GlobalSign vs DigiCert vs GeoTrust vs AlphaSSL: SSL Certificate Companies Reviewed
SSL certificates are important for all websites, businesses, industry, government agencies, and anyone doing business on the internet. An SSL certificates show your customers that your company is dedicated to protecting all consumers that use your website. In addition, Google now ranks HTTPS with an SSL certificate high when it comes to search engine rankings and can help with search engine optimization (SEO).
GlobalSign provides more than just SSL certificates. They are an identity services company providing cloud-based, highly scalable PKI solutions for enterprises needing to conduct safe commerce, communications, and content delivery and community interactions. In addition GlobalSign provides security for IoT innovators around the world to conduct secure online communications. They have over 300 employees and to date have issued 25 million certificates.
GlobalSign Security Products
GlobalSign offers SSL and security products for all types and sizes of business that include:
- Small and medium businesses: SSL certificates, managed PKI, document signing, secure email certificates, code signing certificates and authentication certificates.
- Enterprise: Managed PKI, enterprise SSL, active directory integration, identity and access management, mobile connect, authentication and access control, document signing, S/MIME, trusted root and time stamping service.
- Cloud Service Providers: SSL/PKI as a service, cloud SSL and mobile connect.
- Internet of Everything (IoE): High volume certificate services and high scale IAM.
GlobalSign SSL Certificate Products
GlobalSign offers many SSL certificate features that include:
- Instant certificate issuance
- Complete certificate management
- Volume discounts and flexible terms
- Certificate monitoring
- SHA-256 hashing algorithm
- RSA 2048+ or ECC 256, 384 bit keys supported
- Free unlimited reissues
- Underwritten warranties
- Unlimited server license
- Multi-domain certificates - Add up to 100 Subject Alternative Names (SANs) on one certificate
- Free Certificate Inventory Tool
- Compatible with all major browsers and mobile devices (not IntranetSSL)
- Phone, Email, and Live Chat Support
GlobalSign SSL Certificates
GlobalSign offers the following SSL certificates:
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL shows the green bar of assurance in the address bar to promote trust with all of your customers. Their EV SSL also supports certificate transparency to enable green address bar in Chrome and comes with a $1.5 million underwritten warranty.
- Organization Validated (OV) SSL Certificates allows wildcard options that secure unlimited sub domains for one or more domains on one certificate. Wildcard SANs options allow Wildcard options within multiple SANs within a certificate and come with a $1.25 million underwritten warranty.
- Intranet SSL is perfect and the cost effective solution for securing internal servers and applications. This SSL certificate will eliminate the need to run your own CA or use self signed certificates for all special use cases. This also includes wildcard options and more features.
- Domestic SSL is the economical and quick way to easily implement security on your website. Their domestic SSL is fully automated, which means that you can start protecting your entire website within minutes.
- Multi-domain SSL also referred commonly as SAN Certificates that can secure up to 100 different domain names, sub domains and public IP addresses, using only one SSL Certificate and requiring only one IP to host the Certificate.
GlobalSign SSL Certificate Prices
GlobalSign has the following prices for their SSL certificates:
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL starts at $599 for a 1-year plan.
- Organization Validated (OV) SSL Certificates starts at $349 for a 1-year plan.
- Domestic SSL starts at $249 for a 1-year plan.
- Multi-domain SSL starts at $249 for a 1-year plan.
- Wildcard SSL Certificates starts at $849 for a 1-year plan.
Each of their plans includes 2 and 3 year plans and more options at additional costs.
GlobalSign Customer Help Features
GlobalSign has numerous help files and a feature that can help all customers choose the best SSL certificate for their exact website security needs. Their website also includes SSL tools like an SSL server test, SSL inventory tool and a PDF signing tool.
DigiCert is located in Utah and has been in business for a decade providing SSL certificates and SSL management tools for many thousands of customers. They serve over 115,000 customers in more than 180 countries including Facebook, Yahoo, IBM, Paypal and many other well known companies.
DigiCert SSL Certificates
DigiCert offers the following SSL certificates which all include 2048 bit encryption and authentication. Their SSL certificates are as follows:
- SSL Plus certificates: This is a single name SSL certificate that provides encryption and authentication for one domain.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL: An extended validation SSL certificate can increase a company’s customer conversion rate and customer confidence with the green bar of assurance with this SSL.
- Extended Validation (EV) multi domain SSL: The same great assurance that works with multi domains.
- Multi Domain SAN Certificate: Multi domain certificates or SAN certificates use Subject Alternative Names to secure multiple websites with one certificate.
- Wildcard Plus certificates: This is an SSL certificate for unlimited servers and domains. These Wildcard certificates use Subject Alternative Names (SANs) to secure a domain and all of its first-level sub domains. For example, a certificate for *.example.com secures www.example.com, mail.example.com, etc.
DigiCert SSL Certificate Pricing Plans
DigiCert has the following pricing plans for each of their SSL certificates:
- Standard SSL certificates costs $175 for a 1 year plan and $257 for a 2 year plan.
- Extended Validation (EV) SSL costs $295 for a 1-year plan and $234.50 for a 2-year plan.
- Extended Validation (EV) multi domain SSL costs $489 for a 1-year plan and $395.50 for a 2-year plan. The 1-year plan includes 3 additional names at $99 per additional name and the 2 year plan includes 3 additional names for $169 for each additional name. The 2 year plan is their best value.
