FreeCodeCamp vs. Treehouse vs. Codeacademy vs. Udacity: Coding Bootcamps Compared
Coding and Programming Schools Reviewed
This article reviews four companies that help people learn to program and code computers. What a great way to learn a new career or enhance your current job. Whether you are a veteran just out of the military or someone in their 50’s, you can learn a new skill and get hired in a field that is in demand.
FreeCodeCamp is an open source community that helps everyone and anyone learn how to code. You can learn coding through their coding challenges at your own pace. In addition to these coding challenges, you can also build projects, work with others and earn certificates.
FreeCodeCamp donates their code to non-profit organizations, and so far they have donated over $1 million of coding to non-profits. Once you complete 1,200 hours of coding challenges, you will be able to build a series a challenges for non-profits.
In order to get your Full Stack Developer certificate, you will have to complete about 2,800 hours of coding. This is about one year of full time computer coding, but it is completely at your own pace.
FreeCodeCamp offers forums where you can talk to other programmers and discuss projects and announce that you have completed an interesting app that you developed. Their forums are a great way to get help and feedback.
They also have a chat board that allows members to chat with other programmers. This feature can really help you get over the hump with some of the tougher programming issues.
FreeCodeCamp is completely free to join and use. They recently completed their courses in React/Sass and D3 projects. If you want to code with other programmers in your city, they have an extensive list of cities.
As of today FreeCodeCamp has the following accomplishments:
- 17 million coding challenges solved
- $1 million in donated development work
- More than 2,000 people currently have developer jobs thanks to FreeCodeCamp.
You can start coding today for free.
How Treehouse Works
Treehouse offers customers the opportunity to learn coding from their library of over 1,000 videos that have been created by their experienced teachers. Their library contains videos about coding in web design, coding in general, business and much more. Their library is continuously updated, so that you never fall behind in web technology.
You will learn coding and programming with Treehouse by practice, which is really the best way to learn any skill. Learning your programming and coding skill is accomplished through quizzes and interactive code challenges. Their style of practice will help you to retain information and the knowledge you will be learning. As they say, practice makes perfect, and with their system, this is true.
What You Can Learn at Treehouse
Here are some a few of the great programming skills you can learn at Treehouse:
- Build a website: At Treehouse, you will learn the basics of building a website that includes an introduction to basic HTML, advanced HTML and text editors.
- Learn to code: You will be able to learn coding and technologies such as Ruby on Rails.
- Building Apps: One of the hottest fields today is writing apps, and Treehouse can help you learn this. You will learn the language, tools and concepts to write the apps that you have always dreamed of.
- Start a Business: Starting a business is never easy, but with Treehouse, you will learn how to get your business started off on the right foot. Topics covered are marketing, corporate structuring, finance and more.
Treehouse offers a free 7-day trial period. After the free trial, their costs are $25 per month or $250 annually with the first 2 months free.
Codeacademy can help learn how to code. If you have never learned coding or programming before, or if you want to enhance your career, Codeacademy can help you. They are an education company with a mission to rethink education from the ground up. Every business needs coding and programs including healthcare, commerce and social networking.
Codeacademy has a great list of accomplished students that went on to have great jobs. People that want to change careers even in their mid 50’s have gone on to programming jobs because of their training with Codeacademy.
What You Can Learn at Codeacademy
Codeacademy has some great stories of their students that went on to great programming carries including:
- Tommy, who went from not knowing anything about coding to building Time’s 50 best websites.
- A lady in Seattle changed her career at age 55 to become a programmer.
There are also great stories from customers like the one from Sam Felling in New York City about “How to Outgrow the Fear of Starting.” Codeacademy gives students the power to overcome the fear of coding, and the ability to learn and start a new career.
Codeacademy has courses in many programming languages and areas including the following:
- Make a website
- Ruby on Rails Authentication
- All areas of SQL
- HTML and CSS
- Learning APIs
At Codeacademy, you can learn to code interactively for free and it is a simple sign up.
Working for Codeacademy
Codeacademy also has a great list of job openings for all types of needed help including engineers, mentors, advisors and many more areas.
Udacity is another fine coding school that can help everyone and anyone learn coding. They have many opportunities to learn coding for free. Udacity offers Nanodegree programs to help everyone and anyone get ahead in the world of programming and coding.
Their website lists many examples of their Nanodegree graduates that have gotten great jobs at companies like:
How Udacity Works
With Udacity, you can choose the Nanodegree program you are interested in, and every one of these programs is to advance your career or teach you exactly what you want to learn. The advantages of Udacity include:
- Choose your nanodegree program: Every one of their programs is designed to advance your career in programming.
- Immediate support and reviews: They offer student service, career and project review teams to ensure that you do succeed.
- Amazing community: You will be able to connect with instructors and coaches in forums to track your performance.
- Valued credential: After you have learned your new programming skills, you will earn credentials that are recognized by industry leaders.
- Land a job: All of their Nanodegree graduates will receive career support plus a job guarantee.
Udacity offers a 1-week free trial or you can sign up for Udacity Premium. Unfortunately, they do not list their prices, so make sure you check on this, plus they are not forthcoming answering email questions about their prices. Nanodegree plus also has a job guarantee.