Hookworm Therapy Side Effects: What Are These and How Can They Be Completely EliminatedFitness Gear & Equipment
According to MedlinePlus.com, a leading medical website hosted by the National Institute of Health (NIH), over one billion people worldwide suffer from hookworm infestations. The infection mostly affects people who live in tropical regions and can be a dangerous condition in children who do not yet have the capacity to fight the complications of the infestation.
Most Common Medications For Hookworm Infestation
1. Mebendazole (Vermox) – this medication works by blocking glucose absorption for the parasite. In other words, the hookworm would gradually starve without its ability to access energy and dies. This is one of the most effective treatments with success rates of about 96%. The medication comes in 100 mg tablets, which have to be chewed twice a day for 2-3 days or as recommended by the physician. It is contraindicated for people with hypertension and pregnant women.
2. Pyrantel (Antiminth) – this medication paralyzes the hookworm, which then loses its hold on the intestine wall making it possible for it to be eliminated in the stool. This drug is normally recommended when the patient suffers from multiple worms infestation for it can completely eradicate most types of these parasites. It is contraindicated for people with hypertension, anemia and liver dysfunction.
3. Albendazole (Albenza) – this medication interrupts the metabolic chain of the hookworm thereby killing it. Once dead, the hookworm is harmlessly expelled out in the stools. This drug is contraindicated for people suffering from liver problems and lactating women.
4. Thiabendazole (Mintezol) – this medication is known to break off and inhibit the ability of the hookworm to produce eggs, and eggs to develop into larvae. This drug is contraindicated for pregnant women for it might harm the fetus; it is also contraindicated for people with renal or hepatic diseases.
Most Common Side-Effects Of Hookworm Therapy
1. Diarrhea and Abdominal Distress – people taking mebendazole sometimes suffer from diarrhea, abdominal pain and liver damage. These therapy side-effects however, are temporary and the body recoups easily after the medicine is discontinued. Albendazole also is known to provoke stomach upset; therefore it is recommended that the drug is always taken along with food.
2. Headache, Dizziness and Fever – people treated with pyrantel sometime experience temporarily headaches, dizziness and fever. As soon as the hookworm is eliminated from the body, the symptoms disappear on their own. Thiabendazole is often associated with these side effects.
3. Constipation – this is a more common side-effect in people who suffer from anemia and take iron supplements to correct it. When treating for hookworm with albendazole or pyrentel doctors often prescribe iron supplements; this in turn cause constipation.
Herbal Medication And No Side-Effects
Hookworm infestation can be cured with alternative medication. One of the most effective alternatives is herbal remedies. Medicinal herbs such as:
- Torreya grandis and Area catechu – these herbs help kill and eliminate the hookworm from your body
- Sanguisorba officinalis, - fights internal bleeding and cools the blood
- Codonopsis pilosula and the root of Platycodom grandiflrum are most effective against hookworm infestation in the lungs
- Fruit of Ziziphus jujube – helps reversing loss of appetite post hookworm infestation
The advantage of using medicinal herbs for curing hookworm infestation is that it will cause no side effects and therefore can be used by anyone, any time. The infection would be eradicated within maximum 7 days with the medication administered 2-3 times a day in dosages recommended by the herbalist. Full recovery of health might take anything from 2 weeks to several months, depending upon the severity of the attack.
Simple Home Remedies That Work Wonders With No Side-Effects
The following home remedies can be easily adapted by anyone who suffers from worm infestation. The ingredients can be found in any kitchen and you suffer from absolutely no side-effects owing to any of these treatments. For best results, you need to take these remedies early in the morning on empty stomach. You can adopt one or more of these remedies, though each one is effective against hookworm infestation in its own capacity.
- Powder fenugreek seeds and take ½ teaspoon with water for 3-4 days - once a day
- Eat 2-3 small tomatoes in the morning
- Go on single fruit diet on any of these fruits – cranberries, papaya, pineapple; these will kill intestinal parasites.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ACV (apple cider vinegar) in a glass of water and have first thing in the morning; this will prevent worm infestation.
- Make it a habit to have a few cloves with every meal. This will kill the eggs of the parasitic worms and prevent regeneration.
- Half a cup of decoction of betel nut taken for 3 consecutive days would get you rid of the worms.
You can choose to get yourself rid of the infestation whichever way you feel best. At the same time, you need to know that there is the possibility of completely eliminating the risk of an
Resources and Useful Sites:
1. Hookworm Infection: Treatment & Medication - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/998401-treatment
2. Natural Remedies For Intestinal Parasites - http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/conditionsitoq/a/Parasites.html
3. Herbal treatment for hookworm disease - http://www.herbalgranny.com/2009/11/21/herbal-treatment-for-hookworm-disease/
4. Home remedies – Intestinal Worms - http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Intestinal-Worms.html
5. How to get rid of hookworms - http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-hookworms/