Punarnava is a medicinal herbs and is famouse for its health promoting benefits. Punarnava is used in treating obesity, improving appetite, jaundice, and general fever. The word punarnava literally means 'renewer' or one which renews the body as Punarnava tends to renew and revitalize the body systems. Almost all anti-obesity medications contain Punarnava as one of its ingredients. Hence is beneficial in treating obesity. It also helps to maintain effective kidney function.
This weed grows throughout India, Bangla Desh, Burma,Sri Lanka and in many tropical countries throughout year but dries during the summer. It bears small fleshy leaves, small reddish pink flowers and fruits in winter. It is bitter in taste and has cooling effect. It has very high medicinal value.
Punarnave has anti Inflammatory and Analgesic properties. It checks Anemia and is being used as cardiac-tonic.
Health benefits of Punarnave:
The extract of Punarnava has diuretic properties. Punarnava helps maintain efficient kidney function, with its diuretic, anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory action. The roots have anti-convulsant, analgesic, laxative and expectorant properties. It has both diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties and therefore is useful in inflammatory renal diseases.
It is a very useful herb in treating edema.
More health benefits are:
- Root extract of this herb is used as a kidney and liver tonic. It improves the functioning of kidneys damaged by diabetes. Being a diuretic and mild laxative, it helps in detoxification and prevents fluid retention.
- Punarnava promotes liver health. Punarnava is widely used to rejuvenate liver and detoxify it. It helps in jaundice or hepatitis.
- It provides relief from joint pains and inflammation.
- It works as a blood purifier, gives immunity to the body.
- Some researchers have suggested that it has antibacterial properties and used in treatment of gonorrhea.
- Mainly, the roots and the whole plant is used for the medicinal purpose, externally Punarnava is used for fomentation to alleviate the pain and swelling.
- The fresh juice of its roots instilled into eyes, mitigates the ailments of the eyes like night blindness and conjunctivitis.
- The paste applied on the wounds, dries up the oozing.
- Studies have revealed that Punarnava is an excellent diuretic, anti-inflammatory, mild laxative and is a heart tonic.
- Punarnava is effective in treating a disease called Dropsy, a condition wherein excess of watery fluid gets accumulated in the tissues and body cavities. A liquid extract of this plant stimulates urine secretion and discharge.
- It is also useful in treating Ascities, a condition caused by fluid accumulation in the abdominal lining and is particularly useful in treating specific types of Ascities caused by certain liver diseases. The roots of the plant help in killing
- It promotes mucous removal from bronchial tubes and hence beneficial in treating Asthma. When the paste made out of the roots of this plant, is applied externally on the skin, it forms a beneficial dressing for edematous swellings, ulcers and skin diseases.
- Punarnava support lung function and respiratory health. It helps to reduce productive cough and asthma.
- Other benefits include treatment of anemia, nervous weakness, paralysis, constipation and cough. It is employed in Brazilian herbal medicine to stimulate the emptying of the gallbladder and for all types of liver disorders.
Note: Cardiac patients should use this herb under the supervision of a qualified doctor. Before usage, it is recommended that you consult an Ayurveda physician who can advise the right product for you to maximize the benefits.
Punarnava is a laxative; dosage should be determined by a qualified medical professional. Children below 12 years of age and pregnant women should not take this herb.