Furniture Quality and Customer Service Reviews: Overstock.com vs. Fashion for Home vs. Club Furniture.
Overstock.com has seven furniture categories. Each furniture category has many sub-categories. In addition, Top Sellers, New Arrivals, Top Rated and Featured Sales are listed as furniture sub-categories, providing consumers with hundreds of choices, including pieces made in the USA.
Customers can surf the site based on the amount of money they are willing to spend. Overstock.com lists furniture prices from under $100.00 to as high as $600 or more. Overstock.com furniture quality and price as compared to clubfurniture.com and fashionforthome.com, can be described as 'middle of the road.
Overstock provides good quality furniture for a decent price, dependent on the furniture choice. There are a little more than fifteen hundred furniture pieces available for less than one hundred dollars and almost four thousand are listed for $600 plus. Customers may also surf the Overstock.com site by star rating.
Overstock.com's star rating system permits customers to rate products up to five stars. The more stars the better the rating. Customers may also write a description of their buying experience and the condition of the purchased product. The site does not eliminate negative ratings, so that only five star ratings appear. A careful perusal of the site and consumers will spot positive and negative furniture reviews by customers, although it is assumed that Overstock.com would of course tout the best reviews. Real life reviews are also below.
At the time of writing, there were more than 6,800, four+ ratings, 2313 pieces of furniture were rated by three or four stars and only 903 had less than three stars registered by Overstock.com consumers.
The following are a few non-biased, real-life reviews of Overstock.com furniture purchases gathered from secondary sources.
From Democratic Underground-consumers wrote these reviews of Overstock.com furniture products.
- "I bought a Futon from Overstock.com. It was the largest item I've ever bought on-line. I was very happy with the quality and delivery of the mattress." Secular Motion
- "I got some great deals from Overstock.com and saved $1200 on a refrigerator over Home Depot's price." Bonnie M
From The Knot, a bride wrote this about her buying experience and the quality of a piece of furniture she purchased from Overstock.com.
- Our bed is from Overstock. The bed is great, but we did have a problem due to shipping. The bed we ordered weighs a TON and was in 2 huge boxes. It probably should have been in 3 or 4 boxes. The first one got here and the box was ripped and the footboard was dented. We called and they shipped another one right away. The footboard was also dented on that one. We called again, they shipped another one and thankfully it was good. The bed itself is very sturdy and we really like it. Despite the problems, Overstock was wonderful and very easy to work with. They ended up giving us a discount because of the inconvenience. The shipping was amazingly fast. The problem was how the bed was packaged and the fact that it was too heavy to be lifted by one person, so whoever delivered it was probably dropping and dragging it, which dented the footboard. I would absolutely recommend Overstock.
From Reseller Ratings a couple of consumers had less than stellar reviews of their experience with Overstock.
- STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS SITE. I put in an order during Black Friday this year and thought all was well. Then I saw other sales on the same item but didn't purchase them because of my order Overstock. Hadn't heard one thing about my order and so I contacted them 2 weeks later about it. (2 WEEKS without a confirmation or update on the order). The person on the other end could not give me a straight answer as to what the status was and even attempted to lie to me about it "shipping soon" and it being "delivered before Christmas". They couldn't even tell me if they even had it in stock at their warehouse. Then 3 days later, I receive an email stating "the trailer carrying your [PRODUCT ORDERED] was stolen" blah blah. Anyway, I'm out an important Christmas present for somebody, missed the other Black Friday sales on the same item, and now have to fight the last minute shopper’s rush because of this.
- Overstock is mainly a drop-shipping company. That means they sell other company's inventory and then the other company, the Overstock Partner, ships it to the customer. The selection process for these Partners needs to be improved upon. Some of them are not reliable enough.
Individual posts from Facebook rated Overstock.com products.
“I was very happy with my experience with Overstock.com. After purchasing a set of chairs that arrived damaged, Overstock replaced them without cost to me. The original chair, received from Overstock was a sturdy durable chair. But arrived with the material pulling away from the frame. Overstock sent a new chair, that was just as sturdy but had the fabric correctly intact. Ken has not had a problem with either chair since.” Ken S.
