Health Benefits of Asparagus
The botanical name of asparagus is Asparagus Oficinalis. It is commonly regarded as one of the healthiest natural foods. This perennial plant has lots of nutrients which make it a must for healthy diet. Asparagus was cultivated by the Romans around 200 B.C. This healthy plant has been used from ancient times as a medicine. Asparagus is famous for its diuretic properties. It has tremendous food value too. Asparagus is an excellent source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Folate. Also it is a very good source of potassium, phosphorus, copper and protein.
Asparagus is a zero calorie food and it has many natural and health benefits. Given below are some of the most important health benefits of Asparagus.
• Asparagus is good for heart health: Asparagus is rich with folate. Folate is very good for the heart health as it is important for healthy cardiovascular system. Folate along with Vitamin B6 and B12 keeps the heart healthy. These help to reduce blood cholesterol level and control the blood pressure as well.
• Asparagus is a natural diuretic: It is an excellent body cleanser; asparagin (a nitrogenous) in asparagus has very good diuretic properties. Being a good source of potassium and low in sodium – asparagus works very well as a body cleanser. It also prevents or helps to prevent blood acidity.
• Asparagus prevents birth defects: Asparagus is very good for pregnant women. Folate is very important for pregnant women. Deficiency of folate can cause defects like spina bifida. Also, high content of vitamins and minerals in asparagus reduce other kinds of birth defects.
• Asparagus is good for the skin: Asparagus contains good percentage of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. These protect skin from free radical damage and also prevent from sagging of the skin. So, it works like an anti-ageing agent.
• Asparagus fights against cancer: Asparagus is high in folate and folate is known to be an anti-cancer agent. Asparagus contains high amount of glutathione which is a very potent cancer fighting agent.
• Asparagus is good for sexual health: Dried root of asparagus is good for sexual health as it arouses sexual desire. This has been used as a medicine for a long time. Asparagus is believed to increase the sexual potency.
Besides all these asparagus is very good for the kidneys and helps to prevent kidney stones. Asparagus, an alkaline food, is also good to fight depression and stress.