- Multi Domain SAN Certificate costs $299 for a 1-year plan and allows 4 additional names, each for $49. The 2-year plan costs $269.50 with 4 additional names at a cost of $79 each. The 3-year plan costs $239 with 4 additional names at a price of $99 each.
- Wildcard Plus certificates costs $595 for a 1-year plan, $535.50 per year for a 2-year plan.
DigiCert offers one of the best ways to protect your business and website from brute force attacks by using 256-bit encryption along with 2048-bit root certificates.
DigiCert Document Signing Certificates
DigiCert also offers several types of signing certificates including:
- Code signing certificates
- EV code signing certificates
- Document signing certificates
Code signing certificates are important and used by software developers to digitally sign a program to prove that it has not been altered or compromised by a third party.
Their document signing certificates are very flexible and used for Adobe PDFs, Microsoft Office, OpenOffice and LibreOffice documents. DigiCert offers 1 year, 2 year and a 3 year pricing plan for all of their document signing certificates.
GeoTrust is the world’s second largest digital SSL certificate provider and one of the most recognizable SSL certificates on the internet. They have over 100,000 customers in more than 150 countries. In addition to offering SSL certificates, they also have signing products.
GeoTrust offers SSL certificates and the ability to secure online information and protect your brand all within your company’s budgets. Their solutions include the following advantages for all types of business and industries including:
- Retail: Increase your customer’s confidence in your brand and business website.
- Education: This will secure the transfer of information between students, faculty and staff with reputable low-cost SSL.
- Financial Services: Not only will this solution help securely deliver online services to your customers, but also make sure that you stay compliant with federal regulations using a reputable low-cost SSL provider.
- Healthcare: Deliver secure online services and information and meet compliance obligations.
- Government: Stay e-government compliant and stay within your budget.
- Developer solutions: Use code signing certificates to assure your customers of the authenticity of your applications.
GeoTrust SSL Certificate Products and Advantages
GeoTrust offers many types of SSL certificate products, each with their own advantages and features that include:
- True Business ID with Extended Validation (EV) is great for maximum security and credibility. This SSL certificate includes the green address that confirms the highest level of authentication for your website.
- True Business ID with Organized Validation (OV) is great for businesses to assure your customers that your business and eCommerce website is secure and trustworthy.
- True Business ID Wildcard allows you to secure an unlimited number of sub domains. Most of these certificates are issued within one day.
- Quick SSL Premium Wildcard provides flexible SSL security for unlimited sub-domains across a single domain, and most certificates are issued within minutes.
- Quick SSL Premium with Domestic Validation (DV) is a cost efficient way for websites that need encryption only SSL certificates.
- UC / SAN is an affordable and flexible option that allows you to secure different domain names with just one SSL certificate.
GeoTrust Signing Service Products
GeoTrust several different signing products to cover any need you have that include:
- Symantec Certified Document Solutions allows all authors to create Abode PDF files that clearly certify to recipients that the author’s identity has been verified by a trusted organization and that the document has not been altered.
- Code signing allows you to add a digital signature to an application to help customers validate the software developer's identity and confirm the integrity of code for desktop and wireless applications.
- My Credential / EPM (electronic postmark) Credential allows customers to create digital signatures for email and other personal communications, and encrypt confidential information in emails for better privacy and security.
- Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) Solutions goes to Symantec and gives digital signing, authentication and SSL encryption for enterprise-wide deployment from Symantec.
GeoTrust SSL Prices
- True Business ID with Extended Validation (EV) starts at $299.
- True Business ID with Organized Validation (OV) starts at $199.
- True Business ID Wildcard costs $599.
- Quick SSL Premium Wildcard costs $745.
- Quick SSL Premium with Domestic Validation (DV) costs $149.
Their prices are spelled out nicely and they offer great charts for all customers to compare prices and features at a glance. The above prices are for a 1-year plan, they also have 2 and 3-year plans at good savings over the 1-year plan.
GeoTrust is also offering a free SSL trial at this time.
AlphaSSL is a specialist entry level SSL provider. They focus on providing customers with delivering and supporting affordable and cheap SSL certificates. Their SSL certificates are all highly trusted and supported 256 bit encryption SSL certificates. They want it to be known that they are not any old reseller as they are powered by GlobalSign.
AlphaSSL SSL Certificate Features
All AlphaSSL SSL certificates have the following features:
- Issuance in three minuets or less time
- 2048 bit root strength
- 256 bit encryption strength
- Unlimited server licensing
- Secures both www and non-www versions of your websites
- 24/7 online ordering
- A clickable secure site seal on your website
- Risk free refund policy
- Full browser and mobile support
- Full WebTrust compliant
- No faxes or phone calls needed before issuance
AlphaSSL SSL Certificate Prices
AlphaSSL has just two SSL certificates and they are the lowest prices offered that I have seen. There prices are:
- AlphaSSL SSL certificates cost $49 for a 1-year plan, $88 for a 2-year plan and $120 for their 3-year plan.
- AlphaSSL Wildcard SSL certificates are best to secure all of your websites, main domains and sub domains. The 1-year plan costs $149, the 2-year plan costs $268 and their 3-year plan costs $366.
Both of their SSL certificates are issued from the 2048 bit GlobalSign Root Certificate, a well known and trusted SSL certificate company.