"No complaints with Overstock.com. Great experience. I purchased this for my dining room in 2009. The cost was a little over $200.00 dollars-so it was very affordable." Alice M. (From Facebook entry)
Alice of Michigan took the picture below. Alice remains happy with the product, having purchased the table several years ago. Alice calls the table sturdy, strong and a long lasting piece.
Fashionforhome.com has five classifications of furniture from which consumers may choose.
- Sleeper Sofas
Products are not sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting to be purchased. Furniture products are not manufactured until the consumer orders them.
Fashionforhome.com does have one showroom in Berlin, where the company is headquartered.
Reviews of real customers from fashionforhome.com are below and were originally expressed through the customer feedback company-eKomi. EKomi guarantees the following reviews are the reflections of real customers.
- This is my second purchase from Fashion for Home. Delivery has always been on time, if not early and I have not had a damaged product yet. I will definitely order again.
- Very fast shipping, no hassle. We are very happy with our sofa that we purchased. Item was like description.
- I am satisfied with the company service. One thing I wish to improve is delivery if possible. And I would like to comment about your product, when I got the chair from the company I put it in the room and we had chemical smell in the room for 5-7 days...
- We ordered a swivel chair and it's just what we needed. Online photo and description were accurate. Sturdy and quite handsome considering that it's vinyl. The cover zips off, an additional plus.
From twenty-eight customer reviews, Fashionforhome.com received a 4.8 average out of 5 point rating system.
From Review Center.com eleven customers dropped reviews of fashionforhome.com. Reviewers gave the site a rating of 3 out of a possible 5. A few reviews follow.
- Big, comfy and fun! Ordered two red beanbags for my 16 and 18 year olds to have in their rooms. They love them. They are big! Worth getting an idea by using the measurements on the website to measure the same area on the floor. That said they also could be shaken upright to put against the wall if you need to. The material is hard wearing not soft, but the only complaint I've had is that they are so comfy they can't get out of them! Sure they will be a great success in the garden too if we get a summer!
- "Don't waste your money. Very, very poor service and quality. “The boxes for my sofa were mixed up so I ended up with half of my sofa and half of someone else’s'. I had to chase fashion for Home constantly to get the issue resolved which was a massive inconvenience. I had to take time off work to be at home to get the rest of my sofa, and the delivery only ended up being at 7pm. The quality has also been sub-standard-the feet fell off my sofa after one week and it sits unevenly because I've had to patch up the legs with felt pads. As an apology I got a code for 10% off my 'next order'. This will never get redeemed.
- Check your goods!!! Just refused delivery of an item for the second time. They sent me heavily damaged goods the first time round. Offered me a derisory refund to keep it and save them the hassle and expense of replacement. I refused (people don't want damaged goods in their house) and asked for a replacement. I also asked for it to be checked before it left them. Just refused second delivery because inspection at the door revealed damages again but worse still somebody had very crudely tried to touch it up. I feel like they have treated me like I'm a fool.
As expected, Fashionforhome puts its best foot forward on its testimonial page. All of the testimonials from customers are positive. Here are a few.
- "Everything was perfect, from the price to the professional delivery. We love our two new Moon chairs and we’re really excited to start using them. They look great on our terrace and are the ideal final touch to our modern home. We particularly like the color and the fact that they are waterproof. Thanks again, FASHION FOR HOME!" - Michael C.
- "The product meets all my expectations — and even exceeds them. The two armchairs fit perfectly into our living room and provide a great contrast to our classic sofa. The Customer Service was reliable and friendly," - Jörg B.
Clubfurniture.com celebrates 15 years in business this year and sells North Carolina furniture. Furniture from clubfurniture.com is durable, sturdy and is what one would expect from a North Carolina furniture dealer.
The on-line store has eight categories of furniture from which consumers may choose.
- Living Room
- Dining Room
- Home Office
Clubfurniture.com does not have a showroom but will provide free fabric swatches and a guidebook. A consumer’s purchase ships 4-6 weeks post order. Like fashionforhome.com, Clubfurniture does not construct the furniture piece until after the piece is ordered.
