Cumin seeds, known as Cuminum cyminum in Latin and Jeeraka in Sanskrit, have been traditionally used by Ayurvedic physicians to treat inflammations and ailments related to digestive system. It is well known for its carminative and digestive properties. Listed below are some home remedies using cumin seeds as the main ingredient.
- Indigestion: Chewing a teaspoon of cumin seeds along with a pinch of dry ginger powder is excellent way to treat indigestion.
- Flatulence: Boil 2 teaspoon of cumin seeds along with half a teaspoon of asafetida in a glass of water. Cool down, add a pinch of rock salt and have it to get rid of intestinal gases. You can also add few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Piles: Add one teaspoon of cumin seeds and half a teaspoon of dry ginger powder to a glass of buttermilk. Let it cool down, then strain it and have a glass full before retiring to bed. You can also garnish it with coriander leaves and add a pinch of rock salt.
- Heat boils: Make a paste of cumin seeds along with half a teaspoon each of turmeric powder and honey. Apply the paste on the boils and keep it covered for half an hour.
- Bleeding gums: Roast a teaspoon of cumin seeds, mix it with half a teaspoon each of rock salt and dry Indian gooseberry powder along with a pinch of turmeric powder. Grind it into a fine paste and apply it on the gums.
- Mouth ulcers: Add few drops of honey and pinch of turmeric powder to a teaspoon of cumin seeds and chew it slowly, using your tongue to spread the juice throughout the mouth.
- Sore eyes: Boil a teaspoon of cumin seeds with 8-10 mint leaves in a glass of water. Let it cool down, strain it and add a teaspoon of rose water and wash your eyes with it.
- Joint pain: Grind 2 teaspoon of cumin seeds with a teaspoon of dried ginger powder, 3-4 black peppercorns and few pieces of camphor. Add this powder to a cup of sesame oil and heat on low flame for about 15 minutes, stirring it constantly. Cool it and apply this oil on the painful joints and give hot fomentation.
- Common cold: Brew a tea by adding a teaspoon of cumin seeds and one inch piece of ginger. Have it hot after adding a pinch of turmeric powder, few drops of honey and half a teaspoon of lemon juice. This helps in relieving symptoms associated with common cold.
Besides these home remedies, cumin seeds are commonly used in seasoning various Indian dishes, especially curries. Chewing a teaspoon of cumin seeds along with few cardamom seeds after meals is a good way to keep your mouth fresh and get rid of bad breath.