Mother Nature has provided everything for our healthy life. She is so kind that her Nature Pharmacy provides whatever is necessary for a healthy life. Nature provides us not only plants for food but also for healing. Health benefits of many herbs, commonly found in nature, have not yet been analyzed by the modern medical world. Keezharnelli (Phyllanthus Niruri) is one of such herbs, commonly found in tropical regions, which is very good for treating liver problems.
Keezharnelli a common herb in tropical regions
Keezharnelli, botanically called Phyllanthus Amarus-Niruri, belongs to the genus Phyllanthus that contains more than 700 species. It is commonly found everywhere in India. It is referred as ‘Bhumyamalaki' in Sanskrit texts. It is known in the western countries as Stonebreaker, Chanca piedra, and Seed under leaf.
A powerful rejuvenator of Ayurveda and Siddha
Ayurveda and Siddha, ancient medicinal systems of India, have recommended Keezharnelli as a powerful rejuvenating herb.
Thirumoolar, one of the 18 Siddha saints who lived two thousand years ago, has mentioned Keezharnelli as an important “Kayakalpa” (rejuvenating) herbal medicine. The whole plant is used in Ayurvedic formulas since the entire plant has many medicinal properties. Ayurveda and Siddha suggest keezharnelli included formulas for most of the liver diseases, jaundice, diabetes and leucorrhoea.
Resurrection of Keezharnelli as the powerful warrior against Hepatitis
Hepatitis B virus had been a very dangerous epidemic in India. It is found more infectious than the infamous HIV virus. The infectivity rate of hepatitis B in India is 33 per cent against that of HIV’s 0.3 per cent. The vaccine against this deadly virus is so costly that an average Indian cannot afford to pay for it. People who are under the western influence have neglected the traditional medicines. This has increased faster spreading of hepatitis. Recent resurrection of Indian medicines has brought to light keezharnelli as the most powerful warrior against hepatitis B virus. Keezharnelli has drawn the attention of the western medical world after the recent researches, which have confirmed that the plant extract can cure hepatitis B.
Medicinal properties of keezharnelli
1) Ayurveda and Siddha have been using keezharnelli to treat jaundice, gonorrhea, frequent menstruation, gastrointestinal disorders,diabetes and dysentery.
2) Keezharnelli has antifungal, antiviral, antiseptic, antidiabetic and anticancer properties.
3) This wonderful herb is the best protector of liver. The Indian physicians have used keezharnelli successfully in healing several diseases, including jaundice, liver cirrhosis, and diabetes.
4) Keezharnelli not only fights against the hepatitis virus but also improves the body’s immune system. It encourages the body to eliminate the virus from liver cells. Besides, it has also proved to be effective against the infective hepatitis (hepatitis A).
5) The English name for this herb “breakstone” may be most fitting since it breaks the kidney stones and gallstones.
The little herb keezharnelli, found everywhere in tropical regions, is really a heaven-sent herb to protect human health. When the whole world comes to know about its high medicinal value, this herb will turn into a great rejuvenating boon to humanity.