Facilitate Effective Teaching: Functions of The AssignmentFitness Gear & Equipment
In order that the assignment will serve its purposes, it must be purposive; it is the paramount duty of the teacher to ensure that all assigned learning tasks are important and meaningful to the learners.
There are a number of functions of assignments. These are:
- To set the goal or direction of the learning task: The learners are supposed to know what the learning activity is all about. The assigned task must be clear, definitive and purposive.
- To stimulate logical and creative thinking: It is also an opportunity to train and develop good habits.
- To recall previous lessons in preparation for a long test or it may be recall for organization of ideas and concepts and other relevant information
- To motivate the learners and prepare them for the learning task to be done: The preparation includes giving the background, the coverage and difficulty of the activity, why they are supposed to do the assignment and the benefit they will experience.
- To determine and plan out learning activities to be undertaken: Interesting and challenging activities and within the capabilities of the learners that will answer their needs should be chosen by the teacher. These activities may involve practical exercises to reinforce what has been taught; completion of a project or an experiment began in class; collection of specimen for biology class, research work for the solution of a problem, preparation of arguments for a debate forum or research and preparation of materials and literature for a panel discussion.
- To provide directions and other requirements for the learning activity: for example, clear instructions as to steps and procedures, sources and availability of learning materials, and criteria for evaluation of the finished project. It may be noted that in some cases, many assignments are left unfinished because directions of how the learning exercise should be done are not clear and definite. Besides, some materials necessary for the completion of the project are not available.
- To develop attitude and establish desirable habits of studying regularly: The stimulation and urge to study once the habit has been formed, become powerful motivation especially when the learner realizes that doing the assignment is a natural growth of past and present lessons. It has been observed that, some pupils/students study only when they have homework or lessons to do. By giving regular assignments, will in effect, help them, realize its value and develop the habit of studying.