Home Remedies for Treating Kidney Stones
Kidney stones, also known as renal calculi in medical lingo, are solid concretion of dissolved minerals in the urine. The presence of these stones in the kidneys is referred to as nephrolithiasis in medical terminology. When these kidney stones leave the body by passing through the urine stream, they can cause excruciating pain and also bloody urine, sometimes. Read on for some simple yet effective home remedies for getting rid of the kidney stones.
1. Lemon juice taken with olive oil is perhaps one of the most common and time-tested home remedies for treating kidney stones. Add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil to one glass of water and drink for 3-4 times a day.
2. Grind pomegranate seeds to a fine paste and have 2 teaspoons twice or thrice daily. Drinking pomegranate juice is also equally effective.
3. Make a concoction by boiling pieces of radish and okra in water, till the level reaches half. Have 2 teaspoons thrice daily.
4. Drinking a glass of tender coconut water is another excellent home remedy to keep kidney stones at a bay.
5. Drinking two glasses of water melon juice every day is another effective home remedy. Water melon contains highest concentration of water amongst all fruits and is also high in potassium salt.
6. Drinking three cups of basil tea daily can also help in providing relief from kidney stones. Also concoction made by boiling barley in water is equally effective in getting rid of kidney stones.
7. Make a concoction by boiling coriander seeds and leaves in water, till the level reduces to half. Drink a cup of this concoction three times a day. Coriander seeds and leaves have natural diuretic effect, i.e. they pep up kidney functioning.
8. Drinking a cup of onion juice twice daily can also provide relief from kidney stones. Alternatively, one can also have tomato juice, which is also equally effective.
9. Apple cider vinegar is another effective home remedies to get rid of kidney stones. Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and have it 2-3 times a day.
10. Another common home remedy is to boil horse gram and then mash it into small paste. Have a teaspoon of this paste 2-3 times a day.
Tips for avoiding kidney stones:
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Avoid foods rich in oxalate such beans, beets, blueberries, chocolate, grapes, strawberry, green peppers, etc. Also, avoid foods rich in calcium such as milk, cheese, butter and other dairy products.
3. Limit the quantity of protein in your food since protein tends to increase presence of uric acid, calcium and phosphorus in the urine, leading to increased risk of stone formation. Also limit the intake of salt and salty foods.
4. Increase intake of foods rich in vitamin A such as apricots, broccoli, carrots, mangoes, pumpkins, etc.
However, one must remember that kidney stones can be a serious medical condition, and if these home remedies do not work, or if the pain is unbearable, accompanied by bloody urine, one must consult a physician or an urologist at the earliest.