space.

Minors do not sign the I-9 Form.

4. Parent or legal guardian fills out and signs and dates the preparer or translator certification blank.

5. Employer writes "Individual under age 18" under List B. Unless the minor has a ID card, driver license, school ID card or voter registration card, the proof of identity documents on List B are not shown.

Minors can use:

  • A school record or report card
  • A clinic, doctor or hospital record, or
  • A day care or nursery school record.

6. Minors that do not present List B documents present List C documents and the employer records the documents.

Any one of the documents can prove identity:

  • U. S. Social Security card other than one that says the card does not authorize the employee to work in the United States
  • Certificate of birth abroad issued by the State Department
  • Birth certificate issued by State Department
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, or municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States. The document must bear an official seal.
  • Native American tribal document
  • U. S. Citizen identification card
  • Identification card for use of resident citizen in the United States
  • Employment Authorization Document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

All documents must not have expired. Photocopies of the document used to check are kept with the Form I-9.


I-9 Form, Employment Eligibility Verification (Revised August 7, 2009).