Clubfurniture.com does not ship to Alaska, Hawaii or to an APO address.
The following are a few independent reviews of furniture products purchased from ClubFurniture.com.
Real life customer reviewers from Yahoo Shopping had the following to say.
- I' ve ordered twice now from Jeff and Darrin...great guys to work with. Furniture truly is very well made with all of the features of the same items costing much more. I have purchased their Jackson and the Cole Club chairs. Clubfurniture is very generous with swatches and will even send you a cutting (larger swatch) just before you finalize your order. Shipping with A&O can be hit or miss. But the pricing for shipping is remarkably low. The drivers are always great though. I don't usually write reviews but I saw that there are several suspicious Poor reviews that are repetitive and inaccurate. In fact one of the reviews says that Overstock has better furniture. Absolutely untrue. Shop at Clubfurniture with confidence, folks!
- Absolutely untrue. Top-notch customer service and the workmanship is high end. I was first a customer in 2004 and went back for slipcovers to change up the look. The Camden sofa has held up perfectly these past 7+ years. But again, the best part of this experience was the customer service. Well, done.
- I was looking to buy a new sleep sofa. I wanted it to be made in USA I found sofas made in U.S. but not sleep sofas. So I went online and after hours or research decided I would work with Club Furniture. They sent me a fine selection of sample materials. It was only 8 weeks until Christmas and I never thought I'd get a custom made sofa in that amount of time. But I got it in 6 weeks or less. And it is gorgeous. Everyone loves it as it is so comfy and looks so perfect. This is really the place to get what you want. Believe me. I'm picky.
- My experience is as follows: after placing the order and confirming it, I waited two months-including several phone conversations, and then emails, which were never replied to. Ultimately, I was told that the item had been sold to another customer. Hardly, could I say that this was anything but a frustrating, undignified, unprofessional experience. Nothing but a "so sorry" was offered.
A negative review of clubfurniture.com was registered on the site 'Pissed Consumer.com." What is most interesting is a response from the owner of clubfurniture responded to the negative review. Both are below.
- I bought a sectional from clubfurniture.com because of the great reviews and of how much it looked like pottery barn furniture. Don't fall for it! The furniture is sub par and when I tried to return it, I had to argue with owner. He was very condescending and rude; although their policy states, "hassle free" The whole experience was nothing but a hassle. I called almost every day and left a voice mail, and would never get a call back. This is not a way to do business and just wasted $3000. Don't make the same mistake that I did".
The owner of club furniture’s response to the negative review:
- Dear Anonymous, as the owner of clubfurniture, I don't believe this review accurately reflects our company values. Unfortunately our competitors sometimes lack a moral compass and post fake complaints. If this is by chance a real complaint, please feel free to call us anytime, as we would be happy to fix any issues. Sincerely, Jeff King Owner clubfurniture.com.
A few reviews from the clubfurniture.com site. As with Overstock.com and fashionforthehome.com, it is not a surprise that the site registers positive reviews. However, external reviews seem to support the entries.
- We've had our sectional furniture for a few weeks now, and it looks and fits how I pictured it would in our room. The color of the fabric is exactly like the swatch that I chose it from, and it’s very comfortable for either sitting or laying down. This is the first time I've ordered furniture on-line with a large purchase price, so it was definitely a leap of faith on my part. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in a furniture store, so this was the next best option. Ordering was easy, talking to the representatives from your company was informative and all my questions were answered, and although I thought it was going to take longer to get my shipment, it arrived promptly. We haven't had to wash any of the slip covers yet, so I can't comment on that, but I hope it is as advertised, and if I follow the instructions, they should launder just fine. We couldn't be happier with our purchase thus far. M. TSchochi North Carolina
- To All at ClubFurniture.com, THANK YOU! My leather ottoman arrived and was beyond my expectations. I am so happy and pleased with the customer service and the merchandise. I will definitely be making additional purchases from ClubFurniture.com in the near future. Thank you! D. Hayes, Indiana
- Thank you for a great online buying experience! Your customer service every step of the way to ensure I was happy with my purchase was spot on. I love my ottoman and I would definitely tell others what a great company you are to do business with. D. Palmer, Georgia