Health Risks Associated with Consumption of Pork Meat and Why It is Haram in Islam?Fitness Equipment
There are many reasons as to why Pig meat is forbidden for human consumption. Islam forbids not only pork but meat of all those animals who eat their own or some one else's body waste; the most commonly known animal in this category is pig or swine whose meat is commonly known as pork.
The Qur'an clearly prohibits pork, and informs us of its uncleanness or impurity.
"Say: I do not find within that which was revealed to me [anything] forbidden to one who would eat it unless it be or the flesh of swine, for indeed it is impure (rijs)." [Quran, 6:145]
Apart from the Quran prohibiting the consumption of pork bacon (pig flesh); in fact the Bible too in Leviticus chapter 11, verse 8, regarding swine it says, "of their flesh (of the swine another name for pig)shall you not eat, and of their carcass you shall not touch; they are " unclean to you."
The following paragraph is quoted from a site "Tithinghelps" which offers Christian point of view regarding pork meat. There are 22 reasons among which few are given below:
"Pigs were divinely created to be organic garbage disposal units to help clean up our environment, to be the eaters, not the eaten. These scavengers eat almost anything, including their own waste and the decaying, sometimes cancerous carcasses of other animals. They were not created for human consumption, and the Mosaic laws strictly forbid eating pork or pork derivatives, which include pepperoni, the number one pizza topping in America, in which a major ingredient is pork, or even touching a dead pig (invisible parasitic worms or their eggs on pig skin can later accidentally be ingested, etc.).
1) Pigs are engineered so well to collect, absorb, and harbor poisons, toxins, and pollutants that they can kill and eat poisonous snakes with their venom without harming themselves.
2) Pigs and hogs are so well adapted to toxins that the usual poisons such as strychnine, that would normally kill other animals quickly, will not kill swine unless large quantities of poison are used.
3) Most people believe pork is safe to eat if the 19 + different kinds of worms and parasites that can infect pigs are killed by cooking to around 170 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. But------
Research has shown that notorious, invisible to the naked eye trichinella spirella roundworms that can cause debilitating trichinosis can survive temperatures close to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, which is far above normal cooking temperatures. There is no safe temperature at which pork can be cooked to guarantee that all the parasites, including their resilient cysts and eggs, will be killed.
4) Unlike the Biblically clean cow which has 4 different stomachs or digestive chambers, pigs have only one stomach to try to purify or filter out poisons and parasites.
5) The pig, a walking sewer, is so poisonous that God created a "sewer line" or artery running down each leg. Go to any pig farm and lift the front hoof of a pig. Then apply a little pressure to its toes. Pus, sometimes green colored, will ooze out from between the toes!! This is an outlet that tries to drain various poisons the pig's body has not been able to handle."
For details : EDIBLE PORK, REALLY?
Why pork meat is haram in Islam?
- If God, The Creator and the All-Wise, commands us, explicitly, not to eat Pork, then we should obey Him without any debate and without asking why.
- Forbidding eating pork goes back to the time of Abraham. Pork is forbidden also in Judaism. Some Christians believe that it is forbidden also in Christianity which is logic as it is forbidden in Judaism (before Christianity) and in Islam (after Christianity.
- Pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck due to its anatomy. To slaughter any animal, Muslims makes an incision through the jugular veins, leaving all other veins and organs intact; thus causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body. This is similar to the Kosher laws of Judaism. Chemical analysis of this blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health.
- There are many evidences that eating pork has negative impact on health.
Health Corporation of Singapore explains the Bad effects of pork consumption:
- Pig's bodies contain MANY TOXINS, WORMS and LATENT DISEASES. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far MORE PREDISPOSED to these illnesses than other animals.
- This could be because PIGS like to SCAVENGE and will eat ANY kind of food, INCLUDING dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, reta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs. INFLUENZA (flu) is one of the MOST famous illnesses which pigs share with humans. This illness is harbored in the LUNGS of pigs during the summer months and tends to affect pigs and humans in the cooler months.
- Sausage contains bits of pigs' lungs, so THOSE who EAT pork sausage tend to SUFFER MORE during EPIDEMICS of INFLUENZA. Pig meat contains EXCESSIVE quantities of HISTAMINE and IMIDAZOLE compounds, which can lead to ITCHING and INFLAMMATION; GROWTH HORMONE, which PROMOTES INFLAMMATION and growth; sulfur containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to SWELLING and deposits of MUCUS in tendons and cartilage, resulting in ARTHRITIS, RHEUMATISM,etc.
- Sulfur helps cause FIRM human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage.
- Eating pork can also lead to GALLSTONES and OBESITY, probably due to its HIGH CHOLESTEROL and SATURATED FAT content. The pig is the MAIN CARRIER of the TAENIA SOLIUM WORM, which is found in its flesh.
These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This typeof tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage.
The most important reason of forbidding something:
When God (Allah Almighty) prohibits (Haram) something for His servants, He does so certainly out of His overflowing mercy on them, to save them from all what may bring them harm; He is indeed Ever-Kind and Most Glorious!
Allah's knowledge is greater and deeper than ours, and perfect and all-embracing, whereas science is not all-encompassing, and is constantly changing -- new discoveries are made, old theories are abandoned. Hence, even if “ hypothetically" we cannot discover any of the wisdom or rationale behind a particular divine injunction, this does not exempt us from following it.
And Allah knows best.
I hope you will agree with me, isn't it?????
Useful links and resources: